Craving Creamy Texture

CathyG

So, I'm a newbie (Day 7) and have seen lots of posts about staying away from  Whole30 compliant mock "desserts", or any other food that would be considered SWYPO. But what if you are simply crazing a particular texture? Yesterday, I spent way too much of the day wanting dairy. Normally I don't have an issue overindulging in dairy, and I think I really wanted it b/c I wanted something creamy in texture. Would it have been the worst thing in the world to have 1/2 cup of cashew milk, for instance? I didn't do that, b/c I didn't have any cashew milk, but I'm thinking if this happened once, it will happen again. Any guidance appreciated. 

• Moderators

If it's really a texture thing, it might be useful to include a variety of textures in your meals, not necessarily in every single meal, but over time to have some different things that are creamy or crunchy or whatever. So for creamy, try soups or mashed avocado or mayo or mayo-based dressings or mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes/root vegetables.  Crunchy could be adding a handful of nuts to a meal, or some celery or jicama or even apple.

Drinking a half cup of cashew milk wouldn't necessarily be bad, but I'm not sure it's going to be quite the same as dairy milk, so it might not really help with that craving. 

I love me some creamy soups! I make double batches of these two soups and keep individual-serving-size jars frozen in the freezer. I love eating them for breakfast because it's a great way for me to eat veggies early in the morning but they would hopefully satisfy your creamy-texture-cravings quite well! 

Sweet Potato Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2013/01/02/paleo-sweet-potato-soup/

Golden Cauliflower Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/

I love blended soups for their creamy texture.  And of course there's homemade mayo and ranch dressing (look up dump ranch dressing) for compliments to meals.  I've also made sauces that had coconut milk in them, plus homemade unsweetened coconut milk yogurt.  

Archived