Weight loss and exercise

Hi guys,

I am currently finishing up day 11 of my first whole30!

I will admit now I have cheated in ONE area....the dreaded scales. I stepped on them this morning and I am pretty much the same as when I started. I am 5'3 150lbs and am finding these last 10lbs very very stubborn. I know that I am only a third of the way through but I can't stop that niggling feeling in my mind. I want to be healthy and finish this journey, it is just hard not to think about weight and my expectations in that area!

I currently do Body Pump 3 times a week and a combat CV class 3 times a week, and have been doing for a long time now. Reading some of the comments on this forum, I have now thoroughly confused myself with the idea that working-out too much is counter-productive! Anyone able to offer some advice on this?

Secondly, regarding the fats on the Whole30...I think I am eating too much of it! An average day usually consists of:

Breakfast- 3 eggs scrambled in some ghee, and some smoked salmon

Lunch- A big leafy salad with 2 home-made scotch eggs from 'Well Fed', with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Dinner- Ground beef in a tomato based sauce with mashed cauliflower and green beans, cooked in ghee.

Snacks- random handfuls of coconut flakes throughout the day

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated!

Add the sweet potato and also some veggies with breakfast. This was hard for me. I throw frozen diced bell peppers and spinach in a pan while my eggs are cooking. Throw the eggs on top of them with some salsa. It's not always pretty, but I've gotten over my fear of ugly meals. Sometimes I have a bowl of mixed veggie soup as a side.

I am 5'0" and 145 lbs. I'm on day 7 and weighed myself too (the curiosity is too much!) I actually gained weight. I have been eating according to the plan and it is much easier than I thought with sugar cravings and missing dairy and bread. I guess I kind of expected a reward on the scale for my week of success with the eating.

I have noticed that I am super bloated, and I think that my body is in shock at this point. I think I am holding on to a lot of water, despite my only water/tea/some coffee. I feel like I am drinking so much more! Lot's of peeing too, but my face is puffy and my stomach feels larger. I'm thinking that by week 4 I should notice something in the weight department. For now, I'm just going to keep with the program and focus on the other reasons I started it. I really wanted to see if my energy levels increase- so far, I have caught a nasty cold so I really have no way of telling how "good" I feel since I have felt crappy all the time.

It's not always pretty, but I've gotten over my fear of ugly meals.

Love, love, love this. I keep containers of cooked cubed sweet potatoes, chopped carrots, shredded brussel sprouts and cabbage or kale and cooked meat or chicken in the fridge. I throw some of everything in the pan with some coconut oil, crack an egg or two on top and scramble everything together for breakfast. Ugly as sin but oh so tasty :wub:

I am 5'0" and 145 lbs. I'm on day 7 and weighed myself too (the curiosity is too much!) I actually gained weight. I have been eating according to the plan and it is much easier than I thought with sugar cravings and missing dairy and bread. I guess I kind of expected a reward on the scale for my week of success with the eating.

I have noticed that I am super bloated, and I think that my body is in shock at this point. I think I am holding on to a lot of water, despite my only water/tea/some coffee. I feel like I am drinking so much more! Lot's of peeing too, but my face is puffy and my stomach feels larger. I'm thinking that by week 4 I should notice something in the weight department. For now, I'm just going to keep with the program and focus on the other reasons I started it. I really wanted to see if my energy levels increase- so far, I have caught a nasty cold so I really have no way of telling how "good" I feel since I have felt crappy all the time.

Hi Jenny! Good job at keeping going with the Whole30! I get really disheartened when the scale doesn't reflect on your effort. I haven't weighed myself since my last post and I'm not going to until the 30 days are up. I am trying to focus on the things that I do feel changing! For example...I sleep like an absolute baby! Seriously, I have never slept so good. Also, I don't get hungry between meals which is amazing since I used to eat every couple of hours or so! My skin is starting to feel tighter if that is the right way to describe it! and it is also really smooth! Don't get me wrong, I am sooo hoping for some change on the scale at the end, but I am starting to realise that a number isn't the be all and end all.

Hi Jenny! Good job at keeping going with the Whole30! I get really disheartened when the scale doesn't reflect on your effort. I haven't weighed myself since my last post and I'm not going to until the 30 days are up. I am trying to focus on the things that I do feel changing! For example...I sleep like an absolute baby! Seriously, I have never slept so good. Also, I don't get hungry between meals which is amazing since I used to eat every couple of hours or so! My skin is starting to feel tighter if that is the right way to describe it! and it is also really smooth! Don't get me wrong, I am sooo hoping for some change on the scale at the end, but I am starting to realise that a number isn't the be all and end all.

LOVE. There's a reason we ask you to stay away from the scale. Your body is changing continuously throughout this process and all the scale's gonna do is make you doubt yourself. Stay strong!

I think it's all the excess veggies that are making me so bloated. I actually had the tape measure in my hand yesterday but knew I was bloated as ever and realized it would be an act of self-sabotage rather than easing curiosity. plus, you know if you discover your weight or inches has gone up you will eat less in terms of amount and fat content. It's so, so hard, I know! Hearing that everyone is having similar ups and downs as me makes me realize that we're all in this together. : )

• 1 year later...

If you have been doing the same exercise for a long time your body does get used to it.  Doing different classes targets different areas of the body so a good mix of classes and changing the programme around helps keep the body on its toes as well as avoiding boredom with same old routine.  eating enough to fuel the exercise is necessary as others have already addressed.

Archived