Primal Kitchen frozen meals - serving size

CGinDC

I just started my fifth Whole30 and was happy to see Primal Kitchen's frozen meals at my local market. I have two small kids (19 months and almost 4 years old) and life is...hectic. I've been a little worried about my ability to prep enough food with everything going on so I'm glad to have this on hand for those days that meal prep just isn't possible.

I noticed that each of them has a serving size of about 250-270 calories though. I know we're not supposed to pay attention to calories on the Whole30, and I usually don't, but this does not seem like enough calories for a meal that's supposed to keep you full for 4-6 hours. Any thoughts from the moderators?

• Moderators

I have not seen the actual meals (Canadian here) but you're right, I would have thought the same thing.  It brings to mind a discussion that was had surrounding the same concern on the Walmart Whole30 meals and the general consensus was that these are for emergencies... much the same as eating a couple Applegate hotdogs and roasted potatoes on a super busy day should be considered 'good enough', these would fall into that same category.  Also, nutrition is cummulative so if you've been eating template meals for a couple weeks and then one day you end up needing to press one of these frozen meals into service, it may not keep you as full as your own home cooking but it might just be good enough to stop you from going to a drive through or eating the leftover ice cream cake in the freezer (just silly examples).  if you were relying on these for every meal (or even a meal a day) for your entire program, you would likely need to eat more than one or supplement with extra veggies and maybe a fried egg.

Does that help?

• Moderators
23 hours ago, CGinDC said:

Update: I had one for lunch today and it's definitely not enough food, volume wise. Could work for a mini-meal or if you're supplementing with other food (like I did today, since I didn't have enough prepped for a full meal).

I think they're definitely more of an 'emergency food option' rather than a full meal... but still great to have on hand for those 'prepless' days! Thanks for the update, I'm sure it will help others with the same question.

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I think they're definitely more of an 'emergency food option' rather than a full meal... but still great to have on hand for those 'prepless' days! Thanks for the update, I'm sure it will help others with the same question.

Thanks for the info. I bought three of the Walmart Whole30 meals at the beginning of my Whole30 and I'm on Day 22 and have only used one. It was good and I was okay but I used it for a quick meal that had been delayed and only had to wait three hours until the next meal. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

I have not seen the actual meals (Canadian here) but you're right, I would have thought the same thing.  It brings to mind a discussion that was had surrounding the same concern on the Walmart Whole30 meals and the general consensus was that these are for emergencies... much the same as eating a couple Applegate hotdogs and roasted potatoes on a super busy day should be considered 'good enough', these would fall into that same category.  Also, nutrition is cummulative so if you've been eating template meals for a couple weeks and then one day you end up needing to press one of these frozen meals into service, it may not keep you as full as your own home cooking but it might just be good enough to stop you from going to a drive through or eating the leftover ice cream cake in the freezer (just silly examples).  if you were relying on these for every meal (or even a meal a day) for your entire program, you would likely need to eat more than one or supplement with extra veggies and maybe a fried egg.

Does that help?

Thank for this idea, this one somewhat applies to me. Thank you!

Archived