Whole30 in Germany

Semi

So, I'm on Day 4 of my very first Whole30.

It's not as hard as I anticipated and I'm really happy about that.

So I went searching for W30 compliant condiments and sauces and truth be told: I didn't find much here in Germany. Went to 3 different stores and I only found:

• hot tabasco
  • hot ajvar
  • hot mustard
  • some liquid smoke spray
  • tomato passata

I guess I have to make my own sauces. At least I already have some spices at home.

Found out that regional sourced free range meat is really really expensive. Like really expensive. Bought some meat on monday, spend over 30€ and it was used up by today.

So I had to buy more meat. And spend another 40€. Just on meat. 

Of course I could buy the cheaper options but I don't think it ethically responsible (also the people slaughterinng the animals from mass farming are badly paid, live in terrible conditions and have an higher risk of catching Covid).

I will either have to eat more eggs (used 18 eggs since Monday!)  or eat more veggies (I already eat a ton of them) so it's a bit of a struggle.

Good news: My eczema is already clearing up and as long as my hand doesn't catch dirt it doesn't even itch! For itch-frees days! Longest time in the last 2 years!

Will write more tomorrow!

I hope everyone has an amazing day!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I got my period.

Normally that means a week of very hard pms'ing, cravings and bingeing ahead.

Last month I had a terrible migraine and my blod pressure was very low.

The last 5 days? Nothing!

No cravings, barely any water retentions (not more than I expect with around 32°C outside), no Binge Eating.

Just a bit of cramping in my back and stomach.

Quite honestly one of my best PMS's in the last year.

I'm totally happy with Whole30 until now.

I'm thinking about doing it for 40-50 days. Or doing a very slow introduction of foods (like one food group per week) so I can really pin point what is causing the inflammation and the eczema. :)

Good luck to you!  I also have itchy-issues.  I dont know of it's eczema..it appears as red inflamed small areas my fingers and toes when I eat certain foods..I haven't been able to pin it down either.  Only happens 1-2× per month.  

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right path!  Hope the next week goes well for you!

2 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Good luck to you!  I also have itchy-issues.  I dont know of it's eczema..it appears as red inflamed small areas my fingers and toes when I eat certain foods..I haven't been able to pin it down either.  Only happens 1-2× per month.  

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right path!  Hope the next week goes well for you!

Hello!

Could be very well eczema, you could clear it up with a dermatologist. Normally they also do some bloodwork and can pinpoint you to the cause :)

Day 5 starts with veggie hash with eggs.

It was delicious, although I still feel hungry, even after eating the whole pan alone (with some avocado and a banana).

Thinking it's my period. Not craving sugar or anything, just feeling tired and a bit low.

Still better than usual, but I don't feel as good as the last 4 days.

Also it 8 a.m and I already prepared Cauli Flower Rice and chicken breast. So I only need to steam some veggies in the Instant Pot. It's expected to get around 35°C today, so I really don't wanna cook in the middle of the day.

It's so awesome that you are already experiencing such positives!  It takes me about 3 days, too, to begin to see reduced inflammation and joint pain.  

Re the sauces:  I'm in the United States, so I'm not sure if this is helpful or not...I order some things from Thrive Market.  They will often have sales and free offers of full size products.  I've also ordered sauces from Amazon, that they are a bit pricier.  It isn't hard to make your own, just takes time.  I made all my own my first couple of W30s, but it is nice if you can find a few to use on those days where you just need to make something quick.    

I guess I could probably find some in another health store, but they would be expensive (same online, Coconut aminos cost around 10€ m( )

Found a "problem" I'm breastfeeding, excercising and often carrying my 1 yo around ( also  active life style), so I eat tons and tons of stuff. I plan meals for 2-3 days and eat everything within 12 hours. My problem is that I'm allergic to nuts, so I can't snack on them. Normally I fill myself up with whole wheat pasta etc and don't need to  eat so often...my food bill is rising quite fast and my meat consumption isn't moderat anymore ( I also eat tons of fats, since Monday about 3 kg of veggies and around 1 kg of fruits) m(

I really hope this balance itself out m(

Also my 3 yo boycotts everything that I cook and offer her, even the favorites from the kids section I found here.

I'm at my wits end: No meat, no eggs, no fried potatoes, no burgers, instead she wants bread, pasta and chocolate (which she barely gets).

I really try to change her habit and to animate her to eat at least some veggies. I even hide them inside meals, as soon as she tastes the offering, she says "There are veggies in it. It's disgusting" -.-* I'm beyond frustrated. I also have a sleep deficit, thanks to her.

Today I ate:

Cauliflower Rice with chickenbreast, the veggies form breakfast,  at least half of a small hokkaido pumpkin and some avocado.

Also blueberrys and rasberry.

At least one Wiener Sausage

I also exercised, walked 10 floors of stairs, took a round with my bicycle trailer and two kids in it (and some stuff, so I had to drag around 40 kg behind me, while it was 35°C outside.

