COVID Quarantine and Whole30 was a life changer

Christievans98

Life and routine as I knew it changed dramatically on Friday, March 13, 2020 as it did for most everyone when suddenly schools and businesses were closed in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. I was visiting my endocrinologist that day when the call closing school came to me.  My weight at that visit was the heaviest that I had ever weighed at 214lbs.    As I sat at home day in and day out with my special needs son, I realized that I had two choices.  I could either eat myself into oblivion due to sheer boredom or I could use this gift of time productively to make some life changes.  I decided it was time to re-evaluate my habits and begin a journey to a healthier me.  I had turned 50 in January and was officially old and obese.  You name it as far as diets or programs went and I had tried it.  NOTHING worked!!! I had been diagnosed with two different auto-immune disorders and my metabolism seemed to be at a complete standstill.  I did not think I would ever be able to lose weight again.  Then one afternoon on my daily drive just to get my son out of the house, I was listening to the radio when the host started to share his personal journey with Whole30.  Something just clicked and I thought why not try one more time even though it probably won't work since nothing else has.  I immediately came home and ordered every book I could get my hands on from Amazon.  

Once the books arrived, I could not read them fast enough.  This program really began to speak to me and resonate in the deepest parts of me that had felt like a failure and had become hopeless.  I set my start date for my first Whole30 for March 27, 2020.  I prepped my kitchen, myself and my family for what was about to take place over the next 30 days.  I used the Day by Day guide to help me stay on track and continued to read, research and meal plan throughout the 30 days.  The first week was hard, the second seemed to get better and by the third week I was feeling so much better physically.  The taste of real food seemed to improve so much as my system cleared itself of all the toxins and yuck that I had been filling it with for so long.  As I approached the end of my Whole30, I made the decision to extend it into more of a Whole45 because I wanted to be completely clear of all the effects of my poor eating habits for years.  When I returned for another doctors visit at 40 days into my Whole45, my doctor was astonished that I had lost 15lbs.  Honestly so was I!!! I knew I was feeling better and noted several great NSVs but had not weighed myself since I knew the doctors visit was coming up.  I was eating lots of food.  Lots of good, delicious and nutritious food and was still losing weight and feeling wonderful.  How could this be?? Obviously there was something to this Whole30 program.  

It has now been four months since I began my Whole30 journey.  Now I can say that I am working on true "Food Freedom".  I also began to channel my newfound energy into exercise and physical fitness training in May.  According to my last doctors visit two weeks ago, I am officially down 30lbs and 25 inches over my whole body.  However the weight loss is not the most important aspect of this journey.  I have found myself again.  The self that I thought was gone forever.  The person who feels confident in her own skin and who has energy and stamina.  I wake up daily more refreshed and ready to exercise and face the day than I did 20 years ago.  My clothes are falling off which is funny especially since I haven't been able to go shopping during quarantine.  I'm now walking at least 3 miles a day, weight and flexibility training and can see major muscle changes and definition.  Let's just say my husband is enjoying all my new energy and confidence as well!

Melissa - I cannot thank you enough for all you have put into the Whole30 program.  It has been a game changer and a LIFE SAVER for me.  I was on my way to a heart attack and major health issues before starting on this journey.  I still have 40lbs to lose to be at the weight my doctors think is best, but for the first time in forever I honestly believe that this goal is achievable because you have given me the tools and knowledge I need to succeed.  I do not have to count calories, buy pills or special foods.  I get to enjoy eating real food that is delicious and still lose weight and inches.  Whole30 has changed my life!!!!  The attached pictures were taken 60 days apart and approximately 20 lbs down.  I was shocked by the difference as I have never done before and after comparison pictures where you could actually tell a difference before.  Again - THANK YOU Whole30!!

IMG_1290.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived