My 1st Whole30 of 2020 (and in several years)...

decker_bear

On 9/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, decker_bear said:

For this round of W30 I'm going to ease in to it for a couple of reasons.

This is my first W30 and I eased into it because I have to be ready and know what to expect. I didn't want to try making a food and find out I didn't like it and then fall off plan or for any other reason that is food-related. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jennifer Jensen said:

This is my first W30 and I eased into it because I have to be ready and know what to expect. I didn't want to try making a food and find out I didn't like it and then fall off plan or for any other reason that is food-related. 

So smart! Plus it makes the side effects less, I think. 

So ... I started tracking my post-W30 log over in that thread, but then I was like, I miss the little group I've connected with over here. So - I'm back. :D

My goal at this point is to shed some fat and get in shape so I can pass the physical test to apply to police departments. The requirements are: 

15" vertical jump
25 sit-ups in 1 minute
16 push-ups without stopping (no time constraint)
1.5 mile run in 15:37 or less 

I'm not stressed about the jump, sit-ups or push-ups. The run kills me. I have asthma and I've never been a great runner, but I have to make this happen. 15:37 is about a 10 minute mile, which is fast for me, but I know I can do it. My focus will be on strength training and increasing speed. I will eat to fuel my workouts. 

I've learned over the years that I feel my best and perform my best when I stick to W30 principles. Gluten is not my friend when I'm running (or training to run), yet I obviously need some carbs for endurance. I think that's why I fell in love with sweet potatoes back in the day.  

So, breakfast ... today I made some chicken thighs, delicata squash, and strawberries. Of course, I also had my coffee with coconut oil. I ate some strawberries and a few bites of chicken and I felt like I just couldn't eat. I left my plate there hoping I would start feeling hungry and be able to finish eating, but I didn't. 

I did my workout on my lunch break. Today was strength - chest, triceps and hamstrings. 5 minute warm up, 1-2 minute run between circuits, and a 5 minute walking cool down and stretching. I feel like I might have pulled a muscle wrong in my back when I was doing dead lifts. Totally crossing fingers that this won't be a problem. 

Post WO snack - banana and protein shake. Soon after I finished the chicken and squash I had prepared for breakfast. 

Other snack: a handful of cashews. 

I roasted a spaghetti squash, so I plan to have that with some compliant marinara and compliant sausage for dinner. 

Okay, Day 2 in my Quest for Physical Fitness... 

I woke up around 4am and my stomach was GROWLING. I was borderline hangry. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn't.  I'm certain it's because I didn't eat enough yesterday. I got up and ate some Raisin Bran Crunch with almond milk, watched an episode of Criminal Minds and eventually fell back asleep. It was crazy hard to get up when the alarm went off and I snoozed for almost 2 hours. Finally, 10 minutes before work started, I dragged myself out of bed and made some coffee. 

Even though I wasn't hungry, I made breakfast first thing. I made some eggs and pan fried some sweet potato in coconut oil and a portobello mushroom in lemon infused olive oil. Surprisingly I was able to eat most of it early in the morning. 

I wasn't hungry for lunch. Not even a little bit. I didn't even notice it was nearly 3pm when I started feeling like maybe I should eat. I planned to do my workout when I got off work at 3:30 (early today since I worked long on Monday) so I didn't want to eat a lot. I had some hard boiled eggs and a couple of cuties. We'll call that lunch instead of a Pre-WO snack since I didn't otherwise eat lunch. 

It's interesting to me how not having the structure of a formal W30 affects mindset. I know I "should" eat all 3 meals. I know I "should" follow the template and eat a lot of vegetables, but there's something about not having a Day Whatever changes my mindset. I have been very diligent about making sure most meals and snacks are compatible, but the mindset is very interesting nonetheless. 

PS I am sore already from yesterday's workout. The 2nd day is always the worst, so I am NOT looking forward to tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been eating Raisin Bran Crunch for breakfast most days. Why? It's easy. I need to find some "easy" breakfast things that don't require pulling out the skillet and cutting boards. 

Lunch today was solid - Aidell's sausage, spaghetti squash, Newman's Own pasta sauce and grapes. 

Anxiety has been kinda overwhelming today. Not overwhelming, exactly, but ever present. Anxiety has a tendency to drive my snacking. 

I did my first outdoor run in a really long time yesterday. I did 4 miles "wogging" (half walking, half jogging) and finished in just under an hour. That's not fast, but I did it and I finished it. My allergies flared up and did not respond to medication. I was miserable the rest of the day, all of last night and into this morning. I finally felt better after the 2nd dose of allergy meds I took this morning. Note to self: take allergy meds BEFORE going outside to run. 

I don't have a plan for dinner. I'm sick of protein and veggies. 

I feel like I'm just whining today. Gotta pull out of the funk. Maybe a fun, new dish for dinner will help. I still want to try the Paleo Pad Thai - maybe we'll give that a shot. 

• Moderators

I hope you enjoy your dinner whatever it turns out to be. Congrats on your outdoor run, and hope you can get those allergies under control. That will help your performance infinitely, I'm sure. As for breakfast, one of my faves is soup this time of year. Once it's made just put some on the stove and heat it up. Very nourishing and satisfying.

• Moderators
On 11/3/2020 at 4:41 AM, tamar said:

That sounds so fun! Any particular types?

I like this one and will be making a batch for myself this weekend! I also love any variety of other pureed veggie soups like cauliflower or celery with spinach or butternut squash. If you sauté or roast the veggies in enough fat, all you need to do is add some protein and you have a delicious template meal that goes down easy in the morning.

Archived