Guess who's back? Back again, Schrodey's Back...

SchrodingersCat

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

You know what gets me through? In the 90s/early 00s, I was a little party animal/clubber and I now have a playlist of all the songs I used to go off at the club to :lol: Reliving my youth!!

YES!! Music can be so motivating! I love that you have this to look forward to on the elliptical of all places. You're doing GREAT! Congrats on your fitness gains and for proving to yourself you can off road and then get back on the path when you desire. That's HUGE! And your previous post-W30 clothes fit? *slow.clap.*

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FriYAY.

I've had SUCH an unmotivated week, work-wise. So, so unmotivated. One of my principals has next week off, so the unmotivation is guaranteed to continue.

I think we will have an Asian fusion buffet for special food this weekend. @LadyM inspired me with her Bahn Mi meatballs and other delights! I'll plan a menu :)

Today lunch will be similar to yesterday unless I get otherwise inspired, and dinner will be steak, baked sweet potato with ghee, broccolini, green beans, carrots. All just simple.

I'm food bored, and snacky. I had part of a leftover lamb chop, some olives, a couple of dill pickles and a small handful of olives. 

I used to love Fridays lol, now being locked down I'm so fecking bored. I want to make interesting things and I literally can't even think of anything. 

Boredom makes me want to just go f'it and pour a glass of wine, and that will just lead to a weekend of garbage. Maybe I should do a junk food dinner compliant style - hot wings, meatballs, spicy slaw... I dunno. So bored. Usually I'd look forward to a movie night or something but that's all we've been doing since March. 

So, so bored. 

So dinner was like game night, hot wings, pork belly bites, meatballs, zucchini and sweet potato tots, and spicy slaw. I also had red wine, which I am REGRETTING A LOT RIGHT NOW. I even went to bed early, but my head is killing me, sour stomach, gastric distress, and UGH. Such a bad idea. I need to break up with wine. 

Today's plan is coffee, coffee and more coffee, dog walk, groceries, more coffee, sewing, potentially torturing myself on the elliptical, cooking something and NO WINE.

Lunch is steak on the BBQ, leftover slaw and some leftover grilled fennel from the other night.

So today was a MASSIVE fail. After the wine last night, and today being a lovely day and it being a weekend, I thought f'it, I'll try a different kind of alcohol. Got organic, no added sugar hard apple cider.

Wowee. I have the worst gastro. I feel like I'm being torn apart. I had leftover meatballs and a chicken wing from last night with some slaw for lunch, and then nibbled on some crackling this afternoon (I made bacon and cooked up the skin I trimmed), but no dinner because my innards are the pit of doom. 

So lets go with - not just wine, but alcohol bad, hhm? Ugh.

Oh, I also had some date/cocoa/cashew/orange balls - basically a Lara Bar of a different brand. Delicious, and I'm glad I stopped and put them away, because I could polish them all off. This is where I've failed with paleo before - the paleo sweets are too close to real sweets. 

So compliant food plus cider and a day filled with regret. 

• Moderators

Well, you could look at it as good information resulting from systematically reintroducing different kinds of alcohol. . . . 

Sorry about your regret, but if you glean something from it then all is not lost, right? And I am sooooooo with you on paleo sweets. Total food without brakes for me and a definite no-no in my world. It's almost better for me to eat the real thing and suffer for it later so I don't over do on a more permanent basis, if that makes any sense.

Love your resourcefulness with your faux junk food game night. Brill.

Well, yesterday was a day. 

Brunch was steak and spicy slaw. Went for a huge 2 hour walk, put a chicken in the Weber for dinner, and ended up eating only chicken and too much red wine after getting a call from my Mum that Dad's come off his motorbike and is in hospital with some pretty serious injuries. Due to the lockdowns and border closures, I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to get over to them to be able to help look after him, so I'm looking into that. I'll need to apply for an exemption etc, and might need to quarantine.

So, once again booze was my downfall and today I have a headache, though again the food was all compliant (if lacking, which adds to the headache, I'm sure).

Back to compliant for the week. Definitely no booze on worknights. 

Thanks guys - he's doing ok, doesn't need surgery, though he's going to be hurting for a long time. Not really sure how long he will be in hospital or what after-hospital care will look like, hoping for some more info today.

Yesterday (oh, I am SO predictable) went completely of rails, and I paid for it. I'm calling this "Food Freedom" and working on learning from it.

Today's plan is to eat vegetables, and get some exercise, because yesterday was a write off. I've had some gastric upset since Friday (even before eating anything non-compliant) and it was bad yesterday, I think a combo of the food, the booze and whatever caused it in the first place.

As I'm sure no one would be surprised to read, yesterday did not go to plan. 

I need to get to the bottom of why I can be perfectly happy "on" but then when I'm "off", it's like I have to be 1000% "off". I can't just go "ok, I'm eating non-compliant", it also means that I stop exercising, stop all self care, and deliberately go nuts.

I have a bunch of compliant salami and smallgoods arriving today, and I feel like a fool spending money on them when I'm now so completely off track.

It's my birthday next Tuesday, I think the plan will be to start a-fresh from Wednesday and just be forgiving of myself between now and then.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I need to get to the bottom of why I can be perfectly happy "on" but then when I'm "off", it's like I have to be 1000% "off". I can't just go "ok, I'm eating non-compliant", it also means that I stop exercising, stop all self care, and deliberately go nuts.

