Guess who's back? Back again, Schrodey's Back...

SchrodingersCat

13 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I KNOW other people have it much harder, I KNOW that as far as lockdowns go, I am totally privileged, I have a gilded cage, I have plentiful food, full time work, a good work set up, a home gym, no kids to worry about, a husband I genuinely like, etc etc but it's really, really getting to me. I can only imagine what it is like for people without these things. But I'm still getting very depressed, and irritable, and frustrated, and lonely. And most of my good friends are in the same boat.

I know this feeling too.  @MadyVanilla had a good suggestion for a way to deal with the depression etc.  Try to talk to someone outside of your house at least once a day.  

Have an open mind and look for meaningful conversation with everyone you meet.  Neighbours were the best answer for me.  I walk often with my dog, but also bring along dog treats for other people's dogs, which helped to meet a few new people in my neighbourhood and then led to conversation.  You will often be standing on opposite sides of the street to talk, keeping social distancing guidelines but it's real in-person contact with other people.  I believe that by making a conscious effort daily to get perspective from others brought me back from the brink.  Ok that's being dramatic, but it did help me. A lot.

With the nice weather coming it will be easier to enjoy time outside, even if it's only 2 hours a day.  Hang in there.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2020 at 7:59 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

I tend to not count potatoes as my veg and this little voice is screaming that this was a 'bad' meal. It's part of my all or nothing mindset - even being compliant isn't enough some days.

Me, too.  

Quarantine...I remember reading something that said the way we are impacted by it is similar to how we live on our incomes.  There are lots of people who make less money (have less resources during pandemic), but most people still live at the top of their means (are near their "wits-end" during the pandemic).  Our own reality is so vastly different than what it has every been that to expect ourselves to grin and bear it and accept our lot as just the way things are without any grieving  would be the same as expecting ourselves to carry on as normal in the face of financial devastation.  IDK, that still smacks of privilege.  But it makes sense to give ourselves grace, because we've all experienced significant changes that we aren't practiced in dealing with.  This seems so totally unhelpful now that I've written it out.  Quarantine/pandemic-era living is just plain hard.    

Thank you both @ShadowInTheKitchen and @MadyVanilla, it helps to know that I'm not just screaming into the void!!

Finally Friday, for a whole lot of nothing, this week sure has been a doozy. 

I'm very physically weary today, floppy muscles. I only did my typical 45 mins on the elliptical yesterday but it really did seem like hard work. Hopefully I'll pep up a bit. 

Fish Friday today, I'm thinking maybe some battered whiting tails, or maybe just my standard snapper. Hubster wants the cauliflower tabbouleh (GASP!!!!) so whatever we have will have that on the side. 

Lunch I have a bunch of leftover roasted veggies from last night, so I think I'll have that with a couple of poached eggs and either a hollandaise or kimchi dressing. 

On 8/11/2020 at 5:16 PM, SchrodingersCat said:

I wonder if W30 dials up my all or nothing mindset.

Reading this i just had a crazy thought... I don't know if you're familiar with weight watchers, but they use a point system. Zero point foods are unlimited, and other foods get points based on their nutritional values (or lack thereof). What if, for your food freedom reintro, you did something similar? Compliant foods are zero points and then assign non compliant foods a point value, then allow yourself so many points per day or week. I know this technically goes against the idea of food freedom, but I wonder if it might help the all or nothing mindset (trust me, I relate to it!!). There is something freeing about knowing you can fit the "bad" foods in sometimes and not completely go off the rails. Just an idea. :wub:

18 hours ago, decker_bear said:

Reading this i just had a crazy thought... I don't know if you're familiar with weight watchers, but they use a point system. Zero point foods are unlimited, and other foods get points based on their nutritional values (or lack thereof). What if, for your food freedom reintro, you did something similar? Compliant foods are zero points and then assign non compliant foods a point value, then allow yourself so many points per day or week. I know this technically goes against the idea of food freedom, but I wonder if it might help the all or nothing mindset (trust me, I relate to it!!). There is something freeing about knowing you can fit the "bad" foods in sometimes and not completely go off the rails. Just an idea. :wub:

That's actually a really good idea - I'd need to work out a system that I didn't have to weigh or measure the non-compliant foods, because weighing and measuring leads me down a no-fun path, but I bet I could - thanks for the tip! 

