Starting in September

Lori671

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone doing?  I started on Monday and I failed miserably :( 

On Monday morning I had a great breakfast potato hash with onions, bell peppers, ground turkey, spinach, and a fried egg (this is my breakfast for this week)  for lunch I had planned to cook fish with a stir fry, but I ended up eating rice, ground turkey and baked fries (same as my kids) 

Tuesday was kind of a repeat from Monday, breakfast as planned.  Lunch was not good I made spaghetti with tuna (don't ask me why but I really enjoy it) and no dinner, was too full from lunch.

Today was better but still not good.  At dinner, I used the wrong salad dressing, halfway thru eating, I realized it.  I am the only one doing W30 at home, so the house still full of non-compliant foods.

What I think my problem is:

- I failed to plan.  I thought because I am home I can cook every day.  However, the problem is the boys are also home so I am cooking their lunches and then not wanting to cook something different for me.

- Stressed Out  I am dealing with a lot right now and I am not sleeping well and I am too stressed out.  I started physical therapy 3 times per week and I think is making my pain/inflammation worse and is making me miserable. So I don't want or can't do much without pain.

-Fear?  Maybe I just scared and frustrated to make another change and don't see a difference.  In the last 4 months, I was Whole Food Plant-Based and at the beginning, I was doing great.  The transition was super easy for me and I saw immediate changes on my pain, energy, sleep, and inflammation.  In the second month, my pain came back and I started to have a lot of hormonal changes and a lot of inflammation.  I did, however, continued and was 100% to plan.  My doctor told me that I should stop legumes, and grains, so I decided to start eating meat again. 

I am not quitting, I am still trying until I am fully compliant Whole 30.  If I was able to do a whole food plant-based for 4 months and not cheat, I can and I will do Whole 30!

My Plan to make this work is to PLAN ahead as I was supposed to it in the first place.  I did buy everything for the week on Sunday, I just need to prep and cook it so I have something ready to eat.

I hope you guys are doing better than me

On 9/3/2020 at 5:56 PM, izzy said:

How is everyone doing?  I started on Monday and I failed miserably :( 

Welcome! 

I'm a certified health coach (not a W30 Certified Coach but I'm working to get there!) and I can tell you the biggest tweaks you can make for success is psychological. Even the act of preparing (planning, shopping, etc) is psychological in nature. The biggest thing I see here is this sentence: I failed miserably. Seriously, lose the negative self-talk. There are so many ways you could rephrase this. Instead of making statements that are judgemental in nature, try statements that only contain facts and observations. For example, you may say something like, "I started on Monday and chose to eat some off-plan foods. I'm starting over with Day 1." That is simply a statement of fact. It does not place any judgement on you, nor does it classify your choices as a "failure." Negative self-talk can lead to those nasty self-fulfilling prophecies. :huh: If you tell yourself you're a failure, then you're a failure. But YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! You chose to eat foods that were not compliant, and now you're starting over because you care about your health and you're committed to seeing this through. :wub:

Hang in there! I'm excited to follow your journey! 

Well hello! Glad to be here with you all. Izzy, you can do this. One trick for me - don't cook something else for yourself, make a substitution. If they are having tuna, do the same. But wrap it in a lettuce leaf or use as a dip for veggies. If they are doing turkey, rice, and veggies, leave off the rice and add an avocado. Convince yourself that it's easy to feed yourself well. You totally got this!

Today is my first day! I shop for myself (I don't have kiddos). But my mom & boyfriend are used to me cooking & eating differently from them. I have been gradually getting approved sauces & spices so its not sooooo overwhelming. I am thinking one day at a time. I'm not a big food prepper but I figure if I at least have the protein precooked & have frozen veggies, fruits, olive & avocado oil for cooking I'm setting myself up for success. 

Hi Everyone,

Do you mind if I join the group?  It would be nice to see how everyone is doing?  I am 61 & in the last year, I have gained alot of weight.  I have a serious autoimmune disease that has attacked my lungs.  I have permanent scarring so energy is a tough one.  I don't like to go out anymore because nothing fits and I feel embarrassed to be seen like this.  I breezed through yesterday ( I am following the meal plan) in Whole 30.  I made tomato sauce, meat and spaghetti squash.  It turned out really well.  My husband loved it & I have enough left over for a couple of meals.  I can see that planning is the key to making Whole30 work.  

Day 2 - didn't sleep well, headachy all day.  I had leftover Egg Frittata and lunch was a salad.  I made the dump ranch dressing - put in cilantro instead of parsley.  LOL  I guess you can tell I don't use fresh herbs much.  It was too heavy a dressing - I will have to try something else.  Tonight I am doing chicken breasts.  I have an instant pot I am learning to use.  I really like it as foods are ready much faster so I don't have to spend so much time standing.  If I do all the cutting on one day, will the produce keep in the fridge for a week? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Carrie 2558 said:

Hi Everyone,

Do you mind if I join the group?  It would be nice to see how everyone is doing?  I am 61 & in the last year, I have gained alot of weight.  I have a serious autoimmune disease that has attacked my lungs.  I have permanent scarring so energy is a tough one.  I don't like to go out anymore because nothing fits and I feel embarrassed to be seen like this.  I breezed through yesterday ( I am following the meal plan) in Whole 30.  I made tomato sauce, meat and spaghetti squash.  It turned out really well.  My husband loved it & I have enough left over for a couple of meals.  I can see that planning is the key to making Whole30 work.  

Day 2 - didn't sleep well, headachy all day.  I had leftover Egg Frittata and lunch was a salad.  I made the dump ranch dressing - put in cilantro instead of parsley.  LOL  I guess you can tell I don't use fresh herbs much.  It was too heavy a dressing - I will have to try something else.  Tonight I am doing chicken breasts.  I have an instant pot I am learning to use.  I really like it as foods are ready much faster so I don't have to spend so much time standing.  If I do all the cutting on one day, will the produce keep in the fridge for a week? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Carrie, all are welcome, glad to have you! Planning is absolutely the key for success! As for cutting veggies - sturdier veggies such as squash, peppers etc will keep for a week in a container in the fridge. I would cut the more tender ones closer to when you want to use them. 

Day 2 is done.  I have another gold star on my calendar.  I was too tired to cook last night so I had leftovers.  I did my chicken in the Instant Pot but overcooked.  Very, Very Dry!!!  I am going to use it in a twice baked potato.  

Day 3 is here.  Still headachy & not much energy but I have NO cravings for anything.  When I start to get hungry my stomach feels hollow.  I am sure that will change once I get used to Whole #30.

I can't do spicy foods.  Do you know of any substitutions for curry, hot sauce, etc.  If I just exclude them, I'm worried my food will be too bland. 

Archived