Like a (broken) record, baby, round, round, round, (not on) round...

Here she goes.... here she goes again....

Howdy peeps. I'm back. Again. Jeez I'm predictable. BUT this time is a bit different. It's not a round, it's not for set days, and it has slacker rules, so it's here in Post-Whole30. 

I finally got to see the Allergenist and had a really big chat. The long and short of it is that there's no testing to be done, I have intolerances and not allergies, anything that claims to test intolerance is a scam (and usually an expensive one), that she agrees I've exhausted pharmaceutical treatments for migraines, that W30 has definitely shown the vertigo/migraines are food related, and that my options are either to stay majority W30 forever, or to do a 'round', get to my baseline of no migraines then do month long reintros of food groups until I get an answer.

Few things she did say, and why this will be a modified W30 for me, is that:

• Because the migraines/vertigo are cumulative and not an immediate reaction to a trigger, I don't have to be 100% all the time, one day here and there won't flip me back to vertigo.
  • I will basically ignore all W30 recommendations - I guess more paleo though I'll still avoid the sweets - this is about making a lifelong plan for the way I eat so the additional pressure of eating X times a day, not snacking, not having something because it may be compliant but isn't in the spirit of W30 or is SWYPO etc isn't helpful for me at this stage (in fact she agrees (and warned) that this feeds into disordered eating and my all or nothing mindset).
  • In the past I've been a stickler for the avoid unless you can't oils, and she agrees that it's necessary at all - this opens up a lot of my possibilities for sauces, dressings, marinated veggies, etc - I have sundried tomatoes and marinated artichokes both with sunflower oil now. 
  • She said I can keep dairy! Basically, I eat so little of it anyway  that she doesn't think it is the trigger and she's confident I can keep it in. If I get to where the vertigo would usually go away and it hasn't, I might have to rethink, but cheese and the occasional sour cream (all the dairy I really eat) stays in for now.
  • She also said that avoiding sugar is a personal choice and not likely to be related to my migraines, but I want to avoid sweets because that's a whole other issue for me, so I will be ignoring small amounts of sugar in savoury foods i.e. in my jar of roasted peppers, where its the only non-compliant ingredient in sausage, smallgoods etc. The same for wine as an ingredient. 

Even this will be a challenge, because there's a lot of events coming up (I have a BBQ this weekend - I'm cooking and it will be compliant, work Xmas lunch on the 27th, Thanksgiving the day after - won't be at all compliant, then of course heading into Xmas...) but I need to make this a long term thing.

She's booked me with a dietician, but that's not until February, so I'm going it alone til then. I think I'll do my best between now and 1st week of Jan, do a proper W30 from 11 Jan 2021 (when I get back off holidays) and then I'll be strict on round when I see the dietician on 2 Feb and we can nut out what my reintro is going to look like. Of course, if I've got the vertigo under control by early Jan, I won't do a strict round.

But, I do need to keep a diary so the dietician knows what she's working with. it's going to be a bit weird because I'll have to note what non-W30 stuff is in each thing, I guess. Here goes!

Yesterday:

Meal 1: lettuce, baby spinach and rocket with marinated artichokes (ingredients unknown), Hoyts sundried tomatoes (contains sulfites), grilled lamb leg steak and lemon juice.

Meal 2: Red snapper with lemon garlic dill ghee, lettuce, baby spinach and rocket with marinated artichokes (ingredients unknown), Hoyts sundried tomatoes (contains sulfites). 

Drinks: water, coffee with Mac milk, soda water with lemon and lime juice

Snacks: raw cashews

Today:

Meal 1: Frittata of baby spinach and rocket with marinated eggplant (ingredients unknown), Hoyts sundried tomatoes (contains sulfites), roasted red pepper (contains sugar), 3 eggs.

Meal 2: Pork steaks on the BBQ, roasted cauliflower with a dijon, lemon, caper sauce, and seared asparagus.

Drinks: water, coffee with Mac milk, soda water with lemon and/or lime juice

So snacks yesterday ended up being a handful of raw cashews and some jalapeno stuffed olives.

I was so tired all day and then evening, but then couldn't sleep til after midnight. I had vertigo all day, but managed a TKD class, so that was good. Loving being back.

We have a friend over tonight so I'm doing kebabs on the BBQ - steak, mushroom, red onion and red capsicum in a marinade of coconut aminos, fish sauce, red pepper, garlic and oregano and the others are chicken kebabs with green capsicum, fresh pineapple and a balsamic marinade. The chicken is not compliant, as it is pre-marinated and has both soy and whey. I'm undecided as to whether I will have that or just steak. Will do a slaw, and some smashed garlic potatoes as a side.

Symptoms: Mild to moderate vertigo, not as bad as yesterday. Oral allergy is low. Headache mild, and I'm tired but not overly, considering bad night's sleep.

Meal 1: Some sort of white fish fillet (I have a variety in the freezer and the marker has rubbed off) with chimmichurri and a rocket, baby spinach, cucumber, sundried tomato, marinated artichoke salad.

Meal 2: Steak and chicken kebabs, slaw with creamy chimmichurri and smashed garlic potatoes

Drinks: Water, coffee with Mac milk, soda water with lemon and/or lime juice