Chronic health issues - Will Whole30 help? Or AIP?

Hello everyone!

I will try to keep this as short as possible. :)

I am a woman in my early forties that have health issues:

Coeliac Disease

High Blood Pressure

Chronic Migraines

Gastritis - with severe stomach pain

Chronic pain /limbs/joints - with numbness

Sinusitis

Severe fatigue

Candida /gut- disbiosis / leaky gut /IBS

I have been eating gluten-free for many years, but my health is really poor  -even though I eat quite closely to 'Primal'; paleo with dairy, white rice and some 'pseudo' grains like buckwheat occasionally.

My body seems to be reacting badly to many things and I'm confused. I have been eating a very natural diet and been wanting to include more natural things, due to not wanting to be too restrictive. For example: I tried chickpeas (soaked and pressure cooked) and they made me horribly sick - my joints swelled up and I was in so much pain. I somehow thought that it would be ok, seeing how many in the paleo community now do the 'bean protocol'.

So many things make me sick though - supplements (enzymes and probiotics makes my stomach hurt like crazy), corn makes me flare up, any type of tea makes my migraines worse.... and maybe I have an array of other things that I eat that is keeping me sick. That's why I'm wondering if being more restrictive and doing a whole30 would help... or should I be even stricter and do AIP?

I come across many people now within the paleo community that says that food has little to do with healing and that one should focus elsewhere... like Denise Minger for example... but then I don't know how I would go about it.

I would be very very thankful for help! I just want to get better.

All the best

Lee

• Moderators

Whole30 could be a good place to start. It might provide relief from your symptoms, it will help you focus on eating lots of vegetables. And if you do 30 days of whole30, and then decide that AIP is something you want to try, you'll already have eliminated some things that you currently eat, so it won't be cutting out everything all at once.

As far as other people saying things, if you look long enough, you can find people saying all kinds of things.

There are people who have found whole30 helpful. If doing whole30 sounds like it might be helpful to you and you're willing to try it, try it. No one can guarantee what kind of results you'll get, everyone is different and what works for one person can be wrong for another person, but the only way to find out if it works for you is to give it a try.

Archived