Type 1 diabetic wants to try whole30 for the first time

So I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was a small child. I want to try whole 30 but nervous if I end up having a low blood sugar and must resort to eating sugar to bring my sugars back to a safe level, I don’t want to go off plan. Normally I would drink a Yoo-hoo, Orange juice, or apple juice to bring me back to life quickly, but those are not compliant. Any type one diabetics out there that have found a food item that is compliant and also brings them back to a normal level quickly ? Spoke to my doctor and they are fine with me doing the diet but of course warned me to be prepared for lows since I’m changing my eating habit so drastically. They don’t know the rules of whole 30 so couldn’t give me much guidance. 

• Moderators

Fruit juice is fine to have. It's not recommended to just drink it by the glass for most people, but especially for this use, it is absolutely fine. (Check under fruit juice in the Can I Have list:  https://whole30.com/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/). If you were in an emergency situation, even having sugar is not the end of the world, although Yoo-hoo has dairy and soy, so that should be an absolute last resort if there's absolutely nothing else available. 

Archived