Gin's 6th Whole30 Log

Ginsky

August 1st 2020

Day 1

I made a big pot of hamburger soup, all compliant ingredients  so that's going to appear in my log quite a lot over the next several days.  It's what I had for breakfast as a matter of fact.  

I decided to have a big plate of turkey and spinach for lunch which was very filling.  Due to my error in ordering groceries, I have a lot of turkey as well.  hahaha  

I didn't feel like I had room this afternoon for much eating so I just made a cucumber salad with a little bit of chicken liver pate that I made to freeze in portions.  Even that made me feel stuffed. 

Day 2

I felt head-achy and miserable all day.  I'm not sure if it's from Whole30 hangover effect or the tropical storm that is passing up along the east coast.  

I had turkey and spinach with a fried egg on top for breakfast.  And that was pretty much the end of my motivation to cook for the day since my appetite really didn't kick in even after eating.  

I had hamburger soup for lunch, was really grateful to past-me for making it. 

I didn't even want dinner so I just threw together a salad of mixed greens and olives.  I managed to finish it so I felt accomplished. 

I drank a lot of water through the day hoping to chase the headache away somehow.  It didn't work. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow but at least I have plenty of soup to get me through even if I don't.  

Day 3

The passing storm really did a number on me.  Weather headaches are kind of my thing. lol  I decided early in the morning (about 1am) that the hamburger soup would be my breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I did dice up a yellow squash to add a little bit of extra veggies to it though.  

Day 4

Staying on track.  I woke up thinking perhaps the headache was fading away but it got stronger as morning progressed.  Perhaps this is grief taking form as I suffered a tragedy but was unable to deal with it right away as I had to handle other emergencies surrounding it.  Emergencies are settled so perhaps this ensures grief can have its turn finally.    

I was very happy to have so much turkey and spinach plus that soup ready for reheating. Turkey and spinach  for breakfast and dinner while the soup was for lunch.  And there's still a whole lot of both left.  I don't really have an appetite so I don't mind the lack of variety.  I am being sure to eat properly though and did include some black olives and homemade mayo (not both together) in different meals.  

Being able to fall back on something simple and already prepared IS comforting when not feeling well emotionally and physically.  And it helps to have nourishing food so that you don't have to put thought and energy into making meals.  I'm glad you are able to maintain eating properly and that you hopefully now have the time and space needed to grieve.  

6 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

Being able to fall back on something simple and already prepared IS comforting when not feeling well emotionally and physically.  And it helps to have nourishing food so that you don't have to put thought and energy into making meals.  I'm glad you are able to maintain eating properly and that you hopefully now have the time and space needed to grieve.  

Thank you.  This entire Whole30 might be more like these first few days and I'm fine with that.  I don't know if I would be eating right this month at all if I wasn't doing a Whole30 so that's good.  

Day 6

Hamburger soup for breakfast and it was delicious.  

I managed to get motivated to make some fresh mayo, dump ranch dressing, and a coconut milk yogurt attempt.  I had wings in the fridge so I rubbed them with a bit of Cajun seasoning and popped them in the oven.  I had them with some hot buffalo sauce and a bit of the fresh ranch dressing I made.  Oh, and a salad with more of the ranch dressing.  There was a lot of everything so that became dinner too.  

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a jar of yogurt.  It's not even that I need it for my Whole30 but I would like a reliable non dairy yogurt I can make to avoid the high prices and garbage additives in most store bought ones.  While I had jars on the counter for the mayo and dressing seemed like a good time to try it.  I may try other recipes eventually.  

Day 6 (for real this time, lol)

I didn't even realize I labeled my entry yesterday as Day 6 instead of Day 5. 

I didn't sleep well last night, I'm irritable and stressed out, but who isn't feeling that this year?  

I had my soup for breakfast.  I really love this soup, I might need to make a fresh batch once I finish this one off.

I went for a swim a little after breakfast so I had some turkey for a snack after that.  

For lunch I had chicken wings and a side of spinach with black olives.  

Dinner was baked stuffed (with turkey of course lol) zucchini boats.  I have a bunch of zucchini so perhaps I'll make that again soon.  I used tomato paste and coconut milk for the sauce and sprinkled with nutritional yeast for extra umph.  I've done similar dishes with other squash and veggies in the past but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've used zucchini and I have no idea what took me so long.  

I still have about half a pound of cooked ground turkey in the fridge and 3 more pounds' worth of spinach turkey burger patties in the freezer thanks to my mistake when placing my last grocery order.  I'm not even a big fan of turkey, I just like to put it into my diet once in a while.  I doubled everything in my cart somehow.  Now that I've finished off the spinach, I need to put more effort into all the salad greens.  I refuse to let any of it go to waste.   

