SeptemberWhole30 starting 9/14/20

pearlgirl2017

how did everyone's weekend go?  Mine was pretty solid....except that after a long day of interior painting yesterday, I walked with my partner to the liquor store across the street because he wanted a nice cold tasty beverage.  It was easy for me not to be tempted, but I felt like I deserved a "treat" too.  They only thing I could get was a small bottle of 100% pure orange juice and I only drank a little bit...I know you're not supposed to have fruit juice unless you add it to a recipe for sweetener...but I don't feel like this threw me off in any way and I am saving the rest of it for carnitas this week.  I don't have to start all over do I???? 

On 9/19/2020 at 7:31 PM, dnewc said:

That soup looks amazing.

It is really good and very flexible.  I used what I had on hand and it came out great.  I used (Pederson Farms) pre-made Spicy Breakfast Sausage for the Italian Sausage, cauliflower for the potatoes and a bag of baby spinach for the kale.  All I had to do was add a little salt for my taste.  I have a bunch of Pyrex 2-cup storage bowls and it filled 6 of them. 

Well Hello to Day 9! Everyone hanging in there?  I am finally falling asleep shortly after going to bed.  And last night I stayed asleep all night, waking shortly before the alarm.  The best NSV!!!

Yesterdays meals were pretty simple.

Meal 1: Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausage link, a fist sized amount of sweet potatoes with ghee mashed in.

Meal 2: Zuppa Toscana soup.

Meal 3: https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/flounder-and-asparagus-with-fresh-lemon-pepper/ served with steamed brussels sprouts (cuz my man no likey 'spargus) and a lemon/olive oil dressing.

Today will pretty much be a repeat.

3 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Well Hello to Day 9! Everyone hanging in there?  I am finally falling asleep shortly after going to bed.  And last night I stayed asleep all night, waking shortly before the alarm.  The best NSV!!!

Good to hear!  I thought my energy would even out more by now but I am still feeling very tired.  This started about day 2-3 and hasn't let up.  I haven't done a regular work out in weeks because i was having back issues, which resolved but I also have not been able to get myself up out of bed any earlier to get back into my regular routine.   Please tell me this too shall pass.  ;)

10 Days down!  The start of Day 11.  I am certainly experiencing the food boredom.  Not with the food I am eating, but with the prep/cook/cleaning.  I don't want to cook dinner.  I don't want to think about cooking dinner.  I don't want to plan what's for dinner tomorrow.  

Anyway...1/3 of the way through, better times are still ahead!

I had a bit of an unintentional fail - I had cooked some compliant chicken with green chilies and my daughter heated some up in the microwave to make tacos. I was just going to have the same thing but on top of a salad. She heated a bunch extra so I piled it on my salad not realizing until I had eaten a fair bit that she had added  grated jack cheese in with it.

I have already made a bunch of compliant food and I was doing fine. I am going to stick with it but I can't consider this a WHOLE 30 unless I just keep going longer.  I may try again after Oct 21st when I get back from a camping trip.

Happily I am still enjoying the benefits like amazing sleep!

Day 13.  Have I really only completed 12 days?  Almost half-way there.

I've made my meal plan for the week, checked my grocery list and I'm ready to hit the grocery store.  The meal plan looks a little ambitious to me, but hopefully there will be some leftovers.  Some nights ya jus doe wanna cook.....

Welcome to Day 15!  How is everyone doing?  I'm still waiting for the "continuous energy", and for my pants to feel less tight.  I'm loving the NSV's that I am having - better sleep and better knees.  Cravings have really started to hit.  I'm hoping that is my brain throwing a tantrum because it's finally running out of sugar. That's a good thing - yes?  

Day 17.  Is anyone still with me?  I have really been trying this week to make sure that I am eating according to the template.  I'm sure I've been eating too much protein and too little healthy fat.  I've been adding a lemon tahini dressing to my veggies lately to make sure I get it.  Maybe that will make a difference.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

Thank you for joining me here.  I have previously attempted Whole30's before.  I have made it as far as day 23.  This time I WILL make it to day 30 and a proper reintroduction.  

I seriously need to take better care of myself.  With all that's going on in the world right now I need to at least feel in control of what I am eating.

