Can of Pumpkin Puree?

Kaleena

I agree it's not in the spirit of the Whole30, but I think part of the issue is whether you think of it as "dessert" or "ice cream" versus a source of food when you're hungry. I'm not saying you can eat "paleo pancakes," but coconut milk + pumpkin can be filling on-the-go.

Inventive Whole30'ers, what can I do with a can of pumpkin puree? I have a can lying around. Ideas?

TIA!

I made the salmon cake recipe that calls for sweet potatoes. Instead I used the Libby's pumpkin puree. I subbed in unsweetened applesauce + sm. tsp of baking powder for the egg since I have an egg allergy. Really tasty and good on the go in the morning for breakfast.

It makes really good breakfast mixed with eggs, pumpkin pie spices and baked. Or a wonderful Soup. I'm going to try this pumpkin hummis today:

http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/10/moroccan-spiced-pumpkin-hummus.html

And I also make pumpkin smoothies, My day starts early two days a week, I leave the house at 6-do a hard workout at 6:30 and I need a little something in my stomach for workout fuel. (I use raw eggs and various things to make a smoothie, drink half before workout and half after)

It makes really good breakfast mixed with eggs, pumpkin pie spices and baked. Or a wonderful Soup. I'm going to try this pumpkin hummis today:

http://blog.stuffima...kin-hummus.html

And I also make pumpkin smoothies, My day starts early two days a week, I leave the house at 6-do a hard workout at 6:30 and I need a little something in my stomach for workout fuel. (I use raw eggs and various things to make a smoothie, drink half before workout and half after)

Ahhh, I've been wanting to try an egg bake with..something. Pumpkin and egg sounds awesome! thanks!

• 2 years later...

I love autumn for the pumpkin spice flavors. Is there a coffee drink with pumpkin puree that I could make? 

That sounds a lot like SWYPO to me, although there'd be nothing wrong with adding some ground cloves & spices to your coffee while it's brewing....

• Moderators

I love autumn for the pumpkin spice flavors. Is there a coffee drink with pumpkin puree that I could make?

The drinks that people like in autumn are called 'pumpkin' but actually have no pumpkin in them. To make a spiced coffee, I do what JMCBN says and put compliant pumpkin pie spice (usually bought at Trader Joe's around October) in the grounds when I"m brewing. Serve with a dash of coconut milk. Yum!

I think you would be disappointed with the pumpkin puree because pumpkin doesn't actually have the flavors most people are looking for... pumpkin pie filling does but that's waaaay off limits. Try the spices, it's really good!

The drinks that people like in autumn are called 'pumpkin' but actually have no pumpkin in them. To make a spiced coffee, I do what JMCBN says and put compliant pumpkin pie spice (usually bought at Trader Joe's around October) in the grounds when I"m brewing. Serve with a dash of coconut milk. Yum!

I think you would be disappointed with the pumpkin puree because pumpkin doesn't actually have the flavors most people are looking for... pumpkin pie filling does but that's waaaay off limits. Try the spices, it's really good!

That's a great idea to add the spices in with the grounds! I usually use freeze dried coffee (don't know why, but I like it better), so I will maybe blend it up with the spices and almond milk or something. Great idea!

That sounds a lot like SWYPO to me, although there'd be nothing wrong with adding some ground cloves & spices to your coffee while it's brewing....

Good ideas! I just need to mess around with the spices, amounts, and ratios I think. What's SWYPO?

Archived