22 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

Oh this sounds good. 

People look at me sideways when I tell them what I eat for breakfast.  I can't wait for cooler weather to have this for my M1, and tell about it Hahaha. :P

I live in Florida and I still love having hot soup for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner!  

15 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Dinner was baked stuffed (with turkey of course lol) zucchini boats.  I have a bunch of zucchini so perhaps I'll make that again soon.  I used tomato paste and coconut milk for the sauce and sprinkled with nutritional yeast for extra umph.  I've done similar dishes with other squash and veggies in the past but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've used zucchini and I have no idea what took me so long.  

I am overrun with zucchini-thanks for giving me a new idea to try!  

Day 7

I'm still tired and was seething with envy when a friend of mine announced she'd just had a nap.  I'm working my way through all the stuff I need to eat so it doesn't go to waste.  

Breakfast was a little late because my cat had an early morning vet check up and I just had no appetite yet before leaving but I had big salad with lots of ground turkey and dump ranch dressing once we got home.  

I had soup for lunch and then a little snack of the yogurt I made, thumbs up but I might try a recipe for thicker yogurt next time.  I tried to be productive today but felt pretty brain-reluctant and tired.  

I had a smaller salad with a little bit of ground turkey, dump ranch dressing again.  I wasn't really hungry but I didn't want to skip it only to end up eating like a beast at bedtime.  I'm so tired, have I mentioned that?  I can't wait for bed.  

I hope you were able to get some good sleep.  It's hard to function and make good choices when tired, but you are doing it!  I too was sooo tired my first week of W30.  Then I had a high energy day and thought, "finally!" and then I was super-tired the next day or two.  It worked itself out...one of the other forum members reminded me to be kind, gentle, and patient with myself as my body adjusted to the positive changes I was making and to the emotional challenges I was experiencing.  

Day 8

Today I decided was the day to finish off all the salad mix and the ground turkey I cooked up previously.   I did it!  I didn't think the salad greens would stay nice for another day so I really was determined to finish them before any sogginess or wilting got going.  ick  It was a very salad kind of day.  haha

I had a small portion of soup, the last bit left, with a small salad (with turkey and dump ranch dressing.  

Lunch was a big salad with turkey (dump ranch dressing).  And that was the last of the ground turkey so hooray!

Dinner, guess what, the ribs I bought smelled so bad when I took them out of the package (not expired either but still bad) so that killed my dinner plan.  Luckily I had leftover wings so I had the last of those with the last of the salad mix (dump ranch dressing and nutritional yeast).   I'm annoyed about the ribs, it was going to last for a few meals but I'll take it up with the store later.  

Day 9

Oh wow did I ever feel slow this morning.  I get up at 5am every day but had to do an online face to face call to Japan at 6am this morning so I couldn't go back to bed or even stay foggy brained.  I made myself some coffee, not normal for me, using coconut milk instead of water and it was delicious.  Because coffee is not my usual thing I used half regular and half decaf and that ended up being just right.  yokatta! (よかった!) 

After my call I made 3 sunny side up eggs and green beans for breakfast.  

I decided to go for a swim to get some exercise.  I felt a little bloated but that didn't stop me from donning a bikini and grabbing a water bottle.  It was such a nice day and the water was so nice I ended up staying for hours instead of just the 20 minutes I originally thought I'd take,  I didn't get back until it was almost dinnertime so I just wrote lunch off and set to making that. 

Dinner was baked Cajun cod with roasted Cajun potatoes drizzled with buffalo sauce and a side of green beans with black olives.  That was so yummy it was difficult not to eat the other piece of cod that I made for tomorrow.  

Day 10

I wanted some non compliant things, which I didn't have.  I felt tired but didn't feel the need to resort to coffee.   I think I felt kind of blah today but I made it through.  

Breakfast, had that extra piece of Cajun cod with a cucumber salad.  I was so happy to have that delicious cod waiting for me.  I need to make that more often. 

Lunch, I made a bunch of stuffed zucchini boats using ground beef.  I had stuff to do after lunch and knew I wasn't going to want to make dinner so I made a double batch.  I think this is my new favorite way to eat zucchini.  

Dinner, the rest of the zucchini boats!   Also had some of the coconut yogurt I made.  I gotta get more coconut milk, this stuff is great.  I'm allergic to avocado so can't use that as a source of fat.  Maybe I'll eventually try some other yogurt recipes with homemade cashew milk or even homemade coconut milk since I have raw cashews and shredded coconut.  Eventually being the operative word.

