First time

Germane

Hello, I started 9/9, so I am five days in.

I am 53.  I had a pretty bad nicotine lozenges habit.  I was never a smoker.  They help with mental clarity and alertness, but became an expensive crutch for me, and I felt I could never cope with stress or make mental effort without one.  Also, I was drinking too much (2 or 3 beers or equivalent a day).  

So I woke up five days ago, and decided I was done with lozenges.  I also resolved to quit alcohol for at least a month.  Then, in the same flow of thought, I decided, “I should also start Whole 30 today.”

So I did.  I read the book a couple of years ago but can’t find it.  Still, the rules are clear to me and the website is great. I know now I wasn’t supposed to start this way - that I should have prepared and planned, but it’s still going ok.

Because I am withdrawing from the nicotine, the food part of this feels easy.  I didn’t have a huge sweet tooth and actually enjoy a lot of the compliant foods.  I am incredibly grateful for coffee (which I have always taken black).   At least I still have that little dependency;) I  am sure I will get tired of the food limitations eventually, but for now I am seriously craving nicotine and missing that mint flavor in my mouth.  

I don’t need to lose weight, but I do need to change my life, to have energy and self-belief, and to wake my brain.  If I can reduce the stiffness and pain that plague my hips and legs, I will be thrilled.  If my GI issues resolved or improved, THAT would be so great.  I ready I think the pain is less and I definitely feel better when I wake in the morning (probably because of the alcohol).

Even though I am off to an unorthodox start, I just wanted to introduce myself and “thank you” to our hosts for facilitating.  

Archived