Laura's Whole30 8/28/20

laurasuzanne

On 9/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

Ooooh, this sounds good, could you post the link?

This is the seasoning with the slight change I think makes it better.

Copycat Popeye's Blackened Chicken Seasoning

2tsp Fine Sea Salt

1tsp Smoked Paprika

1tsp Paprika

1tsp Cayenne Pepper

2tsp Chili Powder

2tsp Garlic Powder

2tsp Black Pepper

Super simple. I just mixed it together and put it in a jar. I think the recipe talked like the entire slug for 3 lbs chicken tenders. Toss them in it and then pan fry them in some oil. I didn't go that heavy. I generously sprinkled it on each side of the tenders, pan fried them for 1 minute on each side, then baked at 350 for 25 minutes. They were/are (still have leftovers) delicious. Next time I do this (which will be as soon as I'm out because I'm hooked) I'm going to use a meat tenderizer/hammer to smash them thin before seasoning and pan frying. For that I will likely cook them for less time in the oven and it would likely take more rounds in the oven because they'll take up more surface area on the sheetpan. As I perfect this recipe I intend to make up the seasoning in jars to give away at Christmas. That has been my new fave Christmas present, to share seasonings I have grown to love.

Day 22. It's Friday! My Day 30 will be next Saturday. I'm glad it's ending on a Saturday like that. Less temptation. I have Sunday to evaluate a reintroduction plan. I'm not super social media saavy, so I had thought the official September W30 starting on the 14th would make me want to continue with that group. It hasn't. As far as alleviated symptoms or things that would make me want to continue further than 30 days... sleep is the main one. I don't really think that's my diet's fault at this point. It's a habit issue. 

So, this upcoming week would be my final full-on meal prep! I said yesterday that I only intend to re-introduce dairy in the first week, so I'm not sure how different next weekend's meal prep will be. I'll probably add cheese to my breakfast quiches. Not much else. I don't drink milk regularly, but I don't know if I should just to test it. Should I use butter as a fat source for the week just to make sure I'm adequately testing dairy? I could put heavy cream in my coffee (which I love), but when I do that I also add some type of sweetner. If I recall properly I think sweetners after I haven't had them for a while give me headaches. I could try my coffee with just cream and see if that's as lovely, but I doubt it will be and I'd rather not waste the calories. I do need to keep in mind as I add dairy/cheese I need to remove fat. My go-to breakfast quiches typically have cheese and no added fats. Since the W30, I've been adding some avocado oil to the mixture before baking and I've ate 3 instead of my normal 2. It's so funny to me when I'm following W30 threads and how sick of eggs people get. I eat way more eggs than the average person. I have eggs for breakfast probably >340 days/year. I don't even think I'm particularly exciting with how I make my eggs, either. I started doing the mini-quiches for the past 9-10 months, maybe longer. Before that I had a hash I would do using riced sweet potato and cauliflower with an egg on top that I was doing for about a year before that.

I'm probably a good fit for W30 because I've always been a meal prepper. I hate feeling rushed in the evening making dinner and I have zero issue with leftovers. I think it's economical and practical. Once I find a recipe I like it takes a while for me to get bored with it. I love seasonings, not super big into sauces, and I think that keeps my meals exciting to me while not feeling the need for highly processed sauces. 

As far as habits go, my nutritional journey has been a long one. I used to weigh almost 300lbs and in 2013 I found the Atkins program and community. I started low carb and fixed by very very bad habits (like, McDonalds 5 times/week bad habits). It wasn't until after I had a significantly better food focus and health mindset that I found Whole30. That doesn't mean my first W30 wasn't hard, but by that time I didn't eat a ton of highly processed foods, grains or legumes with much regularity. Anyone who goes from the standard American diet to a W30 is a freakin' hero, I must say. It's hard to be pretty healthy to a W30 and you all should pat yourselves on the back! 

Happy weekend to everyone!

Laura

• Moderators

Love knowing more about your health journey. Very impressive! GO YOU!!

I'm with you in the food prep and rarely-get-bored-with-leftovers camp. It's a good way to be.

