Guess who's back? Back again, Schrodey's Back...

SchrodingersCat

On 8/14/2020 at 11:45 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

I've decided Saturdays I'm going to cook as if I was throwing a dinner party, but just for the hubster and I. 

I love this.  On a related note, I was watching a movie the other night where the parents and their only teenage child had a number of dinner scenes.  Each time, they sat at the dining room table, with candles lit, and discussed the events of the day.  I thought, "How lovely.  There is such little effort that goes into taking a plate to the dinner table and lighting candles."  Of course, the scene was completed by a bottle of wine shared between the husband and wife...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Anywhoo. I said to the hubster this morning that when I have to go back to the office (not this side of new year's by the looks) I won't know how to work in anything but PJ pants lol. Hopefully they'll be a smaller size at least.

Relating fully to this statement. I heard someone refer today to jeans as "hard pants" — I laughed in recognition. Please don't make us go back to the land of hard pants!

Hope you get a great night of sleep.

6 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

I love this.  On a related note, I was watching a movie the other night where the parents and their only teenage child had a number of dinner scenes.  Each time, they sat at the dining room table, with candles lit, and discussed the events of the day.  I thought, "How lovely.  There is such little effort that goes into taking a plate to the dinner table and lighting candles."  Of course, the scene was completed by a bottle of wine shared between the husband and wife...

I admit, we tend to eat at the coffee table, in front of the TV lol, but this meal I made sure to platter up and make it pretty! We also did a "Christmas in July" a few weeks ago, which we actually set the table (including Xmas decorations) and had proper dinner, so nice! (I miss the wine... lol)

2 hours ago, Contessa said:

Relating fully to this statement. I heard someone refer today to jeans as "hard pants" — I laughed in recognition. Please don't make us go back to the land of hard pants!

Hope you get a great night of sleep.

OMG, they will forever be hard pants. Heehee!

Sleep was better but not great, I was stressing about something workwise, and so when the garbage truck came at 6, I was awake and ended up getting up early to get a start on it. I just usually sleep like the dead by now!

I also still have a headache - last round's diary shows that it went for a good 2-3 weeks into the round. It's not helped that my home office isn't ergonomically perfect, so I desperately need a massage/chiropractor which are off the cards right now.

So thought I'm not counting to 30days, I'm still counting days so I know where I'm at work time vs symptoms. Day 7 - sleeping better but not amazing (though I suspect that's more to do with the fact the world is going to hell in a hand basket and I'm trapped in my house that diet), still have a headache, still have vertigo. Oral allergy has cleared up, rarely needing lip balm (still my weirdest NSV). Way less bloated. Still having gastric issues, that's not settled yet. Overall, i'm not struggling at all, but I'm still waiting to really start feeling good.

Oh, and obvs I did not get my 30 minutes exercise yesterday. I will try again today, but it depends on vertigo and the like. 

Meals today - I think I'm going to freeze the rest of the soup, I've been eating it for a week. Lunch can be tuna, pickle and egg salad in cucumber boats because they need using up.

Dinner, hmm. I have a couple of chicken marylands, I could do something with those...

I would really really love to have a day without a headache, vertigo, and exhaustion. Please. W30, do your thing. 

The headache is killing me. I don't like taking painkillers every day, but it's becoming necessary. I really hope I start mending soon. I need to tattoo this to the back of my hand to put me off ever backsliding again!!

Dinner has changed, we're having beef, smoked tomato and mushroom sausages (homemade), with mashed cauli and parsnip with ghee, and broccoli, carrots, beans, and wilted spinach. I'd like some sort of gravy, but defrosting bone broth reeks of effort. 

16 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

rarely needing lip balm (still my weirdest NSV)

Hmmm....me, too.  I thought it was just because I wasn't riding around in my car all day (this is where I most frequently apply lip balm), and so I got out of the habit.  But it makes sense that it's a NSV-my elbows are no longer dry and I attribute that to positive diet changes, so why not the lips, too?? 

I like the idea of a tattoo reminder - why do we let ourselves backslide so much knowing these consequences?  You're almost over it, I know you'll make it to the other side of those physical symptoms.  

7 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

Hmmm....me, too.  I thought it was just because I wasn't riding around in my car all day (this is where I most frequently apply lip balm), and so I got out of the habit.  But it makes sense that it's a NSV-my elbows are no longer dry and I attribute that to positive diet changes, so why not the lips, too?? 

I like the idea of a tattoo reminder - why do we let ourselves backslide so much knowing these consequences?  You're almost over it, I know you'll make it to the other side of those physical symptoms.  

The lip balm thing didn't hit me until about round 3 - It's just something I do multiple times a day which stopped! It makes sense, because W30 also gets rid of my oral allergy, but it was something that I never even realised was an issue until it wasn't.

