Shawna's First Whole 30


Recommended Posts

Today I begin my first whole30. Going to use this as my journal.

I am very excited and nervous as well. 

Over a year ago I gave up flour and sugar.  I have been eating that way successfully but have been still feeling run down, bloated and just not right. 

I have been starting to read labels even more and discovering hidden sugars in things I didn't think would have sugar ie. Chicken broth. Why put sugar in chicken broth?? Or the sushi I was eating every other day, found out they put sugar in the rice! Blows my mind!!

So today, I begin this journey for myself, to show myself continued self care. 

Let's do this Shawna!!!

Breakfast was to big, scale back some. 

I need to remember that since I have had gastric bypass weightloss surgery,  I cannot eat a lot at once. In order to get enough food in me in a day I have to graze. It takes me awhile to finish a meal. Something I want to observe more as the days go on. 

I feel like my thoughts are all over the place!!

I am proud of me!

Love yourself Shawna 

Link to post
Share on other sites

R1D2

Feeling good about yesterday. Need to plan more meals but I have a plan for today. I enjoyed looking for the non scale victories.

Felt a little anxious after dinner when I would usually snack on something starchy ie usually popcorn. But I made it through. 

Slept ok. 

Fully stocked up on food. Thursday I will meal prep like a beast.

Looking forward to what today brings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Focusedwave said:

discovering hidden sugars in things I didn't think would have sugar ie. Chicken broth. Why put sugar in chicken broth?? Or the sushi I was eating every other day, found out they put sugar in the rice! Blows my mind!!

I agree with you, why is sugar is so many foods?  My grump is with pasta sauce.  Really?  Soup broth is another one that irks me.  I have yet to find a compliant soup broth in grocery stores near me.  I make my own but it ticks me off that I can't buy one without sugar in it. 

Welcome to the forum, you're going to feel GRReat! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

R1D3

Feeling so good! My bloating is so much better but I feel like my digestion is still wacky, but it is only day 3 so I get it. 

After I gave up sugar I ate a lot of corn tortilla chicken tacos with cheese. I love tacos, so easy and filling. I am suspicious of the corn and cheese being a sensitivity for me though. Tonight I am having tacos in lettuce cups, no cheese, instead I am using guacamole and salsa YUMMY!! I also roasted a huge tray of veggies and they are very tasty. Also made coconut lime rice from Real Plans. I am loving all this whole30 food.

I'd like to share a little story with you about something that happened to me this morning. 
Each night I set up my coffee so that it will automatically brew while I am in the shower in the morning. 
After getting ready I came into the kitchen, which was dark and I step in a puddle. I turn on the light and the floor is wet, the counters are wet and then I realize....I never put the coffee pot in the machine! An entire pot of decaf....everywhere!
I laughed, I thought to myself "No use in crying over spilled coffee" and I chuckled. As I was cleaning it up I thanked The Universe for this lesson in patience. Perhaps this happened to stall me so that I wouldn't get in a car accident, perhaps this or that. Who knows. The Universe works in mysterious ways and today I am happy to say that it gave me a laugh rather than a cry!! 
Try to find some humor today in the lessons that life gives you. When you get upset, it only causes twice the suffering. 

NSV??? More patience, less reactivity...I'll take it!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, Focusedwave said:


I laughed, I thought to myself "No use in crying over spilled coffee" and I chuckled. As I was cleaning it up I thanked The Universe for this lesson in patience. Perhaps this happened to stall me so that I wouldn't get in a car accident, perhaps this or that. Who knows. The Universe works in mysterious ways and today I am happy to say that it gave me a laugh rather than a cry!! 
Try to find some humor today in the lessons that life gives you. When you get upset, it only causes twice the suffering. 

NSV??? More patience, less reactivity...I'll take it!!!

 

This is my favorite NSV ever. BRAVO!! I find I have greater steadiness, greater ease, more mental and emotional stability as well as the wherewithal to make deliberate choices, even about my responses to things, when I'm well fed on a W30. It's pretty rad, isn't it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LadyM said:

This is my favorite NSV ever. BRAVO!! I find I have greater steadiness, greater ease, more mental and emotional stability as well as the wherewithal to make deliberate choices, even about my responses to things, when I'm well fed on a W30. It's pretty rad, isn't it? 

It is absolutely amazing!!! I didnt think I would see such changes in my attitude in 4 days, but I definitely have! 

I run a Pizza shop with my husband and I am usually major stressed and on edge there, and the past 3 days I have been much more chill :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was R1D4. Didnt get a chance to journal. 

All is going pretty good, but I am overeating at dinner. Always have. Need to work on this so that I dont go to bed stuffed. Feeling good overall. I think it really helps that I was already eating pretty healthy, not feeling the hangover that is talked about. I suspect dairy was the cause of my bloating as that has gone down now. I do get bloated when I overeat.