As for your dairy reintro, I'd say bring in the dairy you actually want to eat rather than milk if you're not into it. Though some people have no problem with butter or fermented dairy but do with milk. Personally, I have a casein allergy determined by bloodwork, though dairy generally doesn't actually give me any discernible problems when I reintro. So, I basically avoid it except on the rare occasion that something is really worth it. 

Day 25

Wow, has this been fast. My body acne is the most obvious transformation. It has improved dramatically. There's 5 more days left. I do think I will begin reintroduction Sunday vs continuing on. To me, reintroduction is the hardest part and staying on W30 is more of a crutch vs a true effort to improve health. I think I am overall fairly healthy, but these W30's really help me work on habits. I might eventually stray off plan, but they are so good for me. Every single one I just can tell I'm happier through it because I'm happy I'm taking care of myself, being responsible about my health, and feel lighter. 

My non-scale victory of the weekend was that my boyfriend went to the gym with me. He has said he wants to get more active and it worked out for him to come with me to an organized class. I wholeheartedly know how hard that first step was and I am so proud of him for taking a step through the door. 

I think I have the beginning of my reintro set. I will add back dairy to start. Cheese and ranch dressing (homemade ranch dressing with buttermilk). I might cook with butter just to make sure I'm giving it a fair try on dairy. One week with only dairy added and then I can try something else. 

Happy Monday, folks!

Laura

Day 26!

Good suggestions on the dairy, LadyM. My fear is starting to shift to excitement about reintro. I really want to do it right this time. Although I've abandoned by day-by-day diary I do intend to diary my reintro (or post here and then print it). 

I have two contradictory items. My bf had some of those make at home Red Lobster biscuit mixes. I told him he either needed to pitch them or make them while I was still in Whole30 and I knew they were a hard no for me. So, he made them. I smelled them. I asked them how they were (delicious, duh), and I shut the lid. I had zero actual temptation to eat them, just longing. Which is what is hard and great about W30 vs life. Once you commit. Once you decide this is my next 30 days, there isn't much decision making. There is no compromise. There is no "one bite." It's life that's hard. Portion control, will power, saying no to a kind offer from a friend of loved one. That sucks. Deciding what's worth it. Deciding that when a food doesn't sit with you well it is not worth it. Deciding that certain foods are trigger foods and when you give in it is a slipperly slope to bad habits all over again (alcohol, I'm talking to you). 

I know life isn't perfect and I can't sustain perfection. I do know that I get better after each W30 and I'm on my way to a healthier relationship with food. 

Only 4 more days!

Laura

On 9/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, laurasuzanne said:

Do you all get the fear near the end of a W30? 

Yes! It's hard to go from all the structure to NO structure without fear of falling back into the bad habits. I've seen both ends of the spectrum (really healthy and really unhealthy) enough to know I prefer being healthy (obviously) but lacking the motivation, willpower or whatever to stick to anything that isn't as rigid or structured as a Whole30. I really like your reintroduction plan of doing a week of each one - that's pretty comparable to the slow roll outlined in the book, isn't it? 

While I am a bit scared of hitting the end (I hit Day 16 today so I'm on the downward slope), I am SUPER excited for the microbrews chillin' in my fridge waiting for me. :wub:

Day 27... so close. I feel like this week I've taken my foot off the gas and ate more fruit than I should or even bigger meals than I need. I'm a plate-cleaner, so I overfill my plate and don't listen to full signals. Since I'm not weighing my food, it can be easy to overdo it. I see the Facebook and Instagram meal posts and think, "There's no way I would be satisfied with that little food." But, feeling too full after a meal isn't the goal either.

I don't feel as light this week as I have been. I don't think I've gained weight overall, but I just don't feel as light. I don't really have another way to describe it. Today I did get out of bed 1 snooze earlier than I usually do. That's a victory for sure. 

This W30 I have definitely had the most consistent gym routine. Both cardio and strength training. I am certain my body composition is better today than it was 27 days ago, but it is also possible the scale will not have some miraculous drop. Blah blah blah, it's not about weightloss. I do get that and I do like that we need to be aware of the other wins of this which is why we don't weigh. But, if you go through all this work and lose nothing or almost nothing when you do have excess pounds to drop it is disappointing. I have been really focusing on my health this year and have lost about 30 lbs. It is reasonable to state I could lose another 20-30lbs and would still be a little pudgy. If I went through all this and hit the gym more consistently than I have been and don't even lose at the pace I was before it'll be hard to not fall back into the calorie counting comfort blanket. Not that I didn't gain areas of health from this, but I'll realize that I need to manage my calories in better. 