If I read this it's really no wonder, that I'm hungry.

I'm also menstruating, but emotionally more stable than the last month, energy level were also quite good until now.

Tomorrow we will go to the sea and spend a day there. I will need to prepare some food.

Right now I'm preparing baked pumpkin and potatoes.

I'm thinking about dumping some minced meat, some potatoes, zucchinis & carrots in my instant pot, bc I don't want to cook. Maybe I will do the Pizza Egg Muffins again...

Just realized:

I can't basically eat anything at my MIL.

We're staying there for 10 days.

Breakfast: White Bread/Whole wheat Bread, Magarine and Jam.

Lunch: Theoretically compliant, although she is using canola oil, other non compliant ingredients (butter) and the portions are pretty small.

• Positive: There will be potatoes. And some canned green beand and baby carrots
  •  Negative: I will not be satisfied by that. I will starve.

Tea Time: Black Tea and cake/other sweet stuff.

Dinner: White Bread/Whole Wheat Bread, Magarine, Deli Meats, Cheese, Jam.

And I can't cook there, like I cook at home (2-3 times/day). m(

She will hate me.

Either I will solely sustain myself on already prepared meats from the butcher ( and I can guarantee they are fried with canola) or I starve myself on avocados, some potatoes, no breakfast and no dinner and I can't eat a salad 3 times per day, bc 

1. They want to share and taste it.
  2. She will think it highly offensive and rude.
  3. I'm quite sure I can't eat my at least 3000 kcal on that kind of stuff.

Oh Fork.

Day 6:

Breakfast:

Fried eggs and fruits. This morning no veggies. Need to go shopping this evening.

Prepared some meals for our day at the sea. Basically just meats and sweet potatoes. Also some fruits, bc it's summer and that's the only time in the year where I eat much fruits, I normally prefer veggies.

Will also take carrots with us.

Feeling okay. Bit itching in my eczema (maybe bc I'm mentruation AND it's hot as hell, so I'm swaeting. Still bearable.

I hope the beach won't be to full. <3

Have a nice day, everyone!

Went to the sea.

Friend offered me cookies and cake. Said "no", swamm 45 Minutes, ate my chicken breast, sausage, sweet potatoes and some carrot.

Home again.

Climbed 15 floors today.

Dinner: Salad, Champignons filled with egg, steamed broccoli and zucchini, selfmade guac.

3 hours ago, Semi said:

Went to the sea.

Friend offered me cookies and cake. Said "no", swamm 45 Minutes, ate my chicken breast, sausage, sweet potatoes and some carrot.

Great job resisting the sweets!  I'm so jealous of you swimming at the beach!  I would have to travel 3.5 hours to get to a nice beach :(

Resisting the cookies was suprisingly easy! I just had to look away :D

3.5 hours? :(

That's really uncool. :(

We have ton of lakes/seas in our region, most with nice beaches.

Although we would have to travel around 6 hours to the ocean, bc I live in southern Germany. Quite sure, that southern France would be closer, than our own shores...

Cooking this https://therealfoodrds.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-chili/        in my Instant Pot for lunch.

Started at 11.30 am, now it's 1 pm. Not a very quick meal tbh. Okay, I used frozen minced meat and had to thaw it in the Instant Pot first.

We have no canned pumpkin in germany, so I only cubed it. If I want pumpkin puree I have to prepare  it myself.

Living here is somewhat inconvenient right now.

Found another trigger food:

Red Bellpepper.

Had Omelett with bell pepper today and some bellpepper yesterday. Now it's itching.

Knew that vit C rich food can cause itching with excema, so there's that. Another Food I can no longer eat.

This itching hurts. Terribly.

Day 7:

I feel not too good tbh.

Energy levels are crap, I'm unmotivated and sweating like hell, even though we hav 20°C outside.

The sweating I know from my last weightloss: I sweat like hell, if I burn body fat. Every time, but it doesn't feel nice.

I crave carbs. I simply want a muffin. Or pasta.

Instead I had potatoes in my chilli.

The last days were alright, but today? Today is a stupid day.

Tried making healthy, no sugar pancakes for my 3 yo with the almond meal from my homemade almond milk.

Well, it didn't work out to well, the almond meal was to wet and it seems I didn't put enough coconut flour in it.

Nonetheless: Smelled delicious.

Read the SWYPO Article.

Have to disagree: I absolutely enjoy cauliflower crust pizza and after years of living dairy free: No, I don't miss cheese or the sugar (there isn't any in my homemade sauce).

Same with selfmade pancakes without any sweeteners: I do enjoy the taste of banana. For me, it's decidely not like "Sex with your pants on", it's more like "Trying new stuff, which doesn't harm you as much as your regular activities, in the bedroom and finding out you quite enjoy it."

Quite honestly: If "SWYPO" Stuff keeps me off eating regular stuff, then I take it.

I already can't eat bell peppers and all that delicious Vit C rich Foods, I'm also allergic to fish and most nuts.