Lunch was leftover brisket and cauli tabboueh.

Dinner is lamb backstraps, whole roasted baby cauliflower in a mustard and caper sauce, roasted brocc and carrots :)

12 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

That's actually a really good idea - I'd need to work out a system that I didn't have to weigh or measure the non-compliant foods, because weighing and measuring leads me down a no-fun path, but I bet I could - thanks for the tip! 

Truth! I hate weighing and measuring - it's the bane of my existence :blink: Okay, that may be a little dramatic, but still.. Bottom line is yeah, it's YOUR food freedom, so however you decided to do it so it will help you is the right way. :wub:

Lunch is tuna, pickle, egg and mayo salad in cucumber boats.

Sunday and fancy food day. My menu today is going to freak some people out, but I like to pick a cuisine or country and go with it, and I realised I have not done my own.

So:

Wattleseed, pepperberry and macadamia nut kangaroo meatballs with bush tomato sauce

Lemon myrtle emu fillet

Lime & Ginger crocodile skewers

Warm roasted beetroot and baby spinach 

Shredded spicy green mango and coconut salad

13 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Wattleseed, pepperberry and macadamia nut kangaroo meatballs with bush tomato sauce

Lemon myrtle emu fillet

Lime & Ginger crocodile skewers

Warm roasted beetroot and baby spinach 

Shredded spicy green mango and coconut salad

Oh my gosh, so I play this game called Ramsay Dash (a Gordon Ramsay version of Diner Dash). One of the restaurants is called Black Stump BBQ and it uses crocodile, wattleseed, kangaroo, bush tomatoes, emu and lemon myrtle. I wasn't sure this was real - it's so cool to hear you cooking with all of this! :wub:

3 hours ago, decker_bear said:

Oh my gosh, so I play this game called Ramsay Dash (a Gordon Ramsay version of Diner Dash). One of the restaurants is called Black Stump BBQ and it uses crocodile, wattleseed, kangaroo, bush tomatoes, emu and lemon myrtle. I wasn't sure this was real - it's so cool to hear you cooking with all of this! :wub:

Oh that's cool!! I don't use them often, but they're definitely available! It was a lot of fun and really delicious :) I make my own smallgoods, salamis and the like, and I want to make some native Australian smallgoods using these ingredients. I need to get back into it, it's not like we don't have time on out hands.

So big announcements yesterday re lockdown - in short - I won't be back in the office this year, and we're locked down tight for another 3 weeks with the same rules save I'm now allowed to be outside to exercise for 2 hours a day. Then end of Sept to end of October, we can meet other people for outside gatherings BUT only if we're all less than 5km from our home. So that's pretty damn restrictive. Then more lessening up at the end of Oct. But until late Oct, in all practicality, all shops but supermarkets and pharmacies are closed, were only allowed 1 person per household per day out to shop, and a whole 2 hours outside for exercise. SIGH.

My birthday is at the end of Sept and I thought maybe we could have a responsibly socially distanced meet up at a park with my BFF, but our 5km radius don't overlap, so I guess not. REALLY hoping they decide that is stupid and change it.

Anyway. Monday.

Food - lunch is same as yesterday because for once I didn't eat 2 days worth of tuna salad in one go! So tuna salad in cucumber boats.

Dinner: NFI. I'll go and gaze hopelessly into the freezer around lunch time and hope that inspiration strikes.

Lunch was like going to a buffet restaurant LOL

I had a little bit of leftover stirfry which wasn't enough for a meal, some roasted peppers, some spinach and beet salad with dukkah and some slow cooked bristket with pistachio gremolata. 