This was probably a more negative post than I've been doing, which is sad. Maybe it's hormones. On a positive/negative note, I do think W30's help me pay attention to my body more and I actually notice when my hormones mess with my head. I seriously don't think I got it until I was in my 30's (and started doing W30s). Before I just assumed I was a negative person. Now I realize I can get overwhelmed with emotions occasionally when that isn't really my personality. It's frustrating, but temporary and doesn't define me. 

Thanks for listening to a crabby lady on a Wednesday. Let's hope tomorrow I'm more optimistic. 

Laura

• Moderators

#realtalk I have never really lost much weight on any of my W30s. And yet I come back. Even though I always want to lose weight and even though I never lose weight, really. And that's because of all the other amazing effects, including greater happiness, clearer skin, increased satisfaction with life in general, and the ease of not weighing and measuring, not to mention with every reset, it's easier for me to generally stick to the template and an effect of that is no yo-yo with my weight. That's right: even when I off road, even when I'm not tracking what I eat via weight watchers, even when I'm not restricting, I generally maintain my weight without efforting. And in fairness, I'm not obese. I generally stay within 15 pounds of my ideal weight, more like 5 when things are going well.

So, you have choices to make about how you want to move forward, and that's good news! You get to decide if and how you pursue weight loss, It could slow waaaaaay down but continue in a downward trajectory. You could return to deliberate restriction in one way or another and speed up that process while also changing the game. I get it. I've done it, and I likely will continue to do it. But I'm always seeking ways to do it that don't make me and those who love me crazy. I would like to think that eventually it will become more intuitive and not require careful weighing and measuring. I would like to think, and I've seen this shift in time, that I'll be more responsive more quickly when I get too far off track, therefore doing less damage before coming back to center.

Anyway, this is just all to say I see you and I feel you. And I'm cheering you on as you continue to make your own way toward your best health. I also wish you persistence and patience--and that you stay on the lookout for NSVs regardless of what the scale says.

Day 28... Not much to report today. I'm extremely sore from the gym on Tuesday. I still did my spin class last night, which was hard. Tonight I have my bootcamp again (which is what was Tuesday). Tonight will probably be my last workout of this W30. I typically go to classes at my gym M-Th and the other days I go on walks or am more active in general on the weekends vs the work week. 

Yesterday I wrote out my reintroduction plan. Adding back one category for one week, then removing that category and going to another group. Writing it out and seeing the timeline of being "done" was interesting. I gave myself suggestions of what was in a category to help stay creative. I don't eat grains much anyway, so even thinking about it in a way that wasn't bread or cookies was a bit weird. I don't want to intentionally add snackfood in reintroduction. I'm more thinking of adding foods that are often considered healthy, yet not allowed in W30. Like brown rice and quinoa. 

I'm probably most torn about the sweeteners, knowing they do not promote good health. I'm thinking sweet drinks. Sweetened tea, coffee, koolaid. Overall I want my dessert-type sweet treats to be fruits, which I do love. 

Starting with a plan feels good. I already think I've never been this structured in a W30. Structure is what I like about the program. 

Only 3 more days.

Laura

Day 29

Wow, this will probably be my last post before knowing my results and beginning reintroduction. 

As the NSV's go, I think overall happiness and pride needs to be what I remember. Is it selfish that I feel like I carry myself with more pride during a W30? I think I come off happier because I am. I don't often discuss or brag about what I'm doing, but I'm just happier. I hold my head higher. I feel better about myself. I'm downright proud of myself for doing this for ME and only ME. I like that I'm putting myself first  for a period of time, realizing it's worth telling someone no to their offer. Realizing that I put in my body is nobody's business and shouldn't impact their emotions (like me eating a cookie because I think it would hurt their feelings). That's silly talk and any adult that lets their feelings get hurt for that is an issue with them, not me. It's uplifting to get over that. 

