Sudden Hunger - What in the world?

M1 - boiled egg cut into quarters wrapped in 2 pieces of turkey lunchmeat 

1/2 cup acorn squash with 3 dried cranberries, 6 raisins, 1 T walnuts, 1/4 apple, and 1T coconut

kale baked with olive oil, salt, and pepper

M2 - 1/2 cup chicken salad on a bed of spring mix + kale, topped with 3 dried cranberries, 6 raisins, 1/4 apple, and homemade acv dressing

I finished lunch nice and full then two hours later I am really truly hungry. I could have eaten cardboard. I am eating macadamia nut.  

I started Whole30 officially 5 days ago but I started eating the protocol about 15 days ago yet not being real strict because I was trying to get all my ingredients together and prep food before I officially began. I haven't been hungry between meals except for the two occasions where I had to eat emergency food because my car broke down and some deliveries delayed me. Even when I hiked 8.5 miles I did not feel hungry like this. What in the world is happening to me?

• Moderators

First, some days we are just hungrier than other days, and there is nothing wrong with that. Stress, sleep, exercise, and hormones all can contribute to that.

Second, the meals you've listed here seem a little light. According to the meal template, you want a serving of protein at least the size of the palm of your hand -- that's length, width, and height -- or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is likely 3 or 4. So, one egg is probably a third of a serving of protein, and two pieces of turkey lunch meat is maybe a fourth or a third of a serving, depending on how thick it's cut. For that meal, add another egg or two, or more lunch meat, or a combination of the two.

How much chicken is in your half cup of chicken salad? Everyone makes chicken salad a little different, so it's hard to know how much protein is actually in that serving, but be sure there's truly a serving of chicken. Adding vegetables or mayo or grapes or whatever to chicken salad is great, but it can make it harder to tell how much chicken you're actually getting. 

Be sure you're getting a serving or two of fat in each meal as well. Vegetables are great, you need lots of them, but the fat and protein are what will really help keep you satisfied between meals.

I also wonder about your three dried cranberries and six raisins. You really don't need to count them. You don't want to overdo them, so don't necessarily throw whole handfuls in each meal, but three dried cranberries would honestly just make me sad. It's okay to just put some, without counting them.

Thanks, Shannon. I would put a whole handful of cranberries in if I didn't count them. :) I absolutely love fruit! I guess I got caught up in watching carbs so closely with Keto that I am a little nervous that I will go overboard with fruit. I do seem to have a hard time eating enough protein. Really, my digestive system has a hard time with it. I have been reading up on what could cause that. It seems that I have low stomach acid and I'm wondering if I am going to have to add digestive enzymes to my diet in order to get enough protein in my diet.

18 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

First, some days we are just hungrier than other days, and there is nothing wrong with that. Stress, sleep, exercise, and hormones all can contribute to that.

@ShannonM816 Do you think the reason I had a headache and was so tired this morning is because I didn't listen when my body said I was hungry? I had been getting up at 4:30 or 5 am, full of energy and ready to start my day then this morning I was exhausted and since my delivery was cancelled I just slept in. I didn't eat breakfast because I couldn't get up. Since I've had lunch I feel much better but I am still a little foggy-headed. I definitely ate enough meat but it was turkey breast so I may have to find a way to add some more fat into my diet, maybe the avocados that are sitting in the fridge.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Jennifer Jensen said:

Do you think the reason I had a headache and was so tired this morning is because I didn't listen when my body said I was hungry?

This makes sense. Also be sure you're drinking enough water, as headaches can also be from dehydration. 

Archived