Day 11

This morning feels so long ago!  I felt more like myself today, still tired but the desire for non compliant foods has waned so that's good.  Last night I took something out of the freezer to have today for lunch and also put a can and three jars on the counter for my breakfast.  I was extremely happy today that past me did this.  

Breakfast- Baked artichoke hearts and kalamata olives with tuna.  The artichokes were marinated and came that way right out of a jar, all compliant ingredients.  Lol  This whole meal came out of 2 jars and one can yet came together nicely and tasted fully home cooked for very little effort.  I needed that this morning.

Lunch- homemade chicken liver mousse on cucumber slices.  I made the mousse a while ago (Whole30 compliant!) and froze it in portions.  It's really delicious, I made it with apple, cashews, and coconut milk.

Dinner- I made halupki today so had some for dinner.  I snacked on a few olives while it was in the oven.  I've been eating and making halupki since I was a kid so I don't have a recipe but just made compliant adjustments as needed to keep it fully Whole30 friendly.  I made a lot. I'm sure I'll freeze some so that will be nice to have.  I love halupki so that really cheered me up this evening.  

Day 12

I woke up at 4:15 feeling okay today, no unusual cravings, it made me really happy to open my fridge and see the gorgeous platter of halupki waiting for me.  As happy as seeing it all beautifully laid out there made me, I had to break it up into portions to freeze most of it.  Right after that I grabbed the remaining cabbages out of the fridge and got that all shredded (I prefer using a knife by hand), salted, and into jars to become sauerkraut.  While I was in a fermenting mood, I set up a new batch of coconut milk yogurt so it could hang out on the counter with the jars of kraut.  I still had the inner leaves from the cabbages whose outer leaves became halupki wraps so I chopped that up into bigger chunks and fried it with onions and garlic using a bit of ghee.  That's another childhood favorite.  Then I grabbed the chicken breasts from the fridge, pounded and sliced it, then put it into a brine and back into the fridge, should give me 3 or 4 meals.  Busy morning but when you get up so early, you can finish a lot before anyone else even wakes up.  

Breakfast- halupki!  There was no way I was going to skip it when it made me so happy to wake up to it.

Lunch- spinach turkey burger with a generous heap of homemade mayo and a side of fried cabbage and onions.

Dinner- chicken with zucchini and yellow squash in lemon and basil.  I snacked on yogurt while making it to make sure I had enough fat intake today.

Day 13

I woke up feeling normal and competent.  I went for a walk and a swim after breakfast.  I got scallops, enough for about 4 meals.  I cooked all the scallops and used half of those to make a fra diavolo and put the other half away lightly seasoned so I can decide later how I want them.  It'll depend on my mood, I have plenty of ideas.  I finished off the last of the yogurt this afternoon just in time to get the new batch into the fridge.  The sauerkraut jars are doing well on the counter.  

Breakfast- poached eggs seasoned with dill and a side of fried cabbage and onions with a dab of coconut milk yogurt.  

Post exercise snack- cashews.

Lunch- halupki with a little coconut milk yogurt. 

Dinner- scallops fra diavolo with kalamata olives, zucchini, and yellow squash.  Plenty leftover for tomorrow.  I love having leftovers, it's like someone else cooked for you.  

Day 14

I felt fine all day today so that's good.  I had a few purple sweet potatoes in the fridge so I decided to shred them this morning.  It wasn't worth dragging the food processor out of the cabinet, looking for the right blade, and dealing with disassembly and clean up so I just shredded by hand, it was quick with a much easier clean up.  

Breakfast- purple sweet potato hash browns, coconut milk yogurt on the side, and scrambled eggs

Lunch- Scallops Fra Diavolo (hooray for leftovers!) It included zucchini, yellow squash, and kalamata olives.

Dinner- Fried cabbage and onions with grilled chicken breast.  Also had few cashews as a snack while grilling.  

Day 15

Nothing unusual to report, pretty normal feeling day.  I made some zucchini and yellow squash soup so I can have that as my vegetable with meals over the next couple of days or so.  Sauerkraut is coming along nicely, can't wait until it's done.  

Breakfast- scallops vol au vent with purple hash brown patties.  I made up the recipe to be fully Whole30 compliant as I went along and am so happy with how it turned out.

Lunch- chicken with a blended nut and seed sauce (made in my mini food processor) and a big side of fried cabbage and onions to finish that off.

Dinner-gingered zucchini+yellow squash soup and scallops vol au vent.  

Archived