Very excited - Just ordered myself a new Weber Q grill - we haven't had a BBQ for ages and with the weather getting better and us being all about the grilled meats (and veg!!) I figured why the heck not?! It gets delivered tomorrow!

Man, bummer about your lockdown. That really sucks! We consistently rock a 10% positive rate because people think being asked to wear a mask in public is somehow infringing on their rights. Insert eye roll here. 

I totally get ya about having more time. This W30 is SO MUCH EASIER than those in the past. I work at home, leave only for essentials (groceries and yarn) so it's totally no big deal to cook a compliant breakfast and lunch and I don't have to plan so far ahead to take it all with me. 

I am super intrigued by your beetroot and ginger kraut - how did you make it? I've made cabbage kraut before and it's SUPER good, I'd love to try beet and ginger. 

8 hours ago, decker_bear said:

Man, bummer about your lockdown. That really sucks! We consistently rock a 10% positive rate because people think being asked to wear a mask in public is somehow infringing on their rights. Insert eye roll here. 

I totally get ya about having more time. This W30 is SO MUCH EASIER than those in the past. I work at home, leave only for essentials (groceries and yarn) so it's totally no big deal to cook a compliant breakfast and lunch and I don't have to plan so far ahead to take it all with me. 

I am super intrigued by your beetroot and ginger kraut - how did you make it? I've made cabbage kraut before and it's SUPER good, I'd love to try beet and ginger. 

I actually bought this kraut - ingredients are just  organic cabbage, organic beetroot, organic ginger & natural sea salt, so I'd be keen to make it myself because it was expensive. I do make my own kraut but I also buy it because I eat way more than I can make lol.

I get my Weber today!! Going to pop out and get some really decadent steaks to grill. I'm going to harvest one of my home grown cabbages and have it with slaw and grilled zucchini. I'm so excited about being able to grill and not smoke out the house LOL.

Lunch is still me working through the leftovers - medley of Aussie meats and salad will do it.

16 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I actually bought this kraut - ingredients are just  organic cabbage, organic beetroot, organic ginger & natural sea salt, so I'd be keen to make it myself because it was expensive. I do make my own kraut but I also buy it because I eat way more than I can make lol.

I get my Weber today!! Going to pop out and get some really decadent steaks to grill. I'm going to harvest one of my home grown cabbages and have it with slaw and grilled zucchini. I'm so excited about being able to grill and not smoke out the house LOL.

So exciting!! I love new cooking toys, even better that it's a Weber and you can cook outside now! Woo hoo!! 

I seem to remember Steph from ... a website that is currently escaping my brain and I feel like she had a method for beet kraut. Her site is how I learned to make regular kraut. If I can find it I'll let you know! 

WAH, the weather has gone to hell, so no grilling tonight unless there's a big change. 

I'll dig something else out. If I had my new fast slow cooker I'd do lamb shanks, but I'm waiting for that to get delivered too (my old one exploded - literally exploded all over my kitchen and I've been waiting for my replacement)

1 minute ago, SchrodingersCat said:

OK, lamb shanks are happening, I can get them defrosted in the sink and into the oven by 3pm, low and slow. I'm roasting pumpkin now, so I'll have them in a tomato and rosemary sauce with roasted mashed pumpkin, roasted carrots and parnsip and broccoli (cos there has to be something green).

Oh my gosh, I swear we are twins separated at birth! I added peas to my cauliflower rice tonight because "there has to be something green." :lol:

Lunch was leftover tuna salad with leftover beet and spinach salad, roasted pepper and WAY TOO MUCH BALSAMIC because the dribble pourer thing came off with the lid and I didn't notice.

But it was not enough fat and protein, because I was starving by 4, so I'm having the last of the brisket. Finally getting rid of leftovers!

Wednesday. Again. Sigh, lol.