Having had gastric bypass messes with my digestion and bowel movement, so this remains a challenge.  Discovered that the fiber I was taking has wheat dextrin, so that could have been an issue as well. I havent taken it in a week though, so happy I discovered that and havent taken it while on whole30.

Heres to an awesome Day 5!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a KATT day for sure. I didnt want to deal with anyone at work except for my husband. He kept me grounded and positive. It helps to work with someone who understands my moods. 

I used to HATE bell peppers. Wouldn't eat them for anything. Wouldnt eat dishes that they were in, but now I have discovered that I love them roasted!! A little charred...yes please. 

I got anxious feeling yesterday because I didn't know exactly what I was going to eat. I had plenty of compliant foods, but didnt have a plan for what to actually eat. I made it through just fine. For dinner I made a version of chicken fried rice with cauliflower rice and it was wonderful!

I feel like I have already slimmed down, I know it has to be the less bloating, feels fantastic! 

My husband will say, "You look so skinny" and I reply, "Healthy, I look healthy" 

I am loving this! I am grateful that I found whole30!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

I can't believe you work in a pizza shop and are this successful. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

Happy you're finding NSVs already, that you're navigating your particular challenges gracefully. Good for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Focusedwave said:

I used to HATE bell peppers. Wouldn't eat them for anything. Wouldnt eat dishes that they were in, but now I have discovered that I love them roasted!! A little charred...yes please. 

That is so interesting! I've tried and tried and tried to like bell peppers. I feel like I SHOULD like them, yet when I make them, even fresh out of the garden, I don't like them. 

I'm going to try roasting them and see how that works out! Thanks for the idea! 

PS you're killing it, keep it up! I love all the NSVs you're seeing already! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, decker_bear said:

That is so interesting! I've tried and tried and tried to like bell peppers. I feel like I SHOULD like them, yet when I make them, even fresh out of the garden, I don't like them. 

I'm going to try roasting them and see how that works out! Thanks for the idea! 

PS you're killing it, keep it up! I love all the NSVs you're seeing already! 

Thank you so much! Yesterday I ended up stopping at the store to just to grab some peppers, I have NEVER EVER done that. I still dont like the green, only red, yellow and orange. I find their flavor to be milder and a little sweet, and only roasted will do :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, LadyM said:

I can't believe you work in a pizza shop and are this successful. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

Happy you're finding NSVs already, that you're navigating your particular challenges gracefully. Good for you!

I used to eat pizza every single day bit gave that up when I quit sugar and flour a year and a half ago. I switched to making almond flour tortilla pizzas when the craving would hit, but havent had one of those in 7 days :) Eating healthy fuels me, pizza weighed me down!

Edited by Focusedwave
I included journaling instead of just replying
Link to post
Share on other sites

R1D7

Today mark's the end of week one!! Already!!! I need to work on a plan for next week. I am loving looking at recipes. I need to get more fiber in to help my digestion. Ever since my gastric bypass I have had trouble being regular. I had been taking a fiber supplement powder prior to whole30, but it is wheat dextrin, so I need something else. I did find a tea that is all natural and compliant that seems to be helping and the healthy fruits and veggies are helping too. 

Being that I work 80 to 100 hours a week I dont know if I will notice tiger blood. I work a lot and on my days off I am completely exhausted. I am no spring chicken either. 47. But I have a lot of drive and I know that giving my body good healthy foods will only be that much better for me.

I ordered some mud water, cant wait to try that! Went from having 4 large dunkin donuts iced coffees full of sugar and dairy to now drinking black half caff, made at home but ready to cut my caffeine even more.

My mood swings weren't as bad yesterday. One day at a time I can do hard things! 

Almost off of nicotine as well. A month ago I gave up cigs and only vape now. Stepped down one nicotine level a few days ago. 

I used to neglect my health so much. I was an alcoholic who didnt care if I died, now I am sober almost 6 years and I want to live!!!

I love myself now and that is a beautiful beautiful thing!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Focusedwave said:

I love myself now and that is a beautiful beautiful thing!!

No truer words were ever written. BRAVO!! You really have transformed yourself in remarkable ways--and you just keep getting and doing better for yourself!

As for your regularity issues . . . have you ever tried a magnesium supplement? Changed my life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Focusedwave said:

Almost off of nicotine as well. A month ago I gave up cigs and only vape now. Stepped down one nicotine level a few days ago. 

 

Giving up nicotine is SO HARD! Good for you! I weaned off the same way, cigarettes to a vape and then lowered the nicotine. I vaped a non-nicotine for months because it was so hard to give up the habit. I finally had to give it up when my rent went up and my ex paid off his child support arrears all at the same time. I can only imagine how hard it would be doing it in the midst of a W30. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LadyM said:

No truer words were ever written. BRAVO!! You really have transformed yourself in remarkable ways--and you just keep getting and doing better for yourself!