I have read Food Freedom Forever, but I don't think I want to re-read it until after reintroduction. I want to give reintroduction more attention than I gave my W30, honestly. I've done W30s, and I do the 30 days great. I love structure. I love rules. I love the black and white. I'm certain I am not alone in how I handle reintroduction. It's like a reunion with all your friends and it's very easy to get distracted. Then, when you realize you added 3 categories back, feel like crap, and don't know which did it, you just move on as a reintro failure. Or... I always do. 

I'm a planner and I'm wanting to go through the day-by-day book and consider what questions to ask myself each day of reintroduction. Energy, cravings, sleep, skin, digestion, mood, etc. 

My sister called me yesterday about reading a book about alcohol I recommended (This Naked Mind, I highly recommend). It reminds me of It Starts with Food in the sense it discusses alcohol in our diets/life and how useless it is. It was a very well-timed called. I recommended this book to her many months ago and her calling about it as my W30 is ending was perfect as the alcohol reintro is usually what gets me. I'm going to re-read it as I go through reintro, because it really motivates me to avoid alcohol and just appreciate socializing with people in a different way that I'm conditioned to (drunk). 

I'm excited and scared. I'm about to toss the comfort blanket and rely on my own willpower.

I appreciate you all listening. I do intend to continue to document my experience. Considering this is not my first W30 I don't know how valuable the commentary has been to anyone. I hope the reintro fears have rang true with people and to those who are new to the process it really is the hardest part for me and a lot of people. Each W30 gets easier. For first timers I completely understand that reintro is hard. "I signed up for 30 days! I didn't realize it's actually 45 day to complete it accurately! Let me have my 30 day win and be done!" So so so get it, because I do that. I've also done a Whole 45, Whole 60, whatever. I held on to the program and did learn some about myself, but reintro is really where it's at. And then food freedom, which is a lifetime of learning. Deciding what's worth it. Realizing the food or drink of an even isn't always the event. Enjoy moments in different ways. Enjoy people, atmosphere, views, feel. I look forward to getting better each time. I will probably do the January W30 because it's so great to have a huge community of health focused people and you'll never get it like you do at the New Year.  My squad!

Laura

I made it! I had dreams the last few nights I ate or drank non-compliant foods, but I made it!

Results

Scale : down 9.4lbs, about 3-4 inches all around, but about 1-1.5 inches in my waist and hips. All other areas (arms, calves, thighs were down less than half an inch). For comparison's I started at 181.2 and ended at 171.8. I'm 3 lbs away from not being overweight!

I'm happy with those scale results. I know i wanted to see a double-digit loss, but I knew I wouldn't have had the water weight/bloating going into this as I would have if I had a traditional American diet where I had tons of inflammation. It was probably a bigger loss that I prepared myself for it to be. It's the lowest weight I've seen on the scale since February of 2017. I just looked up my weight history, that's longer ago than I was expecting. 

Non-Scale victories : My skin is so so much better. I was expecting that. I'm happier. I'm more confident. I still have energy and excitement for the gym (although tiger blood is not what I'd call it). My clothes fit better, so I like my wardrobe more. 

On to reintroduction. Day 1 of Reintro was Sunday. I'm adding back 1 category each week and otherwise eating compliant. This week is Dairy. I started my day with cheese on my breakfast quiche and heavy whipping cream in my coffee. I used to have cream and sweetener in my coffee. I'm not allowing sweeteners or sugar so I found the cream only in coffee disappointing tasting. So, in the future I may add sweetener to my coffee, but cream may not be value-added. By the end of breakfast my stomach was churning, I assume from the cream. Later in the day I had some vegetables with homemade ranch dressing (with buttermilk). For dinner I had a salad with cheese and ranch dressing. Overall my belly felt a little rumbly right after each meal and then that went away. I didn't notice much else yesterday. 

Mini quiches is my standard breakfast. I meal-prepped them yesterday, dairy-style. They had shredded cheese and cream cheese in them. This morning was the first one I had with the cream cheese in over a month. Holy crap was it delicious. I didn't notice any ill-effects from it, so I'm optimistic shredded/hard cheeses are fine as well as cream cheese. Possibly it's the liquid dairy (HWC and Buttermilk) that might bother me more. 