I was in a super bad mood last night, work wise and just generally and I wasn't going to work out and then decided I would because it was that or sit here and fume, and I ended up having the best workout I've had so far according to my Fitbit. Apparently rage is a motivator!

I wish I was sleeping better, I'm sleeping OK but not as deeply as I'd like and I wake up more than I want. I don't struggle to go back to sleep though, and I don't have anxiety, so that's very good.

So I haven't had vertigo in a couple of weeks, which is amazing. I'm not craving non-W30 foods. No GERD/reflux/heartburn, IBS symptoms have settled, I don't need lipbalm, all the usual NSVs are there! I wish my skin had cleared up a bit, my face is still very red, but not everything can be food related, I guess. Not feeling like I've lost a lot of weight - for context last round I started at the same weight I did this round and by week 4 I was fitting jeans I'd not fit for 6 months, but this round I'm still not really fitting those jeans. But I'm not really doing this for weight loss (it would be nice, and I'm working out a LOT more than last round, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed).  Slowly but surely, I guess. This is the price I pay for being the worst yoyo-dieter in history.

Cool but sunny today so I get to build my BBQ and grill tonight! WOOT! I'm going to go get some rib eye steaks and grill them and have with grilled zucchini and peppers and a spicy slaw.

Lunch will be the everlasting leftovers. 

13 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So I haven't had vertigo in a couple of weeks, which is amazing. I'm not craving non-W30 foods. No GERD/reflux/heartburn, IBS symptoms have settled, I don't need lipbalm, all the usual NSVs are there! I wish my skin had cleared up a bit, my face is still very red, but not everything can be food related, I guess. Not feeling like I've lost a lot of weight - for context last round I started at the same weight I did this round and by week 4 I was fitting jeans I'd not fit for 6 months, but this round I'm still not really fitting those jeans. But I'm not really doing this for weight loss (it would be nice, and I'm working out a LOT more than last round, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed).  Slowly but surely, I guess. This is the price I pay for being the worst yoyo-dieter in history.

Those are some great NSVs! Hang in there! And, of course, you know this isn't a weight loss program, but I understand your frustration. You're already seeing some amazing results and I'm so happy for you!! :wub:

Lunch was leftover lamb shanks with the roasted veggies. 

Dinner is amazing rib eyes on the new BBQ with slaw, yay!

I'm not feeling great, both mentally or physically and I spent lunch putting the BBQ together, so I haven't walked today and won't get an elliptical workout either. I'll call it a rest day. 

Although I'm trying deliberately not to count days, I realised that tomorrow is day 30. I'm going to keep going, but it's nice to know I'll have knocked out another round. I might try a solo dairy reinto next week sometime. I've failed at reintro every time so far, but I've also only really ever done a proper legume reintro.

My problem with the non-compliant food is that day to day - I don't want legumes, pasta, bread, oats etc. Basically the non-compliant stuff I'd eat every day if I could is the BAD stuff, candy, alcohol, cookies, cakes and muffins etc etc. The 'healthy' non-compliant stuff, I'm fine without. I do like dairy though, so I'll see how that treats me. 

5 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

My problem with the non-compliant food is that day to day - I don't want legumes, pasta, bread, oats etc. Basically the non-compliant stuff I'd eat every day if I could is the BAD stuff, candy, alcohol, cookies, cakes and muffins etc etc. The 'healthy' non-compliant stuff, I'm fine without. I do like dairy though, so I'll see how that treats me. 

We are *actual* twins.:)

Happy Blursday. 

I'm so in love with my Weber, that rib-eye last night was *chef kiss*. We're going to get out money's worth out of this!

I didn't get any exercise yesterday but I'm glad for the 'rest day'. Walks and elliptical are on the cards today. 

Lunch will be the ever present leftovers I think... We still have a bunch of croc, emu and roo meatballs. I might have the meatballs in the bush tomato sauce with some grilled zucchini. 

Dinner is lamb loin chops on the Weber, with grilled sweet potato and sauteed broccoli and carrots.

Archived