So the W30 gods heard my prayers and I slept really well last night, even after the hubster got up crazy early for a meeting (he works for a US company and often has to be up at 5am to video in to team meetings), I went right back to sleep and didn't budge until the alarm. Let's hope the NSVs keep rolling!

I also chucked on jeans yesterday which I hadn't worn since Saturday (so only 3 days) but they fit better - one of my most immediate results is losing belly bloat. 

Hoping to duck out today to buy fish for dinner. Whether I can or not will dictate today's meals, really. I don't have anything pre-planned for lunch, but I haven't frozen the soup so that will feature, I'm guessing!

OH, other NSV that just occurred to me - standing in the kitchen I realised that even though work has ramped up and is getting pretty crazy, my anxiety is WAY down. Like, it's not proportionate to the work I have, and not at all out of hand. I'm also a lot clearer headed, not great but a vast improvement.

Lunch is soup and boiled eggs. Simple but it works.

G'morning!

Slept much better again last night, my Fitbit even tells me my sleep rating was good! Not that I need it to tell me, but it's an interesting metric, especially where it says I was awake but I have no memory of that.

It's a lovely morning here, I might try and get out for a walk before it all goes to hell - they're predicting rain and cold for the rest of the week. 

I have macadamia milk in my coffee this morning - it has a much nuttier taste than the coconut and almond I usually use, I think I like it? 

Foooood today? NFI! I have the very last of the soup (I love that soup but I'm glad it is done - note to self, next time freeze half!), and I have 3 hard boiled eggs, so I'm getting that will be my fast n easy.

Dinner - I have video cooking date with my friends, no set menu but I need something that's fun to cook but doesn't take forever. I do have those chicken marylands - I actually have spinach and cherry tomatoes, I might finally try the W30 Tuscan Chicken that people rave about! 

Otherwise, I feel like I'm starting to feel good effects. Vertigo still there, but it's not utterly constant, it seems to get worse later in the day. It also seems to get worse immediately after eating, which is odd. Same with headache, I don't not have a headache in the morning but its not as bad, but gets worse throughout the day. I'm still tired, but that's my life (and I suspect a lot to do with my other health issues). 

Still failing o this exercise thing. I have my Fitbit now, the strap has been broken for ages and I've set my goal for 5k steps (down from 10 k when I would hit that just through the day with work and public transport) so maybe that will motivate me a bit?

OMG, the Tuscan Chicken is AMAZING!! I really didn't expect it to be this awesome. I'm very impressed, and so was the hubster! 

Took a big walk with the doggo today, and I'm planning on getting up earlier to get a 30 minute elliptical or a couch 25k in on the mornings the hubster has to get up early for meetings. I had a chat to my BFFs tonight over video, and it was lovely, but one of them was a zero exercise person pre-lockdown and now is running 10ks, and we chatted about how it's just routine and there are no excuses at the moment, and she's right! I used to be pretty fit, and I hate that I'm not. I need to start making my health a priority, not just in diet but in movement as well.

Morning all! 

Well, of course I did end up waking up early but after serious thought remembered I really hate working out in the morning, lol. So I had a leisurely morning and will get some exercise in at lunch or after work. But there WILL be exercise!!

Vertigo is present this morning right from the start, which is irksome. I also have a headache. Thank goodness I kept a diary last round or I'd be feeling really let down! Gotta push through to that 2-3 week period. (Sorry, I know it seems like I harp on about this, but keeping these day to day logs of symptoms has been so valuable for me, going back in subsequent rounds!!)

So it's almost the weekend. Not sure what I'll get up to, depends what comes in the mail today. I'm waiting for supplies for my new cross stitch project and if they arrive, I can start that, but if they don't, I'm not sure. I might whip up some tomato relish. Maybe some Kasundi. I feel the need for new condiments!

I have an amazing recipe for beef brisket in pomegranate sauce which we might have tomorrow. we shall see. 

Tonight we have a Zoom movie night, we're watching Bring It On! - an old group favourite. I'm making salt n pepper chicken ribs and slaw. Nice and easy.

Not sure what's on for meal 1 - I'm finally out of soup. Might just have tuna salad in cucumber boats.

Very late meal 1 but damn, it was good, and fast and simple! Just frozen cauli, brocc, beans and carrots, heated up in a frypan, threw in some ghee and a couple of slices of shredded prosciutto, cracked 2 eggs over it then when it was cooked, topped with with Salsa God Hot & Spice Fire Roasted Salsa. YUM.

Mucky horrible Saturday here! I've done very little, meal 1 was leftover chicken ribs and slaw. I've been working on my new crossstitch today. It's hugely ambitious, beyond anything I've made before, eek!

Dinner will be roasted turkey drums with root vegetable mash, brussel sprouts and broccoli, and turkey gravy made from pan drippings and potato starch.

