New Whole30 Dressings & Seed Oils

AlyssaB

I was very excited to get Melissa's email last week about the new Whole30 brand salad dressings, and I immediately tacked the ranch and elderberry vinaigrette onto my Thrive order for the upcoming September Whole30. I was surprised, however, to see that the first ingredient listed for both was sunflower oil. During my first Whole30, I was careful to limit my use of seed oils, as indicated by the program rules. In accordance with this, I did not use my Sir Kensington's dijon balsamic dressing during my Whole30  because I was unsure if there was too much sunflower oil in it. For my upcoming Whole30, can I have this dressing?  The ingredients are as follows: 

Sunflower Oil, Organic Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Organic Wine Vinegar, Organic Grape Must), Water, White Balsamic Vinegar (White Wine Vinegar, Grape Must), Organic Lemon Juice, Mustard Flour, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Mustard Seed, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Jasmine Tea Extract.

I'm assuming it's fine since the official Whole30 dressings have Sunflower oil in a similar concentration, so I suppose my real question would be how often should I use these dressings, and should I avoid other seed oils on the days I use these dressings? What does "limiting" seed oils mean in terms of the frequency with which they can be consumed, and the quantity in which they can be consumed? I don't often consume seed oils - I tend to cook with olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee most frequently - but there are days where I like to make stir fry with sesame oil, or times when I'll make a batch of mayo with grapeseed oil. 

This isn't a huge issue and I don't expect it to make or break my upcoming Whole30, but the new dressings got me thinking about it. Thanks in advance! :)

• Moderators

Hi;

The first ingredient is actually 'High Oleic Sunflower Oil', which has a nutrition profile nearly identical to olive oil but won’t solidify in the fridge.  In all the resources and documentation (books, newsletters etc), if the oil is High Oleic seed oil, then it's fine for your whole30.  The concern around seed oils comes when they are (usually) a cheaper version that is not purposely bred to be High Oleic and those are high in polyunsaturated fats which is what we want to avoid.

There's tons of info around the difference between High Oleic seed oils and standard seed oils so if you're interested in the science behind it, google will give you a good start.

There will be no confusion around products with seed oils in their ingredients.  If they're made with High Oleic seed oils, it will say on the ingredients.  If they're not, it'll just say 'sunflower' oil or 'canola' etc...

Archived