The Seduction of LadyM Returns

LadyM

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Jennifer Jensen said:

It's amazing how much diet affects our lives! Glad you're getting to move into your house. My advice do all you need to do to your house now. I have been waiting for new floors for 25 years. Our house will be paid off next year and the money is going to re-sodding the yard first. 

Thanks for the advice! I'm doing all I can with the money I have--and waiting on a very talented uncle to be able to come and do just one bedroom floor as well as put up a wall in the basement. Not urgent things. Definitely making it livable and cozy right away--and I will heed your good words about not waiting too long to make it mine.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
23 hours ago, Jennifer Jensen said:

I think I will have a party when I can get rid of all my plus size clothing for good!

Smallest I ever wore was a 12 but 10 or 12 is all I really ever hope for. My mom who keeps shrinking (really she is not doing well) keeps handing me her size 8 and 10 clothing as well as everything else up to a 14. Only a few of them are "me" but I take a few and hang onto them because they are classic styles and good quality. Who knows? 

Oh yes--very much worth a party!! For me the size doesn't matter quite as much as just getting back into clothes I once loved and have long aspired to wear again. And it's taken a looooooong time I now realize because my body had a lot of healing to do before it could release the weight. It's been really important to not be on anyone's timetable but my body's. And to finally only wear clothes I really love.

So sorry your mom is not doing well. Watching some of the people in my life age and become ill has certainly been a cautionary tale and inspiration for me to get my health in order. My mother slowly killed herself with diabetes she didn't control that led to heart disease and major depression; my father struggled his entire life with morbid obesity and ultimately committed a violent suicide. My grandmother, on the other hand, lived until nearly 102 hardly taking any meds at all except a baby aspirin and a stool softener now and again. I aim to make my own way as joyfully and authentically as possible--and keeping my eyes wide open about who I am and the choices I'm making.

1 minute ago, LadyM said:

. My grandmother, on the other hand, lived until nearly 102 hardly taking any meds at all except a baby aspirin and a stool softener now and again.

Amazing! I just finished a hike and feel at least 10 years older in spite of loving the outdoors so much. My grandmother lived to be 93 and the last thing she did was plant flowers before she had a stroke. She had a list of things to do in her car and a change of clothes. I deliver meals for Meals on Wheels and I pray I never end up unable to get out of bed. My goal is to get healthy and remain healthy the rest of my life.

• Moderators

Day 54

Super low energy today, though happy to report I sold my dining room table and chairs. I wasn't in love with the set; it served me well; I was ready to let it go. It means I won't have a dining table in the new house until I buy one, but it will just be me there for a while, so a barstool at the kitchen counter will do just fine. It feels so good to let go of stuff and create space!

I think i may need to give up coffee soon. I regularly go off it when I feel it's time for a break, and that feeling is nigh. It may need to wait until after the school term is over around Thanksgiving, but that's OK. Lord knows there are enough changes around here without me adding to it!

Trying to manage groceries so I don't end up having to move a whole lot of produce next week. I think I have a good balance. And I'll certainly need to move some things from the fridge and freezer anyway. But it's nowhere near the amount I normally have on hand.

Got 10,000+ steps yesterday for the first time in I can't remember when. Maybe that's why I'm low energy today? Must remind myself I'm still recovering. It's OK to take it slow. Just need to pack a couple boxes. Now that I have a big empty space in the dining room, packing and stacking boxes will go much more smoothly.

I did not set a timer and pack yesterday, but I did clean and clear and prep for the sale of the table and chairs, so that's something. I'll get there. I also need to grade papers and tend to my classes, so I may just focus on that today since I'm not feeling physically strong.

Happy Saturday and cheers to the weekend, all! My last weekend in this apartment. . . .

• Moderators

Day 55

Happy to report I've made tremendous progress with packing. I think I'll likely pack all the empty boxes I have today and figure out how many more to pick up tomorrow from UHaul. I just might be done ahead of schedule!

And I'm so proud of myself--and grateful to W30--for eating well throughout these stressful times. I don't think I've ever moved before without relying on takeout/fast food for at least a week of meals. This time I'm preparing wholesome foods for myself no matter what, and I think it's actually helped alleviate my stress level. It's the opposite of what I once thought.

Note to self: remember that eating this way ultimately reduces stress and is always worth spending the time and energy on doing. It's not that big a deal once it becomes habit.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:28 AM, LadyM said:

I think i may need to give up coffee soon. I regularly go off it when I feel it's time for a break, and that feeling is nigh.

I do this, too.  I love coffee-especially with cream, but I can drink it black.  Every so often, though, it starts to taste strange and I think it's time to take a break.  So, I'll break for a few months and then start back up again when I feel like having a cup.  I've never seen any real difference in myself on or off coffee.  

