Mama in need of a reset - starting late October

CGinDC

Hi everyone! I've done I think 4 Whole30s before, the last one maybe two years ago, once I had weaned my son (he's 3.5). My daughter is 18 months and we've had an enormously stressful year, even aside from the pandemic, and I've just gotten way off track with unhealthy eating habits. My body feels weak and tired, and I'm in desperate need of a reset.

Trying to do this with two young kids will be a challenge for sure. Is anyone else planning to start towards the end of October? My husband are out of town this weekend, then I want to spend next week doing some freezer meal prep so I'm not having to cook every day. Aiming to start the week of October 19.

Hi Mama!

I am a mom of 4 and pregnant with baby 5 due in April 2021. I am so sorry for your stressful year! I am starting October 26, which would make the 30 days end the day before Thanksgiving. Planning to have our thanksgiving foods use whole30 ingredients but not necessarily in the "spirit" of the whole30 (think rolls made with almond flour, etc). I am so happy to do this with you. How does that start date sound?

Katie

@CGinDCill be a support buddy.  I just started a round I have a house full of boys 18, 14, 11, 2 and a surprise on the way due in January.  The first time I ever did anything like the Whole30 was when I had a 2.5 yr old and an 8 month old and my husband had abandoned us four months earlier.  I had to do the diet to address severe health issues of my infant.  To say it was a stressful time in life was an understatement.  Looking it back being introduced to an anti-inflammatory elimination diet was one of the best Things to happen to me.  It gave me focus, energy, a renewed fight to do more than survive it all.  The first week was hard, I mean really hard.  I was thrown into it like boom here it is start now or don’t start at all.  I had no resources no plan no idea what I was getting into and certainly not support.  So I get the trying to do this with littles, but I assure you it can be done and it will make life sooooo much better.   My best advice is to journal and stay connected with other like minded folks either here on the forums or with friends who have done or are doing a whole 30.  Also assume nothing, read every label every time.  Welcome and I look forward to following your story.

I'm planning on starting Oct. 19th too!  I wanted to start sooner, but have a colonoscopy (50 yr old must do) this Thursday, so I had to wait until that was over with.  I've made a handful of soups over the past month and have been routinely freezing a quart or two per batch.  I've done a couple of Whole30s previously, but it's been a while.  I'm ready to get back on track.

@BabyBear so cool you are expecting number 5 too, congratulations! How was your first trimester? this one was the roughest for me by far, but I also don't have the usual outlets I've had in the past (socializing at school drop-off, barre3 classes, etc). So much nausea and rage and fatigue. Morning nausea still lingers (I'm 12+1 now) but everything else is way better.

@ChristyJ, yes I've done 3 and kind of 4 whole30s but only one that felt like I was really in control and didn't "cheat" with just having a bunch of whole30-compatible snacks all day. I'm so ready to dive in again, especially now that the food aversions are gone.

October 19 sounds great, I'm happy to start a week earlier, why not :)

4 hours ago, ChristyJ said:

I'm planning on starting Oct. 19th too!  I wanted to start sooner, but have a colonoscopy (50 yr old must do) this Thursday, so I had to wait until that was over with.  I've made a handful of soups over the past month and have been routinely freezing a quart or two per batch.  I've done a couple of Whole30s previously, but it's been a while.  I'm ready to get back on track.

I just cancelled a colonoscopy because I will be reintroducing foods at that time. 

Soup recipes, please. 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:28 PM, KTH1010 said:

@BabyBear so cool you are expecting number 5 too, congratulations! How was your first trimester? this one was the roughest for me by far, but I also don't have the usual outlets I've had in the past (socializing at school drop-off, barre3 classes, etc). So much nausea and rage and fatigue. Morning nausea still lingers (I'm 12+1 now) but everything else is way better.

Technically it’s my 4th, my 18DS is my bonus son.  Sadly, I didn’t have time to even think about being pregnant my first and most of my second trimester. Less than a week after finding out I was prego my husband broke his right humorous just above the elbow and sent our world into flat spin.  Exhausting, fighting through the nausea, and just trying to summon enough energy to keep everyone alive and the two business a float.  I will say this my first two pregnancy vs the last two have definitely been different especially in my body’s respond to the hormones.  I think maybe the 10+ years I have on me now has made the hormone changes a little less tolerable for my body.  My first two i was in my latter half of my 20’s I never had nausea or food aversions... can’t same the same for the the past two pregnancy which I have been 38 and 40.  However, the process as been so much more enjoyable, relaxed, less stress about not getting every little thing right.  I decided to get my whole game back on because I am approaching that third trimester stage where I can only eat 4-5 bites and I’m stuffed and not able to eat the rest of the day.  So I couldn’t make up for bad food choices in quantity so I decided I needed to focus on the quality. So here I am.  

Oh my gosh @BabyBear, I am so sorry that happened! I am so excited to start this whole30, I'm also hoping to get my husband on board too, he's had a lot of challenges with fatigue and GI stuff and migraines and I think this would help him a lot.

I am so glad to be on the other side of the crippling exhaustion and nausea and food aversions!

Day one here! First thing I've noticed is that breakfast was hard to get down. I have been really bad about making sure I'm eating breakfast lately - it wasn't an issue when pregnant or while breastfeeding because I was always starving when I got up. But it was hard to get that whole plate down. 

@ChristyJ and @KTH1010 did you both start today as well?

On 10/11/2020 at 5:32 PM, KTH1010 said:

Hi Mama!

I am a mom of 4 and pregnant with baby 5 due in April 2021. I am so sorry for your stressful year! I am starting October 26, which would make the 30 days end the day before Thanksgiving. Planning to have our thanksgiving foods use whole30 ingredients but not necessarily in the "spirit" of the whole30 (think rolls made with almond flour, etc). I am so happy to do this with you. How does that start date sound?

Katie

I am starting tomorrow, October 26th as well. Always good to have buddies. Xo

On 10/19/2020 at 10:56 AM, CGinDC said:

Day one here! First thing I've noticed is that breakfast was hard to get down. I have been really bad about making sure I'm eating breakfast lately - it wasn't an issue when pregnant or while breastfeeding because I was always starving when I got up. But it was hard to get that whole plate down. 

@ChristyJ and @KTH1010 did you both start today as well?

Sorry-I hadn't been on.  Yes, I started then too!  I'm doing well-hope you all are also!!

On 10/12/2020 at 2:36 AM, Jennifer Jensen said:

I just cancelled a colonoscopy because I will be reintroducing foods at that time. 

Soup recipes, please. 

A couple of my favorite soup recipes:  Dairy Free clam chowder on the Pretend It's a Donut website, Skinny Taste's chicken/kale/sweet potato soup, Fixate green's soup (TONS of veggies in that), and WholeSmiths' thai carrot soup

Archived