I did not weigh myself this morning and I think I'll do the weekly after each week of reintro. I typically do not lose any weight in a normal day unless I work out/sweat. Since I didn't work out yesterday I am certain I would have been up today and I didn't want my mind to dwell on blaming dairy or overeating.

I think something I'm a bit concerned about is managing calories and/or the meal template. Cheese I can consider a fat and replace fat with cheese. As I add in other categories like grains and legumes I'm not quite sure what my plate should look like. As a person who does best on a low carb diet I'm a bit scared of those categories. Quite possibly I won't stay in the land of legumes that long because I'm not a huge fan of them. But, there are legumes I don't typically eat, so trying lentils seems exciting for me. For grains I'm looking forward to testing rice with intention. I love rice. I really have barely ate it for the past 7 years because of the carbs. So, when I have ate it I always get followed by guilt. I'm very much looking forward to this next month to not be about guilt but to be about experimenting with my body's reactions. If I gain weight this month, that's fine. But, maybe I do well with the healthier grains and I can stop being so scared of them.

I assume my other posts will be shorter through reintro. Plan is dairy through next Saturday and then on to another category. For now the schedule has sweeteners. Depending on how this week goes I might change my mind and do grains or legumes instead. Just because I know sweeteners are bad, I just like them. Possibly not good to add them so early in reintroduction.

Thanks for listening,

Laura

• Moderators

Congratulations on your fabulous results!! Sounds like reintro is going well. Good luck navigating legumes. For me, the smaller the bean the better. And I don't know what to tell you about how to work it into a template. I think you're just going to have to experiment.

Reintro is going well. Not surprising, but liquid dairy is harder for me to digest it seems than hard dairy (cheeses). All I've had as far as dairy goes is shredded cheeses, cream cheese, ranch dressing (with buttermilk), heavy whipping cream, and blue cheese dressing. Although I haven't felt backed up at all, I think the soft dairy is shooting through my system. Day 1 I had HWC in my coffee for 1 cup and my stomach was in knots before I was even done. Yesterday I had a salad with lots of blue cheese dressing, like, LOTS. I definitely think I overate yesterday. I did have a lapse in willpower and weighed myself last night and this morning because I'm scared about calorie balance with the added dairy. The scale is up from Sunday AM about 1.5lbs. That doesn't really bother me much. I was expecting this week would be a guessing game. I don't really feel super bloated, but I don't feel the lightness I feel through a W30.

I haven't noticed much change in my skin or energy through the day. For some reason I do think I'm sleeping better, though. That could be totally uncorrelated to the dairy, just an observation that my sleep seems better recently. 

I believe I'm going to change up my reset schedule to introduce non-gluten grains next week. I originally was going to do sweeteners and that just feels silly to do before the end. Probably non-gluten grains, then gluten grains, then legumes, then on to sugar/sweeteners/alcohol in the final weeks. I'm probably going to start re-reading Food Freedom Forever before introducing the "bad" items. 

The last several days I've had more fruit than I normally eat and darn if I don't love it. I need to remember that fruit is a satisfying and significantly more healthy sweet than a brownie or cookie. I just need to work on remembering that in the moment of being offers sweets.

Thanks for listening,

Laura

Well, I was going to just run away from this log because I had some sizeable failures this weekend. I traveled to see family and fell hard. I had about 30 hours of off-plan eating, drinking, etc. I was strong for the first 24 hours of the visit and then caved. Today I am back on track. I'm going to return to W30 for at least 2 weeks to get my body some rest after what I put it through. 

It is disheartening, but a weakness I know of myself. I really struggle to be around my family and eat well. I began a healthy lifestyle after moving away from them, so my life with them is not connected to health. Does that mean I need to turn this into giving up and continue it? No. It doesn't. In my normal life I have support and structure to continue to work towards my goals for me. 

I know it is often discouraged to weigh when things like this happen, but to me it is helpful to see the insane bloating my body does when I put crap into it. I do so well with inflammation control when I eat clean. Even this first week being completely on plan yet eating dairy I gained 3lbs in 3 days. I was watching what I was eating, cutting other fats because I knew dairy has calories to consider. I gained 3 lbs in 3 days because my body does something with dairy in it. I may not necessarily feel awful (although some times I did). 