Congratulations on the packing!  What an achievement, especially given you're recovering from Covid.  And an even bigger achievement to maintain the healthy habits.  I think it is one of those irrational beliefs that people (me!) have that when time gets short, life gets thrown off schedule, the best way to cope is to save time and energy with fast food.  On my better days, I've done the math (20 minutes to throw together a salad and make dressing in the morning vs. a quick-20 min in line?-trip through the drive-thru at lunch...).  What a wonderful testament to your dedication to your health!  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

I do this, too.  I love coffee-especially with cream, but I can drink it black.  Every so often, though, it starts to taste strange and I think it's time to take a break.  So, I'll break for a few months and then start back up again when I feel like having a cup.  I've never seen any real difference in myself on or off coffee.  

Congratulations on the packing!  What an achievement, especially given you're recovering from Covid.  And an even bigger achievement to maintain the healthy habits.  I think it is one of those irrational beliefs that people (me!) have that when time gets short, life gets thrown off schedule, the best way to cope is to save time and energy with fast food.  On my better days, I've done the math (20 minutes to throw together a salad and make dressing in the morning vs. a quick-20 min in line?-trip through the drive-thru at lunch...).  What a wonderful testament to your dedication to your health!  

Thank you so much! And yes, you and are absolutely on the same page--with coffee and figuring out that it actually doesn't take more energy or time to eat in the healthy groove once you're in it. I think it's a really good thing to constantly be observant and reassess our habits.

• Moderators

Day 56

It's official: I'm a homeowner!!

I closed this morning and popped over this afternoon to check on the painter. And this is hilarious to me: the first thing I  moved into the new space was all my booze. I emptied out my bar and grabbed the boxes of wine from the basement and I had FOUR BOXES of the stuff, all of which I haven't touched in the more than one year since I moved the last time.

The thing is, I'm a party girl. Come summer and come the holidays I'm kind of famous for being a good time and loving to have a cocktail or two. My people are from Wisconsin and Texas and it's how we do. My entourage of gay friends are all about it. The Dude manages a bar. 

But the thing is when I stop drinking I don't miss it. I mean AT ALL. Really makes me wonder why I even ever do it anymore. I guess to be social. And I do love a nice wine with a good meal. Or a fun cocktail poolside. But the pandemic has interrupted all that, and frankly, as I continue to recover from COVID, I don't think I need a powerful immunosuppressant like alcohol in my life for the foreseeable future. I think I'd rather ring in 2021 sober and perhaps even still on W30. Who knows.

This morning I was awake super early and opted to roll out my yoga mat and do a decent practice. I'm teaching a yoga class for the first time in months (online) Wednesday, and it seemed only right to get back to the mat myself. It felt good. And challenging. Slowly getting back to it. And I may have more opportunities once again to teach yoga and barre since the studio closed. So, I'm excited about that possibility.

And I've been contemplating my daily and weekly practices and how very much I look forward to establishing new patterns in the new house. I have an enormous finished basement for which I have no plans except yoga and other fitness activities. It will be wonderful to have designated space for that. Feeling so out of shape lately despite the weight loss and better nutrition--and it's simply because I haven't been moving my body much. But I think the rest has been needed. And in good time, a return to physical practices will come. I'm not going to push it, but I am looking forward to getting stronger on purpose. Little by little.

Food today is fine. I stopped at Costco before closing and picked up more orange roughy and shrimp to see me through this week and next until my Butcherbox arrives. So thrilled to get to break in the new kitchen! But first, I must finish packing the current kitchen!

• Moderators

Day 57

Packing continues, but it's quitting time. I really do need to pace myself. And I'm very much on track. I may even be fully packed by tomorrow. Despite COVID, I've never had as stress-free time of it packing and moving. I mean, I hope I'm not speaking too soon--we'll see how it goes Friday. But it's like W30 helped tidy up my mind and my habits and for just about the first time ever I've done things bit by bit rather than stressing and working right up against a deadline. Feeling pretty proud of myself right now, what can I say?

Again, food is fine. Spent a little time preparing my food for the rest of the week so i can pack up my kitchen. Nice to have that done.

Couldn't get warm earlier because this apartment is bloody freezing, and it's cold and rainy out. Glad I'd scheduled a session in the infrared sauna this afternoon. Nothing warms me like it--from the inside out. Not even a hot bath and tea was working for me. But the IR helped a lot.

Now I'm going to put my feet up and watch an episode of a scary series I'm watching on Netflix. I love watching scary stuff this time of year. And I'm praying for better sleep tonight. It's not terrible, but it's not as restful as I'd like. I think it's all the activity and anxiety around the move. I suspect I'll sleep like a baby come Friday in the new house.

