Cauliflower

Mistie Gleason Cottrill

One of my all time favorites. I like it best roasted in the oven. Toss it in some coconut oil or some ghee and sprinkle on some salt (or garlic powder, or curry powder, or mexican spices). Roast in a 375 oven for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.

I also steam it and then mash it up like mashed potatoes. Spice with salt and pepper. The mash is even better if you make a mix of sweet potato/cauliflower or carrot/cauliflower.

It's yummy blanched and then pan fried in coconut oil and curry powder.

You can make cauliflower "rice" as well. We make a fried rice with it. Nom Nom Paleo has a pretty good recipe for that.

I have a recipe pinned on my whole 30 pinterest board for a cauliflower wrap that you could wrap around meat and veggies.

Lisa already mentioned the best uses for it! I wish we could switch issues. I am using (and loving) and overabundance of cauliflower, but I'm afraid I'm not getting enough of a variety of other great vegetables.

When you take the base of Cauliflower-Mash and Cauliflower-Rice, they can be applied to other recipes. Such as Well Fed's Shepherd's Pie (using mashed cauliflower) or use the "cauli-rice" as a bed for stir-fries and such. Cauliflower is a very easy go-to vegetable that can stand-in for most recipes that would normally use rice or potatoes.

I roasted a chicken the other night, and put cubed sweet potato, cauliflower, and unpeeled whole garlic cloves underneath it. I tossed the veggies with a little ghee so they wouldn't burn before the fat rendered out of the chicken, and salt and crushed red pepper. Once everything was done, I took the garlic out of the peels and tossed everything around. NOMNOMNOM so good. The sweet potato and cauliflower ended up caramelized and ridiculously delicious.

I'm obsessed with cauliflower rice! I add 1 tsp coconut oil to pan and cook a diced onion in it for a couple of minutes (over high heat). Then I add a head of raw riced cauliflower, mix it up, put a lid on, turn the heat to medium, and let it cook for 5-6 minutes....so good!!

Just have to give three cheers for all these ideas. At the beginning of this Paleo journey in October, I looked at the Well Fed recipe for mashed cauliflower and rolled my eyes. This poor Melissa character. She thinks mashed cauliflower tastes like mashed potatoes. I feel so sorry for her. This recipe sounds gross. I will never try it.

Then, of course, I actually tried it. And now I LOVE it. I almost always have a batch of mashed cauliflower in the fridge. It's become my new favorite go-to comfort food and a quick healthy supplement to whatever else I'm cooking.

Here's to changing tastes!

Cauliflower steaks! Johnny, that's brilliant!

DellaNova, I made it a goal to have at least one large serving (2 to 3 cups) of three different nutritional "varieties" of vegetables every day. The varieties are:

• Greens (nutrient-dense such as Kale or Collard; not lettuce)
  • Cruciferous (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc)
  • Deeply Colored (where the color goes all the way through, such as sweet peppers, carrots, beets, etc)

No double duty (if broccoli counts as a cruciferous, then it can't also be my "deeply colored" for the day). Generally I'm having large servings of four different vegetables every day.

My bigger goal is to obtain all my nutrients (except Vitamin D-3) from natural food sources. I took the three categories of vegetables from

(on youtube).

Terez

• 4 months later...

Here's a side dish that I really love. The recipe is from Yotam Ottolenghi and it's Saffron Cauliflower.

There's a delicious contrast of the sour taste from the green olives and a hint of sweetness from the sultanas.

And it's just as good as leftovers for breakfast the next day!

http://recipe-maniac.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/saffron-cauliflower.html

Archived