Probably should reduce the tomatoes a bit for the next days, just to make sure, that I'm not reactiong to them.

Will feed the pancekes to my child. I'm quite curious if she will eat it, even though it's sugar free.

16 minutes ago, Semi said:

Same with selfmade pancakes without any sweeteners: I do enjoy the taste of banana. For me, it's decidely not like "Sex with your pants on", it's more like "Trying new stuff, which doesn't harm you as much as your regular activities, in the bedroom and finding out you quite enjoy it."

Quite honestly: If "SWYPO" Stuff keeps me off eating regular stuff, then I take it.

I already can't eat bell peppers and all that delicious Vit C rich Foods, I'm also allergic to fish and most nuts.

Probably should reduce the tomatoes a bit for the next days, just to make sure, that I'm not reactiong to them.

Will feed the pancekes to my child. I'm quite curious if she will eat it, even though it's sugar free.

Fed them to my little monsters. They finished them all.

Will need to work on the texture and the sustenance. So they're fuller faster.

First Week: DONE!

It was easier than I thought.

Ate tons of meat, too much tbh.

Some NSV:

• My atopic eczema on my right hand got better.
  • Most days I have a more stabilzed Energylevel
  • I seem to loose some body fat (the pouches on my back are smaller)
  • I feel more rested in the morning.
  • My mood is more stable.

I found that I actually enjoy almond milk, if it is completly unsweetened AND unroasted,

What I will change this week:

I will eat more seeds (chia pudding!) and I will try out eating peas, bc I eat a ton of food.

Also I need to figure out a way to meal prep, right nowI spend half the day in the kitchen and the food is gone, even if I double the recipe, bc my husbands started eating my food (he does a low Carb Diet, I had a moderate Carb Diet, with more protein, before W30).

Day 8:

Meal 1: Chia Pudding with Cashew Seeds and some fruits

Snack: Coconut Yoghurt with 100% Cacao, some flax seed, some berries

Meal 2: Curry-Soup with sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Broccoli, carrots etc and green beans.

Snack: Wiener

Meal 3: Some fried eggs or fried bacon with curry

Having a headache, unmotivated, missing sugar a bit or at least pasta. I will survive.

22 hours ago, Semi said:

For me, it's decidely not like "Sex with your pants on", it's more like "Trying new stuff, which doesn't harm you as much as your regular activities, in the bedroom and finding out you quite enjoy it."

I agree with this 100%.  If it's an enjoyable and compliant alternative that doesn't send me into a sugar-seeking frenzy I think it's a win! 

I wasn't here over the weekend, so I had to catch up on your entries...I have to say, I was laughing at the image of carrying a breastfeeding one year old while trying to make a three year old eat something that did not resemble a cartoon character's meal.  Ahh, I remember those days!  :lol:

Great job on your first week, with all the challenges you encountered.  I do find that eating more fat (more than I thought I ever should) is more cost-effective than the meats and keeps me filled up until the next meal (so no need to snack).  Also you mentioned the red peppers causing a reaction and needing to watch out for the tomatoes...are you sensitive to nightshades?  

2 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

Great job on your first week, with all the challenges you encountered.  I do find that eating more fat (more than I thought I ever should) is more cost-effective than the meats and keeps me filled up until the next meal (so no need to snack).  Also you mentioned the red peppers causing a reaction and needing to watch out for the tomatoes...are you sensitive to nightshades?  

I'm histamin intolerant, so I'm allergic to stuff like pollen, fish, some nuts etc

That also means I'm more sensible to stuff with much histamin in it (like red wine, even if I can consume small amounts).

And bc of the eczema that also means I am sensible to Vitamin C rich foods ( so I don't eat oranges, bc then I'm itching).

2 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

I agree with this 100%.  If it's an enjoyable and compliant alternative that doesn't send me into a sugar-seeking frenzy I think it's a win! 

I wasn't here over the weekend, so I had to catch up on your entries...I have to say, I was laughing at the image of carrying a breastfeeding one year old while trying to make a three year old eat something that did not resemble a cartoon character's meal.  Ahh, I remember those days!  :lol:

Got the 3 yo to eat the "pancakes" yesterday and today she at least drank the soup from the curry.

Maybe I will get her to eat at least some veggies m(

She never ate stuff that looked like cartoon (save for dino chicken nuggets)...but she is addicted to soft pretzels and so picky m(

Day 9: Have some bloating and gas since yesterday.

Next time I will try to cook the peas longer, maybe this will help, some were still pretty hard.

Breakfast will be some thing with eggs and fruits and avocado.

M2: Potaoes, Spinach and eggs.

M3: Something with meat. Probably some salad?

I want to eat chocolate. Dark chocolate. Like 95% dark chocolate.

It would be really nice.

It would also be nice to eat some cake. I want to eat plum cake. I love plum cake. And they're only in season late July/August.

Somewhat sad, that I won't get cake.

Archived