• Moderators

Day 58

I'm just about completely packed!! Kitchen, except for the stuff I need for coffee and to heat my food, is packed. I even took over all my stuff from the freezer, as well as much of my wall art, to the house. Getting there. Little by little. Oh, and the painter is making good progress, and I absolutely love the color I chose. It's a dramatic transformation already, and I'm thrilled!

The noon yoga class I taught today went well, and I have a meeting scheduled for next week with a new studio owner to start picking up more classes. I'm thrilled about this, too, and it couldn't come at a better time. All the costs of being a homeowner are really adding up, and I could really use the income from teaching yoga and barre that has dried up since the pandemic and quarantine hit. So, we'll see. I'm hopeful everything will work out for the best.

I really am just amazed that food is not an issue right now. I mean seriously. Every other major life shift I've experienced has also come with eating I've regretted. Not this time. This is such a good thing. Cheers Whole 30, and thank you!!

• Moderators

Day 59

I. am. pooped. But I'm ready for the movers to come in the morning, and I've successfully moved all my wall art (save one giant painting), food from the fridge and freezer, and lamps into the house. Just need to do a couple loads of laundry and pack up my bedding in the morning.

EXCITED AND EXHAUSTED. That's my day. How cool that I'll be starting a new chapter of my life on Day 60 of this Whole30. I have no plans to stop at this moment. I figure I will when it's time and I'll know when that is.

• Moderators

Days 60 and 61

The move went well though it ended up costing almost double what I expected. Oh well. It's done. The painters should be done tomorrow if not today and I can begin unpacking in earnest. I'm not in a rush except for the kitchen. Once I can get the kitchen organized it will feel like home. I am so ready to start cooking here!!

Yesterday I barely had time or energy to eat, though I did manage to literally eat with my fingers a little tupperware of chicken and cabbage I'd prepared for the occasion while crouching in an empty bedroom as the movers continued to work. You do what you gotta do, amiright? And I pulled some chili out of the freezer for today, which is perfect as I don't think I'll be able to do much in the kitchen except zap some chili in the microwave. It's all good.

Cheers to happy Saturday and a candy-free Halloween!!

• Moderators

Day 63

Well, it's decided, friends, I'm continuing my W30 at least until it's a Whole90. Then I'll reassess and decide if I'll keep going through January 1 with a week break to reintroduce my beloved legumes and maybe a glass of wine or two. But other than that, I'm perfectly happy with this WOE for now. And after my reintros in January, if that's indeed the way it works out, I'll probably jump back into another Whole 30 that will likely be a Whole 75.

I'm a planner, what can I say. Though I know the best laid plans can be derailed. Anyway, just wanted to put that out there.

Continuing to unpack and juggle the rest of life more or less successfully. I'm starting to sleep a little better, though the painter is coming back later this week to begin work on the bedrooms, so there will be more shuffling around. I'm also having my thyroid rechecked on Wednesday, and I have a suspicion I'm a little hyperthyroid at the moment and will need to reduce my meds. Not a bad thing. But it could be why I'm not sleeping as soundly or as long as I'd like. We'll find out soon!

Big teaching day tomorrow for me, so I'd better get to prep work. Cheers to a new week and a new month, friends! I'm feeling good about November, how about you?

• Moderators

Days 64-66

All is well in my world, though I'm exhausted and feel behind in everything. Oh well. That's just how it is right now getting unpacked and settled, teaching online full time, and doing my best to get my health together.

Food is fine though still a bit meager at the moment. Pretty sure I've lost a significant amount of weight and it's time to start adding in more fats. This is part of phase three of my doctor-supervised thyroid tweaks, and I should have some thyroid and hormonal panel test results soon, so I'm eager to find out how things may have shifted since August.

Anyway, starting Saturday I'll be adding in fattier meats and a greater variety of veggies, and I'm positively thrilled. I have so many recipes I'm ready to dive into, and I'm excited to hit the farmers market Saturday to stock up on eggs and lamb and greens and maybe a little winter squash, though I'm still minimizing starches for another three weeks.

Little by little the house is coming together. Kitchen is fully unpacked and the interior painting is getting there. Painter expects to finish up by Sunday. It's looking and feeling more and more like home, and the neighborhood is such that I pop out multiple times a day to escape screen time, get some fresh air, and walk.

My step count is back up to a minimum of 12,000 per day; I'm back to regular yoga; and I return to pilates tomorrow, adding barre next week. Ready to get back in shape and feel strong again. Feeling good about my pacing.

That's enough for now. It's pretty quiet around here, so I likely won't post and comment daily. But I hope everyone is doing well, whether sticking to their Whole 30s or riding their own bikes. 