As for your regularity issues . . . have you ever tried a magnesium supplement? Changed my life. 

I take magnesium supplements everyday. I think I have the issue probably because of the amount of iron I have to take due to the gastric bypass. I will just keep drinking lots of water and eating all my veggies. It is helping. :)

Is there a certain magnesium that you swear by?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, decker_bear said:

Giving up nicotine is SO HARD! Good for you! I weaned off the same way, cigarettes to a vape and then lowered the nicotine. I vaped a non-nicotine for months because it was so hard to give up the habit. I finally had to give it up when my rent went up and my ex paid off his child support arrears all at the same time. I can only imagine how hard it would be doing it in the midst of a W30. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! :wub:

Thank you SO much!! This is such a supportive site, you people get me!!!

No one around me eats the way I do. My husband is extremely supportive,  but he doesn't truly understand why I nearly danced a jig of glee when I found sugar free bacon!! Lol

Thank you for the support, I am grateful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
12 hours ago, Focusedwave said:

I take magnesium supplements everyday. I think I have the issue probably because of the amount of iron I have to take due to the gastric bypass. I will just keep drinking lots of water and eating all my veggies. It is helping. :)

Is there a certain magnesium that you swear by?

I've taken Biotics Research Mg-Zyme for YEARS, and you can order it on Amazon. I adjust my dosage as needed, ie the week before my period I need to nearly double my dose to stay regular. If I take too much I know because I have diarrhea in the morning. A lot of folks around here also swear by Natural Calm--but some of the varieties are not compliant, so be careful.

What kind of iron do you take? I also take Floradix, and thankfully, my levels are finally where they need to be.

Another thought: when I shifted to a whole foods diet for the first time nearly 15 years ago, that was the first time in my life I got constipated. I had to learn about the different kinds of fibers and how dramatically reducing the kind in starchy foods was the culprit. All the greens and cruciferous veggies in the world weren't helping, but adding sweet potato and winter squashes helped.

Take that for what it's worth. I wish you relief, though, because constipation is a real bummer, especially when it feels like it is coming from getting healthier!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I take mega foods blood builder iron. I have to take just about double the amount of most supplements because I dont absorb normally. I take two different magnesium supplements. Now foods magnesium citrate and Purely Holistic magnesium glycinate. 

I guess I would say that technically I am not constipated,  I do go once per day, but I know it could be better/easier. I am researching psyllium husk and acacia powder. I will also look into the products you suggested. I like that the floradix has a liquid supplement. I absorb liquid a lot better.

Thank you so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is R1D8. I got through the first week!!! NSV...I bought some new shoes in my regular size about a month ago, but they were snug. I kept wearing my old ones but tried them on again today, much better!! Did my feet lose weight? Lol 

Feeling less inflammation. Bloating is still there some. Loose plans for food this week, gonna prep a few things but I have a lot of things still from last week. Frozen cauliflower rice is a life saver with the hours I work.

I used to abuse my body so much. I didnt care what I ate, I was an alcoholic and smoked. I am becoming a health nut and I love it!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Focusedwave said:

Did my feet lose weight? Lol 

Heck yes!! Maybe not weight, per se, but of course they can lose swelling and bloating just like any other part of your body. I've had a few days when I felt like I was getting cankles so, yeah, it can totally be a thing. :wub:  It's funny you mention that, I noticed that a pair of my shoes I hadn't worn in a week felt looser today, too. Go you!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

R1D10 Feeling a little run down today. Got my mud water shipment 2 days ago. I love the taste and totally believe it will help me to kick the coffee habit. Wanna try zucchini boat tacos. 

I had a lot of energy yesterday, woke up feeling sluggish today. 

I am loving this though. Overall I feel great. My mind is clearer too! Just today, I can do hard things, just today :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 9/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, Focusedwave said:

I am researching psyllium husk and acacia powder. 

In my experience psyllium husk affects form more than movement, if you know what I mean. If you tend to have loose stools, it'll help you make poops you can be proud of--you know, those perfectly bulky "s" curves.

But if you're already going once a day I'd say try not to overthink it or create too many variable. Everything you're doing in terms of diet and lifestyle will likely help.

So happy you're feeling great today!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg the dishes!!! It seems like I am always doing dishes, but that means I am cooking, so it's good thing really!! I am thankful for the dishes.

Really trying to focus on the reasons I eat. Really wanted to step on the scale, but resisted. I don't need to think about the weight really. I need to think about the nsv and that's it. Don't really need to lose weight, it is so much more about my health, so why am I called by that darn scale? Luckily, the only scale we have is the Wii fit board and a scale at work. The Wii isn't even hooked up. The scale at work is pretty accessible since I am at work so much, but again, Shawna....it's not about the number silly woman!!! I will approach the scale like I do most things in my life...one day at a time!!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...