Have you done any research into what it means to be an abstainer rather than a moderator? Like you, I have a tendency to be all or nothing in all things. This concept was VERY helpful to me. Here's a place to start: https://whole30.com/how-to-food-freedom-as-an-abstainer-and-some-tips-for-the-moderators/

However things shake out, take good care of you, friend!

On 9/24/2020 at 1:46 AM, LadyM said:

Have you done any research into what it means to be an abstainer rather than a moderator? Like you, I have a tendency to be all or nothing in all things. This concept was VERY helpful to me. Here's a place to start: https://whole30.com/how-to-food-freedom-as-an-abstainer-and-some-tips-for-the-moderators/

However things shake out, take good care of you, friend!

Thank you for that, I am DEFINITELY an abstainer, it seems!! 

I'm still around, but not eating W30 at all at the moment, so I haven't been journaling. I should, but seeing all the crap I ate in print would make me sad. Birthday tomorrow and I'm torn about what to have for dinner - we're still locked down so my options are severely limited - I might just cook something tasty and leave outside food for a time when we can actually get out and enjoy it - hopefully in 3 weeks time. 

Weekend was completely off track - no exercise, a lot of booze, and a lot of takeaway and snacks, but it was also nice - hubster and I went out of our way to have a do nothing weekend, so it was like a little holiday at home. So I'm not going to feel bad about it, but I am going to eat healthy this week, even if not compliant (I have ham and veg soup and chicken and veg soup in the freezer I'm craving) 

@SchrodingersCat”because it feels so empty without me”. 
I enjoyed catching up on your journey

I’m so with you trying to find balance it seems when I’m good I’m very good, and when I’m bad I’m horrid!  
I hope your birthday was memorable.  I also pray your dad heals quickly.  It is beyond hard when our loved ones are hurting and there is nothing we can do because of things beyond our control.
keep fighting the good fight, your health and well-being is definitely worth it! 

Thank you!!

Well, 2 weeks after I finished a round (and 2 weeks of eating like hell, drinking way too much and otherwise just letting it ALL go), I'm back with vertigo and migraine again, so - guess who's back?

I need to get some groceries and do some prep but I need to get back to at least trying to eat decently. This cycle is terrible. I'm also noticing that it's taking shorter time for the migraines to come back when I get off track, so I wonder if my sensitivity is increasing. I still don't see the immunologist for 3 months, so I'm just going to try and stay as compliant as possible until then. 

On 10/13/2020 at 2:00 AM, BabyBear said:

@SchrodingersCati hope all is going well with you.  I also hope your dad is having a fast recovery from his fall.  I’ve been praying for him these past few days.  Blessings and may you find a sense or normalcy in the strange weird and frustrating times.

Thank you!! He's on the mend, but at his age it is slow going. I have to say, now that he's home and just recovering I think I feel more sorry for my mum!!

Me, I've been indulging in my usual self abuse and REALLY paying the price. Terrible gastric distress, and vertigo the worst its been. I'm hauling myself back into vaguely healthy eating, if not strict W30 and I think logging again will help. 

I've signed up to raise funds for a local charity as part of a work team - I have to walk 67km (42 miles) in 7 days. I started today, and knocked out 6km so far and will go for another walk after work. I figure being forced to do that should go hand in hand with healthier eating (and no wine).

So today's food:

Breakfast was coffee with regular milk, and toast and butter. (Not W30, obvs) It was there and my tummy has been super upset and it was what I wanted. We rarely even have bread in the house, to be honest.

Lunch was 2 poached eggs on ginger and beetroot kraut (W30)

Dinner is BBQ lamb loin chops with grilled asparagus and cabbage steaks.

I'll get up early tomorrow and knock out the first 5km for the day - I'm splitting it into 2 walks a day mostly to fit around work and other obligations, but also because the doggo isn't up to a full 10km every day, so he comes on one walk (which is slower because of the sniffing and the wandering) and then the second is faster and more efficient.

@SchrodingersCatim glad to hear your dad is on the mend and home again.  I’m sorry to hear the vertigo is back and other upsets are back.  It’s almost like the body has figured out immediate protest will yield the best results.  It’s never fun when the body mutinies against you.  
that’s a lot of walking for a lot of miles... hats off to you.  Maybe it wouldn’t sound as daunting to me if my current walking state wasn’t the duck waddle.  Lol

Oh Lordy, after 7 months of lockdown and not getting out and walking, 15km/9.5mile in 2 days HURTS. My cardio fitness is fine, I've been working out on the elliptical and can easily do an hour on moderate and be sweaty but not dying, but I've not just been getting out and walking around (see my previous posts about epic restrictions here, for 8 weeks I was only allowed out 1 hour a day and only within 5km/3 miles of home), so actually walking on uneven ground, up and down hills, different surfaces etc - my whole lower half id just killing me. I got up early and knocked out 4km and I'm hobbling now. I still need to do another 6km today to keep up the average! I'm hoping this is like being on holiday - the first couple of days you're just dying from all the walking, then you acclimatize. 

Treated myself to an almond milk latte - the almond milk wasn't compliant due to having added sugar but I knew that and it was fine and I'm really trying to work on Food Freedom now. 

I have a huge hankering for a chicken caesar salad - Might need to pop out for some Coz lettuce. On the fence about treating myself to some Cardini's dressing. OR I could just make my own dressing, use the icebreg lettuce in the fridge and not actually have to leave the house. Hmm.

Dinner, not sure yet - we are running down the deep freeze for a big incoming shipment in late November, so I'll have a hunt around in there and see what I've forgotten we have.

Archived