Every time I book a flight, the airline asks what my meal preference would be in the event I were to be upgraded to first class. Given that I spend about 8 hours a week on an airplane, this fantasy may soon become a reality. Unfortunately, there is no "Paleo" option... The choices are as follows:

• no preference
  • diabetic
  • gluten free
  • japanese meal
  • kosher
  • low cholesterol
  • low calorie
  • low fat
  • low sodium / no salt
  • muslim
  • vegetarian / non dairy
  • vegetarian / milk / eggs

Usually, I choose the diabetic option, because at least I'll know that the amount of sugar in the meal is taken into consideration.

What would you pick?

• 4 weeks later...

Singapore airlines has a non carb meal since recently (NCBHD) so hopefully this will make its way into other airlines as well! As for now, I would opt for gluten free. And I bring nuts, boiled eggs, jerky, avocado. The diabetic meals sound ok too.

Link to Singapore Airlines: http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/flying-with-us/specialmeals/

I'd be afraid the diabetic meal would have fake sugars that are considered safe for diabetics. Kind of like all the diabetic hard candies my grandmother would have in her house. I think I'd opt for the gluten free too.

I must ask - where do you find the place to put in preferences? Am I just missing it because I'm booking through an airline deals site or would I need to contact the airline?

I'd be afraid the diabetic meal would have fake sugars that are considered safe for diabetics. Kind of like all the diabetic hard candies my grandmother would have in her house. I think I'd opt for the gluten free too.

I must ask - where do you find the place to put in preferences? Am I just missing it because I'm booking through an airline deals site or would I need to contact the airline?

Good point on the fake sugars bit!

As far as booking the meals goes, it can happen that there is no option to choose a meal (indeed can happen with deal sites) but then just call the airline directly, i've done it often and is never a problem :-)

I always pack ahead for air travel, because I never know what might happen between flight delays, cancellations, unexpected layovers and varying options at the airports themselves. There is usually a concession where you can get something decent, but why chance it? It only takes a few minutes to pack a piece of tupperware with an avocado, a big chunk of turkey breast, some vegetables and maybe fruit. So much fresher than anything they can give you in flight, in my experience :)

I travel regularly between Switzerland and the US and I never eat plane food. I always bring my own. Usually I bring these egg muffins, fruit, pre-chopped veggies, nuts, homemade beef-jerky and hard boiled eggs. It may just be my imagination, but it certainly seems to have improved my jet lag and my post-flight digestion.

Diabetic meal options may not have added sugar, but they still have plenty of grains so I'd probably go for gluten free. They're usually not much better than ordinary meal options but at least you tend to get a piece of fruit instead of the obligatory wobbly jelly custardy dessert thingy :P

Archived