Happy Sunday, mucky day again but I believe I'm starting to feel good effects - I actually got up and went out to the garage and did 30 minutes on the elliptical. 

Bit of vertigo but I think it is easing up. Minor headache but improving. I've also not ad to take antacids since I started, which is one of my fav things about W30! Still tired, still have brain fog. I have  bit on anxiety and I'm down, but that's work and lockdown related - no diet makes up for going into week 3 of being trapped in your home 23 hours a day.

Meal 1 was leftover turkey, root veggie mash and green beans

Meal 2: As has become my habit, 1 meal a weekend is fancy pants! So on the menu:

• 6 hour slow roasted brisket in pomegranate and pecan marinade, with a pistachio mint gremolata
  • Roasted veggies: dutch carrots, cauliflower leaves (mind never headed but apparently the leaves are great roasted), kalettes (Just found these - they're a kale and brussel sprout hybrid!) and beets in balsamic reduction

I'm roasting a bunch of veg so there will be leftovers.

It's Monday, apparently. A friend has started referring to every day is Blursday, and I like it. My days are "workday" and "non-workday". 

It's hideously cold - I'm in trackies, hoodie with hood pulled up, fuzzy socks, and I'm swilling herbal tea like no one's business.

Food today - Leftove brisket with sauteed broccolini.

Dinner will be steak, I think - I have a new cast iron pan being delivered, so I might make something that uses that! With veggie medley, I might try those kalettes, I didn't use them yesterday because we had green beans instead.

3 hours ago, Contessa said:

Just here to say that a "6 hour slow roasted brisket in pomegranate and pecan marinade, with a pistachio mint gremolata" sounds phenomenal. You're on a cooking hot streak!

It was amazing! I just posted the recipe in my Recipe Round-Up in the recipe section, if you're interested! It was a little bit of work to get it marinading, and then a day of slow cooking but it was SO worth it and the leftovers will give me lunches all week!

Morning gang!

Feck it's cold this morning. I'm really looking forward to the weather warming up, not only for these chilly mornings but for my heating bill, lol. 

Feeling good after getting out on the elliptical again yesterday, another 30 minutes on top of a 45 minute walk. I have NO excuse not to be doing that daily, none at all. So that's the plan. 

I'm really enjoying my Whole30 sleep. It's my favourite NSV. Vertigo is definitely  letting up, though still lingering. Headaches are going away, they're not constant now, so that's nice - it's funny how I tend to think vestibular migraines lack a headache, when that's not true, it's just that the headache isn't crippling. Motor skills are improving, though having freezing cold hands isn't helping this morning! Brain fog is also improving. 

It's weird looking for NSVs at the moment, I wonder how my mood would be if we weren't under extreme lockdown. I have it so much easier than so many people but the boredom and depression of just being trapped, and not knowing when I'll see my friends and family again (and it becoming more and more likely that I will not be able to see my family at Christmas, which is unthinkable and utterly depressing) really does a number on my mood. Weekends are actually harder than weekdays. At least on weekdays, I have work all day, weekends are just a reminder that we can't even get in the car and go for a drive, or even pack a picnic and go for a long walk. We're only allowed out 1 hour a day, and only within 5km from our house. So even having a lovely walking track along the river nearby, we can only go so far, and all the routes are getting boring. Plus, cold and wet - though that makes it easier - I can't imagine what it would/will be like when the weather is lovely and we still can't go out. But numbers are dropping, and hopefully in 3 weeks the heavy restrictions will life and we will be back to being able to at least spend as much time outside for exercise as we want, and will be allowed to go more than 5km from home (I miss a few of my specialty shops where I can get more interesting foods!!).

Anywhoo.

Today's food - more leftover brisket and veg - I think have more broccolini, that was a really good combo.

Dinner - Not sure, maybe lamb chops, maybe not. We're pretty spoiled for choice, so long as I grab something from the freezer by about noon.

OK, dinner is lamb chop curry. I have coconut yogurt to use, and it's cold and that sounds like good comfort food.

Another NSV I picked up today - I "trot" down the stairs now. Usually, due to vertigo, I come down them carefully, holding the banister. A while back, I fell down them when I slipped and I've been cautious ever since. Now I just jog down them without thinking about it.

Wednesday! If this was just a 30 day round, I'd be halfway! But I'm feeling good, no temptations, enjoying my food and even (gasp!!) enjoying my exercise. 

I won't get a walk in today because I have to take the Hubster to the medic, but I'll get 45 minutes on the elliptical instead of 30.

Food today will probs be more of the same - I'm loving this leftover brisket with broccoli. 

Dinner - I'll drop Hubster at the medic, run to the fish shop and come back to get him, so fish of some description - depends what looks good! Might be salmon... who knows? 

I didn't sleep well last night, woke up a few times and had weird dreams, though my Fitbit still gave me a sleep score of 80. 

Archived