Apparently, making it past week 3 is extremely difficult. I have noticed other people saying they made it to day 23 or so. I am sure you will make it this time. I have planned out one week of meals but it is changing a little because my  husband is doing a liquid/mush/soft diet after oral surgery and he didn't realize it until I asked the day before his surgery. As a result my week 1 will probably stretch two weeks or almost. I officially started today but I have been playing around with it for 10 days before committing. I also had to make sure I have all my ingredients and was trying to finish the books first.

I am committed to seeing some changes. For me I will probably have to go back and do an addition Whole60 or 90 after the new year. I have an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) and maybe another one - my rheumatologist is monitoring me. All I know is every time I get ready for an exercise plan a couple of weeks or months into it I have some kind of big health setback. I need to be healthy and lose weight. I need to get rid of inflammation. I am even hoping this improves my neuropathy. We'll see. Additionally, I have low stomach acid which must be the reason I have digestive issues. I too need to take better care of myself.

18 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Day 17.  Is anyone still with me?  I have really been trying this week to make sure that I am eating according to the template.  I'm sure I've been eating too much protein and too little healthy fat.  I've been adding a lemon tahini dressing to my veggies lately to make sure I get it.  Maybe that will make a difference.

I'm with you!  This week I have been extremely exhausted and I have been eating plenty of starchy carbs....that said, the smoke here in Colorado is bad, has been bad for months with the wildfires and we got new carpet installed at work...so lots of fumes and chemicals and poor air quality going on.  I went to bed at 8pm last night and slept until 5:30 this morning!  Today i feel fantastic and still going strong.  My co-worker wanted to pick me up a fancy coffee drink on her way in and I had the will to politely decline, because I had just brewed an herbal tea.  I'm a bit frustrated because I'm not really feeling any different than when is started but I am hopeful by the end I will.  I know for some it can take a very long time to undo what has been done.  Keep on keeping on! 

Wow!  Day 20!  If I can make it through the weekend I think I'll be okay.  There is def. more structure to the work week (I'm an essential worker).  My grocery list is short so the temptations of the store will be short.  I hope!!!

C_J that's great on the dessert-like coffee drink.  Way to go will power!

This week I think I will make the Zuppa Toscana soup again, and another vegetable-heavy based soup.  Going to try a stir-fry tomorrow night https://therealfoodrds.com/whole30-steak-stir-fry-guest-blog/.  Another favorite of mine is https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/34746/baked-salmon-ii/.  It goes great with steamed yellow squash.

Stay safe and have a great weekend.

Yummy!  I had a friend over for dinner last night and thank my stars he eats very well (better than me! ) already.  We made yummy chicken wings in the air fryer with New Primal buffalo sauce, roasted sweet potatoes in the oven and sauteed zucchini.  With a side of Wildbrine sauerkraut and flavored sparkling water!  It was soooooooooooooooo good.  I have not once regretted my decision to purchase an air fryer.  So worth it!

Only less than 9 days left.....I can't believe how fast it has gone....I"m pretty nervous about day 31 and beyond....my parents will be visiting from out of town on day 33 and I didn't really warn them about anything.  They are pretty used to me going on an off of restrictive food resets, so they're used to my shennanigans but I know they will want to go out to eat (because I gifted them giftcards to places where I live for when they were coming to visit) and just that makes me nervous.  I guess we do the best we can!  

I have learned something about myself during this Whole30.  One thing is that tomato based sauces, or soups with tomatoes, make me want something sweet afterwards.  And two - it only takes a few negative comments from my companion for me to self soothe with non-compliant food.  So with this new-found knowledge I will continue on, counting today as Day1.  Meal 1 this morning was a vegetable/ground beef soup (with an added tbls of coconut oil).  And just an FYI - those pre-shredded carrots NEVER get soft.  Meal 2 will be the Zuppa Toscana soup, and Meal 3 will be pork chops and Butter Braised Cabbage (made with ghee instead of butter) https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256279/buttered-braised-cabbage/.

21 hours ago, C_J said:

my parents will be visiting from out of town on day 33 and I didn't really warn them about anything.  They are pretty used to me going on an off of restrictive food resets, so they're used to my shennanigans but I know they will want to go out to eat (because I gifted them giftcards to places where I live for when they were coming to visit) and just that makes me nervous.  I guess we do the best we can!  

Try having a mini-meal, or a filling kind of snack before you go.  It's easier to make better choices if you aren't starving when you get there. Stay strong.

Archived