Synthetic thyroid doses during Whole30

Summary: I have concerns about potentially needing to change my dose of thyroid medication

A few years back, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am very active, had not noticed weightgain, etc, but I had been very fatigued and my appetite had plummeted. My doctor was quick to do a blood test, and I have been on a very low dose of synthetic thyroid medication since (75mg of levothyroxine). The medication is very inexpensive, and I have never really questioned alternatives.

That said, I do understand the importance of keeping these hormones in balance. Specifically, if the dose is too high, this can be very detrimental to bone density as well as obvious things like sleep patterns. If hormones and metobolism changes accompany the diet shift during the whole30, am I putting myself at risk by continuing to take my medication? Has anyone else had this experience and needed to change dose/stop taking meds alltogether?

Sincerely,

Kristina

Kristina, I'm on a VERY low dose (25 mcg) and have not needed to change, I think my sister takes the same dose as you and during her Whole30 she did not need to change either.

I think the answer is to listen to your body. If you start feeling really wired and other symptoms your dose is too high, then call your doctor. If you feel fine then you probably are.

Thyroid treatment is very tricky and I believe oversimplified by the medical world in general. As far as alternatives, what you are taking is synthetic T4. Synthetic T3 (Cytomel) is also given to some people. It does not contain any other thyroid hormones. An alternative would be a dessicated thyroid hormone (I think they make it from pigs or some other livestock, can't quite remember), which contains all the thyroid hormones in their natural proportions (for that animal at least, the presumption is that humans need similar amounts). I think understanding which option (or combination of options) is better depends on exactly which of your thyroid hormones are out of whack, as determined by your bloodwork AND symptoms. Many doctors only test for TSH and use that number to determine their diagnosis (or lack of), essentially ignoring clinical symptoms and other possibilities (not all thyroid disorders will be reflected in TSH). Synthetic T4 is the kneejerk, default treatment, so while it MAY be the right approach, you'd be right to question alternatives.

Here's some reading for you: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Also I hope you're not taking 75mg (vs mcg)... ;) (huge difference!!! milligrams vs micrograms)

Regardless: well, 1) if you have any side effects try switching from generic levothyroxine to branded Synthroid. It is one of the biggest drugs for generic side effects/branded is well tolerated. Docs seem to be clueless but pharmacists seem to know I guess. Regardless it's an option. BTDT so thought I'd mention it.

2) you should be OK for 30 days and if you start feeling the over-thyroided jitters (tics, twitches, can't keep still...) you can break the tabs up and take half or even 3/4ths. My doc was always OK with me doing mild tweaks like that as long as I wasn't taking more than the Rx dose and kept coming in to have my levels checked. Worth asking if yours is ok with that.

I had been on 175 mcg of levothyroxine for five year before starting to eat paleo last year . I believe through food my meds reduced . They went down to 150 then now I'm on 125mcg and doing a whole 30 again . I understand now though also there is a lot more to thyroid treatment than just thyroxine and that the t3 needs looking at as well amongst other stuff I am still looking to find a doctor here where I live that wants to listen and take new ideas on board other than what they were taught . But yeah I think it is possible that your thyroid results may change as mine did .

• 2 weeks later...

I am on day 28 and have had thyroid issues for decades (Graves Disease). I am dong the AI protocol. The first week was hard but then I started to feel better, especially my fibro. Then around the end of the second week I started feeling badly. Not sleeping well, short of breath, racing pulse., etc. Went to the doctor (she recommended this diet for my fibro). They did some lung tests. I asked for a TSH test even though it was just tested in December and was normal then. Yep, my thyroid had kicked into overdrive and and I am hyper now. IF I sleep 5 hours at night I am thrilled! It will take a few weeks for the lower dose to bring it down.

I have found over the last 32 years that diet changes, weight changes, even seasons will change my thyroid.

Archived