Whole30 -- pain and inflammation

KKitty

Hello! I am on day 30. I have noticed quite a few NSV's, and my pain and inflammation/muscle soreness was getting better, but all of a sudden it is terrible. My lower back is incredibly stiff and hurts a LOT. Clearly it's not any of the things I've cut out (dairy, sugar, alcohol, gluten) and I'm beginning to think nightshades are the problem. I love tomatoes and I eat them a LOT. My question is -- should I continue on, and just eliminate nightshades along with everything else? Or should I do the reintroduction while also cutting out nightshades?

• Moderators

It's ultimately up to you, but I think you'll probably get better results if you can eliminate nightshades first, and when you're feeling better, then start reintroductions. It will probably take cutting out nightshades for at least a few days before you feel better, if they're what is causing the problem. If you reintroduce something while you're still in pain, and it turns out that one of the side effects that reintroduced item causes for you is joint pain, you won't necessarily notice that pain because of the pain you're already in. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, KKitty. I have chronic pain and chronic illness too. I've done a couple Whole30s and a lot of "Whole-30-ish" long-term eating. Though I do some coaching, it is not health coaching, so please don't take my post as professional nutrition advice!

That said: if the Whole30 helped you notice nightshades, that's a great thing. If I were in your position, I'd turn this into a Whole60 or at least a Whole45, and eliminate the nightshades, too. Shannon suggests something similar. Then do the reintroductions—slowly, and not starting with nightshades. Reintroduce lentils, wait three days, etc. Do that for a whole month, then try a potato.

Note that some people react to some nightshades but not others, or that our reactivity goes up and down. One of my children is currently in high reactivity due to allergies and mold exposure—and is suddenly allergic to potatoes. Tomatoes seem to be fine. When I had nightshade reactivity, it was eggplant that knocked me out. So anyway, if you do your reintroductions slowly, you may find that after 30-60 days of being off nightshades AND other problem foods, you're able to have one or two nightshades no problem.

Honestly I think most of us with serious chronic inflammation have to get to about 3-4 months of "Whole30-ish" or hardcore paleo/W30 before we can really get good elimination diet results. So it may just take a while.

• 7 months later...

I am in day 29 of my Whole30 and around day 10-12 the inflammation in my fingers worsened (after they had improved for the first 10 or so days).  And since that day (12) I have had pain and inflammation in my hands.  Though not as bad as it was before starting Whole30.  (I was previously diagnosed with osteoarthritis).  I read in the Whole30 book it may be due to foods high in FODMAP.  I printed the grocery list and will, at day 30, begin eliminating the "red" foods from my diet.  First, I want to be sure I am understanding this correct, that inflammation COULD be due to FODMAPs?  AND, if so, how long do I continue with eliminating these from my diet before I try reintroduction?  Then, I assume, I should reintroduce one at a time?  Thank you!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Cauline said:

I am in day 29 of my Whole30 and around day 10-12 the inflammation in my fingers worsened (after they had improved for the first 10 or so days).  And since that day (12) I have had pain and inflammation in my hands.  Though not as bad as it was before starting Whole30.  (I was previously diagnosed with osteoarthritis).  I read in the Whole30 book it may be due to foods high in FODMAP.  I printed the grocery list and will, at day 30, begin eliminating the "red" foods from my diet.  First, I want to be sure I am understanding this correct, that inflammation COULD be due to FODMAPs?  AND, if so, how long do I continue with eliminating these from my diet before I try reintroduction?  Then, I assume, I should reintroduce one at a time?  Thank you!

It could be due to FODMAPS, or it might not be. Was there anything you started eating more of in the days before your pain increased? If so, cutting back on that or cutting it out might make a difference.  If not, I would read this article about FODMAPS  and this one about nightshades  and see if either of them seem to match your experience at all -- the symptoms mentioned or the foods involved being something you had more of leading up to the increased pain. If either of them seem more likely, that's what I'd start with, or if neither seem more likely, just pick one. 

You'll eliminate whichever category of food you decide to try. Some people notice relief within a couple of weeks, it might take longer, or if you aren't actually sensitive to those foods you may not notice any difference. Ideally, probably give it 30 days and then do reintroductions.

Archived