Whole30 in Germany

Semi

Day 9: Sugar cravings are hitting me hard.

I simply want some pastrys from the bakery.

Probably bc I dialed back my fruit intake a bit, quite honestly: I wouldn't be surprised if I hit ketosis accidently, although I'm eating potatoes so probably not.

I will eat more fruit, bc I helps me to control myself.

I nearly ate my kids dark chocolate...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10:

I feel like shit again.

I crave carbs and simple meals.

Cooking 3-4 times/day is horrible time consuming and I have 3 upcoming exams, I have to study for.

Food prepping doesn't work here, bc every time I prep miraculously everyone want to eat more than any other time.

I crave simple oat meal for breakfast.

I also miss the taste of plum cake (which is a seasonal food).

I'm no longer energized and I feel like the reduced carb intake.

My mood is horrible and I feel somewhat depressed.

Nearly broke my W30.

Already prepared oats and granola. Then 2 packs of almond milk were bad. So my W30 was saved by bad almond milk.

Instead I ate coconut Yoghurt with tons of chia seed, flax seed,pumpkin seed and blueberrys. Also some raisins. Tasted yummy.

I still miss cake.

Whole30-Timeline-COLOR-Smaller.jpg

Calendar seems on point right now, although: I'm  dreaming of cake, my pants are tighter, I'm somewhat bloated and I am tired.

But the bad almond milk was a sign from the universe to stay on course. Even though I would kill someone for this fucking plum cake.

(I normally eat 1-2 pieces per week, when it's in season...)

Can someone explain this "Tiger Blood" to me??

The cravings/dreams are the killer, but I too have experienced that divine intervention that saved me from breaking the W30! 

Tiger Blood at it's best is a feeling that you can do anything, that you have the energy, motivation, will power, strength, stamina, etc to accomplish your goals.  It manifests differently for everyone - for me, it's a general sense of peacefulness, of feeling settled into W30 and able to choose foods wisely and without much effort or cravings.  I've read of some experiencing boundless energy and others uncertain that they've ever reached this stage.  You spoke earlier of wondering if you were in ketosis-this helps me to reach the Tiger Blood stage, limiting my fruits and high-carb vegetables and approaching/being in ketosis.  Everyone has different ways of getting to Tiger Blood, though.  

That plum cake sounds amazing, and I have no idea what it is!  Just knowing someone else wants it so badly makes it appealing :lol:.  This would never work for me, but can you freeze a piece to enjoy later?  

image.thumb.png.220386f755987e24b4940ba26b734f95.png

The idea with freezing it, is really good!

I do so crave it, it's just traditonal southern german food, like Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Blackforest Cherry Cake) (one of the few exceptions for my vegan living was this cake!).

I just hope that I will get over this cravings. Fast.

We will visit my MIL next Tuesday and stay there for 10 Days! And they have traditonal filled butter cake...

Quite honestly: Germany is the country of cakes and I'm dying... m(

6 minutes ago, MadyVanilla said:

That.  Is.  Beautiful.  I could never survive living in Germany...filled butter cake??  As if the plum cake isn't tough enough to resist...

We eat ton of cake. For every occassion there is some baked goodness and every season has their own cakes.

We enter plum cake season, but also apple cake season...and I really want forking cake.

Life without cake is horrible, I mean it's cake season!

If I break this W30 it will be at my MIL Place, when we have our daily tea time (at 4 o'clock!)

That's what filled buttercake looks like. It's either filled with vanilla pudding cream or buttercream. It's tasty.

image.png.5f2621e78daf650e4d12031440dd6334.png

M1: Coconut Joghurt with Seeds, many many seeds (Chia, Flax, Pumpkin).

M2: Burger in Salad, Guac, veggies and self made fries.

M3: more burger and self made fries: Also more guac.

Oh, those cakes look so very good.  My hope is to learn to shush my Sugar Dragon on demand, so that I can enjoy things like you've shown here and not be drawn into an ongoing battle.  

13 hours ago, Semi said:

Can someone explain this "Tiger Blood" to me??

If you can continue to turn down all of the temptations, you should expect to feel Tiger Blood around this time next week.  For me it was a game changer.  It feels so good that I crave to have it again.  I had excellent sleep, woke up early (6:00am) and felt immediately awake and wanted to get things done.  I had steady high energy until bedtime (10 or 11pm), then went to bed and fell asleep almost immediately.  It really is a beautiful feeling.  The thing is that for me I learned that I need to be strictly on Whole 30 for at least 2 1/2 weeks before Tiger Blood kicks in.  It's really hard to do, and hard to keep doing.   

I'm cheering for you, I hope you get to feel Tiger Blood soon!

Today is Day 11!

I do feel better.

Energylevels are stable, mood is stable and totday I have the patience of a saint.

