Noodle substitutes that soak up sauce?

moonbuggy

Yesterday I made a Thai curry for dinner and served it over pan-steamed julienned zucchini. It was great, except that the zucchini didn't soak up the sauce like traditional rice noodles would. I guess because zucchini is such a moist vegetable to start with. Kinda disappointing to eat and see all the delicious sauce stay in the bowl. Can you guys recommend a grain-free noodle substitute that soaks up sauce?

There really isn't one. Anything that isn't basically a spiralized veggie isn't going to be compliant. 

I do find that sauces tend to sort of cling to riced veg better than spiralized/julienned. It's one of those situations where you just want to go for eating a curry more like a soup and go at it with a spoon. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, kevinvholloman said:

my wife adds a little flour to the sauce and reheats it in a pan for 1-2 minutes, it turns out very tasty

Please familiarize yourself with the rules of the program, flour is not allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

There are cassava noodles but I haven't tried them yet and I am not sure if they would be compliant because they might fall under the same guidelines as breads and baked goods substitutes.  I like to use hearts of palm pasta but it doesn't soak things up.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Affinity said:

There are cassava noodles but I haven't tried them yet and I am not sure if they would be compliant because they might fall under the same guidelines as breads and baked goods substitutes.  I like to use hearts of palm pasta but it doesn't soak things up.

If you take a vegetable and cut it into a noodlecshape, it's fine. If you have to dry it to create a flour and then use that to make noodles, that's re-creating pasta and isn't really compatible with Whole30 rules.

Archived