Whole30 + Crossfit = weight gain - why?

Mimi777

Hi there,

I'm 46 years old, have been on the W30 many times over the years - has always been awesome as a solid reset for me. Love the energy and always lose a kg or 2 in the process.

Over the past 10 months or so I've been a little slack with my usually quite disciplined eating and put on about 5 kg, feeling tired and bloated etc. I thought I'd reign that back in by getting on a Whole30 for the last month and upping my Crossfit training from 3 to 4 times a week. I've also been doing yoga once a week, walk my dog  and generally spend a lot of time outdoors.

I started at 60.5 kg and am now 61kg.  I've never experienced that before doing a Whole30 - anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Usual-ish day of meals:

Start with 1 cup of tea with homemade almond milk, 2 cups of coffee with almond milk.

Breakfast is leftover dinner so maybe roast chicken and veg or chicken stirfry

Morning tea: handful of almonds
Lunch: tinned salmon with veg, avocado, sauerkraut, mayo

Afternoon tea: apple with a spoonful of almond butter

Dinner: roast/stir fry/meatballs/some kind of meat + 2/3 veg

Drink plenty of water throughout the day and herbal teas.

My work means I'm sitting all day.

I get plenty of sleep - 9pm-530am.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo, first - ditch the scale. It's literally a rule that you're not supposed to weigh yourself. 

Second - let's take a look at why you're snacking. Are you hungry or is it a "I always have a snack with my morning and afternoon tea" kind of thing? Maybe phase those out and focus more on making sure you're getting good post-workout snacks after CrossFit, and pre-workout depending on if you feel like you need it, since those aren't mentioned at all.  

Third - how do your clothes fit compared to when you started the Whole30? Half a kilo is a totally normal weight fluctuation. If you worked out hard the day before you weighed yourself, that would easily be water stored for muscle recovery. 

Archived