• Moderators

Day 69

Big day of meal prep. I slept soundly through the night for the first time in eons last night, and I feel like I have a different kind of energy today--thankfully so, because I have a lot to get done! Including moving furniture so the last of the painting can be finished--yahoo! Then my aunt and uncle come next weekend to help me install a new floor in my office/yoga room. It's all getting to feel quite wonderful here. Like home, as they say.

I'm also reintroducing increased fats after my doctor-supervised thyroid protocol has come to completion, and my oh my is it wonderful to have avocado and ghee and homemade mayo once again. Here's my plan for today:

M1: kale and eggs with pork belly and coffee with vital proteins and nut pods (experimenting here with some increased protein)

M2: roast chicken and brussels sprouts

M3: tri tip with mashed cauliflower and horseradish mayo

I included links to recipes above because they're especially good. Simple, but good. Just the way I like. Life is delicious, no?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Day 77

I'm still in it, y'all. I am starting to get interested in the possibility of eating some chocolate again one day, though, I must admit. But the template is perfect eating. And so I shall continue. Though my birthday is next Tuesday and I am considering making a vegan keto chocolate cheesecake for the occasion. Not unhealthy, but also not Whole30. No interest in reintroductions or stopping, so if I do off road, I'll just get right back to Whole30. The days don't matter at this point. I just don't want it to become a runaway train. So, we'll see.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi LadyM!  Nice to see a familiar name around here :)  Day 77... what a great feeling!  And all that movement - how awesome!  I sure hope you don't end up locked down again :mellow: 

After a 3-4 month stint with "mostly" carnivore I've decided to go back to what feels more nourishing and do a W30.  I popped into the forum for the first time in almost a year... and... wow, cobwebs :)  I used to love this place and the support!  And I find it so useful looking back at my old logs... Anyway, just wanted to say hi because your name was the only one I recognized :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 11/17/2020 at 7:31 AM, littleg said:

Hi LadyM!  Nice to see a familiar name around here :) Day 77... what a great feeling!  And all that movement - how awesome!  I sure hope you don't end up locked down again :mellow: 

After a 3-4 month stint with "mostly" carnivore I've decided to go back to what feels more nourishing and do a W30.  I popped into the forum for the first time in almost a year... and... wow, cobwebs :) I used to love this place and the support!  And I find it so useful looking back at my old logs... Anyway, just wanted to say hi because your name was the only one I recognized :lol:

Hi, @littleg! Good to see you, too! It sure is a different place around here than when I used to be a regular years ago. You're a certified coach now? Awesome! Whole30 is still simply the best thing. I'm sure as more people copped onto it, the social media activity has shifted to IG and FB and such. But I still am fond of the forum and all it offered me when I was just a pup starting out. 

Good for you for coming back to being well fed and nourished in every way with W30. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Day 100 (!)

So, today would have been day 100, but I have ridden my own bike a bit over the past couple of weeks, as I suspected I might. But aside from the Against All Grains pumpkin pie for T-Gives and chocolatecoveredkatie keto chocolate cake for my birthday and a couple sips of wine to celebrate my own housewarming with a couple beloveds, I'm otherwise sticking to the template and doing grand.

Oh, and I have stepped on the scale and discovered I've lost about 25 pounds since this all began September 1. More importantly, I'm feeling dang good, like I'm sincerely on the mend from all the crud I was hit with during this W30, including grief, COVID-19, and shingles. I'm still recovering, no doubt, and it will take time to get this pummeled immune system back up to snuff, but I'm optimistic. And this is highly motivating to continue a Whole9 life of my own creation.

For right now that means a deepened commitment to my supportive morning practices, which include 30 minutes of either barre or yoga, pranayama (breathing practice), meditation, and journaling. I've also switched from coffee to Rasa in the morning. And I'm continuing with a very easy intermittent fasting rhythm in which my eating window on any given day is no longer than 8 hours. It's all working quite well for me, and I'm grateful all over again for Whole 30 and having the tools for a life of food freedom.

I started back in 2013, and I've just gotten healthier and closer to real freedom since it began. It wasn't like flipping a switch by any means, but I've continued to learn and grow and tweak what works for me. And I've always come back to the template and the Whole 9 tenets. They've never steered me wrong.

I sincerely wish the same for all of you who are reading, at whatever point on the journey you're on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators
On 12/18/2020 at 9:23 AM, nanners said:

Spent a very snowy time reading your log since September. Very inspiring, Hope things are going well. Thanks for sharing

My pleasure! Thank YOU for reading!

• Moderators

So, I've been on the keto end of paleo with some riding of my own bike since I last appeared here, but a little more dairy and chocolate has started to take over more than their share of my diet lately, so I'm seriously considering a May 2021 Whole30 reset. Just wanted to pop on and see what's happening around the forum. See who's around and maybe in for a May W30. Every now and then it's so good to tighten the reins a bit and remember what it feels like to live our best lives, no?

Archived