Studied a bit for my exams, was outside, did a bike tour with the kids.

M1: Scrambled eggs with pumpkin seeds and raisins. Also tons of veggies and some berries.

M2: Just fruits. It's so hot, that I don't want to cook or eat.

M3: Some Burgers or the chopped pork, some potatoes and some veggies. Also: PUMPKIN!

M3: Pumpkin with the fried pork and tons of veggies. It was SO good. I LOVE Pumpkin.

Tomorrow I will probably encounter another hurdle:

It's the last day for the preschoolers in the Kindergarten, so there will be a celebretions. Afterwards there will be FREE ICE CREAM.

Also it will be hot as hell (around 32°C, something aroun 90 °F), probably hotter in the sun.

Today we did a little  8 km bike tour, I was on the play ground with my 1 yo, I didn't snack.

Energylevel was stable, concentration was ok (it's HOT here, how can I study??), had to take the stairs 2 times, so I walked 9 floors up and down.

Day 12:

Yesterday evening I let myself feel the feelings which I normally "treat" with food: Loneliness, the fear of not being good enough, anxiety over my upcoming exams etc

It wasn't nice.

Today I "treat" myself and bought 2 slices of plum cake, which I put into the freezer. Will buy some more and my freezer will be full of cake by the end of August.

Although September is the beginning of PSL Season...so many choices. m(

M1: Tons of fruits, bc I have nothing to cook in.

M2: Burger Patties and veggies.

M3: Some chopped pork and stuff?

20 hours ago, Semi said:

Afterwards there will be FREE ICE CREAM.

But is it going to be the good, worth-it ice cream?  :lol:

It sounds like you are getting lots of movement in, despite the heat.   That's awesome.  

4 hours ago, Semi said:

Yesterday evening I let myself feel the feelings which I normally "treat" with food: Loneliness, the fear of not being good enough, anxiety over my upcoming exams etc

It wasn't nice.

Nothing to say here, except yep, it's awful.  But necessary.  I so struggle with this, too.  

45 minutes ago, MadyVanilla said:

But is it going to be the good, worth-it ice cream?  :lol:

Yes, it would be worth it, but I stayed strong. Ate my meat and pumpkin beforehand and now will eat some cold Banana. :D

I broke my bike yesterday and had to walk. Walking is horrible. It's so hot.

Day 13:

5 year wedding anniversary.

M1: Scrambled Eggs with raisins and bananas (AWESOME!), two sunny side up eggs on Sweet potatoe toast with avocado mash

M2: Something light and fruity (36°C, nearing the 100s °F).

M3: Eating in a "Biergarten" (a kind of pub with local cuisine), There will be meats and I hope I can pair them with salad, otherwise I will eat stir fryed potatoes. :)

Have an amazing Day!

@Mikaliki Yeah, I'm a bit upset about my broken bike. I really like biking to places with the kids in the trailer. I will have to bring it to the repair place, after our holiday. :/

Had to cook the german version of mac and cheese: Some pasta, magarine and (vegan) cheese (my 3 yo can't eat dairy).

One of my fav meals. Instead I had meal 2: Coconut Yoghurt and tons of fruits, seeds etc.

We will go out in about 4 hours.

Right now I'm studying and drinking Iced Coffee Nr 2.

2 minutes ago, MadyVanilla said:

Congrats on the five year anniversary! 

Thank you!

I love warm raisins, they somewhat taste sweeter than normal, but also softer, I guess?

:)

6 hours ago, Semi said:

M1: Scrambled Eggs with raisins and bananas (AWESOME!), two sunny side up eggs on Sweet potatoe toast with avocado mash

23 minutes ago, MadyVanilla said:

I love fried, slightly charred banana with cinnamon mixed into scrambled eggs.  I will try throwing in some raisins next time.  

I have never thought about this, but I guess eating warm bananas is a thing?  Thanks for posting, I will give this a try!

Congratulations @Semi on your anniversary.  

38 minutes ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

I have never thought about this, but I guess eating warm bananas is a thing?  Thanks for posting, I will give this a try!

Congratulations @Semi on your anniversary.  

Thank you!

Did you never ate Baked Bananas?

They're so gooood! :)

I am so frustrated.

Told 3.5 y.o the whole midday: Take a small nap.

When does she take a nap? 30 Minutes before we wat to leave for the pub.

So instead of having pub food, I cook at home:

Chicken wings, veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes.

I am so hungry and the food will need at least another hour (sadly 4 lbs chicken wings (big ones) don't fit into the instant pot. Right now the last 2 are in and pre cooking. My potatoes are already roasting and if they are finished, I will put my meat in the oven and the veggies into the instant pot to steam.

I want ice cream and I feel angry.

Archived