Beef Liver Prep Question

Michaela Elmore Cogswell

We had beef liver last night and I noticed a number of recipes suggest you soak the liver in milk to remove some of the harsh liver flavor. Is this a no go on the whole 30? The milk would be down the drain once I was done soaking and it wouldn't be a temptation to either of us. My husband was complaining that the liver taste was much stronger than he's had before.

Thanks!

I've heard that lamb's liver is milder. I bought some from a local farmer.

@Christiei, I also grind it up and put it in meatballs or meatloaf. I can definitely taste it but that's been with cow's liver. And it's not a bad taste! Gives it a "pate" flavor. Will be making something this week with ground meat and lamb's liver and will be interested to see if I taste it.

The livers I'm using are grassfed as well. I made chili using 2 lbs ground beef + about 1/3 lb ground lamb's liver and I couldn't taste the liver at all. I have a good supply of lamb's liver in my freezer so I won't be trying the beef liver again until I'm out of this.

I don't remember the ratio I used for the meatballs/meatloaf where there was a distinct liver flavor but I think it was less liver proportionately than this. Now, the chili I made is more highly spiced than my meatballs were. That may account for some of it.

Spoke to the farmer today and asked for more organs. She said she can offer pork liver and will ask the processor about kidneys from all the animals.

Our beef liver is grassfed as well. I'd imagine smaller animals don't have quite the strong liver taste that beef liver does. We tried the soak in milk trick and it worked nicely. The overwhelming liver taste was gone but it still had a decent liver flavor.

I wish we could get our hands on other organ meats but I haven't found a suitible source. Everything is factory farmed that I've seen.

• 1 year later...

Archived