Flower Child - Vegetable Salad with Soybeans???

bronsondw2

Hello everyone,

2nd time doing Whole30; long time lurker; first time poster.  I'm baffled with a meal I ate out yesterday, and could use your opinion on WHY and WHAT to do.

I went to Flower Child (if I can't mention the name, please tell me), and ordered a "chopped vegetable salad".

From the menu board: "Organic Greens, Romaine, Avocado, Heirloom Carrot, Snap Pea, Radish, Baby Tomato, Toasted Sesame Seed, Ginger Miso Vinaigrette" -screenshot attached.  I googled to make sure snap peas and sesame seeds were compliant (yes), and asked for a different dressing assuming miso is non-compliant.  Their lemon avocado dressing is sugar free dairy free gluten free and vegan, and has no allergens (milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soybeans) listed on their website.

I second guessed the dressing when I got home last night, so went to check its ingredients.  It turned out to be clean; imagine my shock/anger when soybeans were listed on the allergens for THE SALAD!!!!

I have tried to contact the company, but have not received a response.  I will post here if I get anything, but meanwhile, I'd value your input:

1) There were definitely no beans in this salad; how/why could/would they have snuck soybeans in without listing it?

2) I know soybeans are a restart trigger; if you were me, what would you do?

Apologies for the long note - very much appreciate your thoughts.  Screenshots of the offending material attached (highlighted rows are my choices). 

FlowerChildSalad.PNG

FlowerChildSalad2.PNG

• Moderators

Ok, I thought it was likely just in the dressing, if you saw my reply before I looked again and realized even the without dressing line lists soybeans, in case you saw the unedited reply.

I have no idea what else might contain soy, unless they toasted the sesame seeds with soy sauce or something. You would've noticed edamame/fresh soy beans if they were included.

So, unfortunately your body doesn't know the difference between something you ate accidentally and something you ate on purpose, it reacts regardless. And none of us can say whether there was enough soy to mess up your elimination/ reintroduction. It is always up to you whether to restart or not, but if the restaurant can't say for sure that there wasn't soy in what you ate, I would encourage you to at least consider continuing on until you have the full 30 days 100% on plan. If that's just not doable for you this time around, that's understandable, and again, completely your decision. 

Thanks for the super fast response!  That's the way I was feeling too...just tack on some extra days at the end.  But boy, was that frustrating (and an eye opener!)  Hope I saved someone else some heartache; I'll update this post if I hear anything back from the restaurant.  Thanks again!

Hello, an update (and good news!)  I received the following in an email back from the company: 

"Thanks also for your great observation about the allergens listed for the Chopped Vegetable Salad! After consulting with our culinary team and our nutritionist, we determined that the listed soy allergy for the salad without dressing was, in fact, an error. The salad used to contain edamame on an older version of the menu, but no longer does. We are working right now on getting the website updated to reflect this."

Shannon, this seems spot on with your original hypothesis - but makes me breathe a lot easier!  Clock remains at 13 days...life is good :)

Thanks again!!

• 8 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, bronsondw2 said:

Hello everyone,

2nd time doing Whole30; long time lurker; first time poster.  I'm baffled with a meal I ate out yesterday, and could use your opinion on WHY and WHAT to do.

I went to Flower Child (if I can't mention the name, please tell me), and ordered a "chopped vegetable salad".

From the menu board: "Organic Greens, Romaine, Avocado, Heirloom Carrot, Snap Pea, Radish, Baby Tomato, Toasted Sesame Seed, Ginger Miso Vinaigrette" -screenshot attached.  I googled to make sure snap peas and sesame seeds were compliant (yes), and asked for a different dressing assuming miso is non-compliant.  Their lemon avocado dressing is sugar free dairy free gluten free and vegan, and has no allergens (milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soybeans) listed on their website.

I second guessed the dressing when I got home last night, so went to check its ingredients.  It turned out to be clean; imagine my shock/anger when soybeans were listed on the allergens for THE SALAD!!!!

I have tried to contact the company, but have not received a response.  I will post here if I get anything, but meanwhile, I'd value your input:

1) There were definitely no beans in this salad; how/why could/would they have snuck soybeans in without listing it?

2) I know soybeans are a restart trigger; if you were me, what would you do?

Apologies for the long note - very much appreciate your thoughts.  Screenshots of the offending material attached (highlighted rows are my choices). 

FlowerChildSalad.PNG

FlowerChildSalad2.PNG

So it says Salad (served with dressing).  If you subbed the dressing for something compliant, I think you are fine.

Archived