This weekend I had beer, pizza, cupcakes, chicken strips, crab rangoon, french fries, and a frozen coffee with whipped cream. Ugh, I hated writing that out. I came home to being another 5 lbs heavier. I could feel my fingers are swollen. I think my face is greasy. I have a hummm of a headache in the background since this started. 

Regrets? Yes and no. I'm most regretful that I didn't practice food freedom. I had a few items that I really missed, although I ate more of them than I needed. Pizza? I could have stopped with a slice, but didn't. I had two cupcakes and probably would have been satisfied with a bite. 

As I sit here and acknowledge my issues I'm not terrified of Thanksgiving, which would be my next exposure. I have decided I will allow myself non-compliant foods but I intend to focus my willpower on portion control vs black and white. 

So, back to my black and white for a bit. Get some rest, re-invigorate, and move on. Do my best to not beat myself up like a failure. Reintroduction is absolutely the hardest part of this program. 

Thanks, everyone.

Laura

• Moderators
3 hours ago, laurasuzanne said:

I really struggle to be around my family and eat well. I began a healthy lifestyle after moving away from them, so my life with them is not connected to health. Does that mean I need to turn this into giving up and continue it? No. It doesn't. In my normal life I have support and structure to continue to work towards my goals for me. 

The only times I haven't 100% regretted my eating while with family was when I had the "no" of a very structured plan in place and didn't indulge at all. I hate to say it, but it's true. So, I totally understand and commiserate.

No doubt the majority of your weight is bloat and will subside as you return to eating you know makes you feel better. Really good information about dairy. Dairy does the same to me--not that I feel terrible, but it's not optimum. And come to find out, I have a casein intolerance. Go figure.

Wishing you all the best as you're back to normal life and working toward your goals for you--as well as finding your food freedom with and without family. I think it's a lifelong process.

6 hours ago, laurasuzanne said:

t is disheartening, but a weakness I know of myself. I really struggle to be around my family and eat well. I began a healthy lifestyle after moving away from them, so my life with them is not connected to health.

I very much relate to this.  I think I journaled a lot about this struggle my first whole 30.  When around family choices around food go soooooo much deeper than simply choosing what you really want.  There are a lot of emotional and psychological hang ups involved and go so much deeper than just breaking a bad habit.  I’m learning to be understanding with myself but also looking for ways I can change the status quo even just a little.  For instance at Thanksgiving this year I plan to say No to two things I’d normally have but don’t love (jellied cranberry sauce and Waldorf salad) and im going to bring two compliant dishes to share, and the in between stuff is fair game as long as I want it and will really enjoy it.  The last goal for myself is to stop when I’m full.  Period.  I don’t want to be miserably full, I’ve already decided nothing taste that good.   I’m certain the more you change, the more that healthy choices become part of who you are and what you do the more that will spill over naturally into the time spent with family.  It’s also easier to assert ourselves with our healthy life style when we feel we have something substantial to show for it.  Family is often more accepting when they see the results first.  Best of luck as you gear back up for a mini reset 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:17 AM, laurasuzanne said:

I made it! I had dreams the last few nights I ate or drank non-compliant foods, but I made it!

I'm 1/3 the way through my 30 days and have had some health issues. It is nice to read through your reintroduction. It kind of helps me prepare for the future. I have learned that having a really bad headache, like stabbing pains, wears down my resistance. I ate compliant foods but maybe more than I would have otherwise. 

Reading over your log I noticed you love fruit. So do I. What I have learned to do is allow myself a part of a fruit. I will eat a quarter of a small apple, 3-4 dried cranberries, 6-7 raisins, or a half of a banana. I also usually incorporate the fruit into my meal, adding it to an acorn squash or topping a salad. It reminds me that this is good food but not to overindulge. I get to taste the slightly sweet, slightly tart taste that it adds to my meal. It helps me to eat my vegetables. I also try not to have fruit at every meal although I do find that I might have it twice a day but that still means I might have just eaten the equivalent of 1-1 1/2 whole fruits.

You are also giving me hope that cheese could still be in my future. However, I find I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Maybe having so much while doing Keto makes it less enticing now.

Archived