Question about forum vs social media.

LydiaJo

When I first joined Whole 30, this was the only place I needed to read and post. The forum doesn't seem to be very active. I try to not go down the social media rabbit hole so where would be the best place to keep up what the January reset?

Thanks for any and all help.

• Moderators

The forum has slower times during the year, but typically picks up around January 1, so there may be more activity here once people are actually starting their Whole30.

There was this Instagram post a while back about Whole30 coaches:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CI-8vRchBQ1/?igshid=zuihrykht0h5 -- many of these will not be free, but I think I saw some in the comments that were doing some free resources.

If you just want a daily bit of motivation, there are daily texts (not free):  https://whole30.com/text/whole30-daily-texts/

I know there are Whole30 groups on other social media, like Reddit, and even on some of the fitness tracker sites, but none of them are official and I don't really know how well they really follow the rules and recommendations of Whole30.

Universally forums have fallen out of favour. It's too bad because they have been a mainstay for me over the years for crowdsourced knowledge. I really miss the active W30 forum. I'm going to post here everyday because I dislike FB pages and don't find that as helpful - I hope a few people are doing likewise so we have a tiny community.

Hi I’m not on Facebook, etc. so I like the forums - last time I did Whole30 was 5 years ago and it was a very active group and super helpful. This time I first started posting with a group that started on January 4 even though I started on the 1st, but then someone started a January 1 forum. So I’ve been commenting on a few different forums and more are starting to participate. I think the issue is that some people start a new forum for every comment, instead of commenting on an existing forum. If you sort the forums by number of views or posts you can see the ones that are most active and then check out if the posts resonate with you! :D

• Moderators
On 1/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, Lorna from Canada said:

Universally forums have fallen out of favour. It's too bad because they have been a mainstay for me over the years for crowdsourced knowledge. I really miss the active W30 forum. I'm going to post here everyday because I dislike FB pages and don't find that as helpful - I hope a few people are doing likewise so we have a tiny community.

Hi Lorna!  Nice to see you here!

@ShannonM816 and I are still here so let us know if you need a hand with anything and I will start posting more as well, maybe that'll get a little juice flowing if a few of us are chatting on here!

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hi Lorna!  Nice to see you here!

@ShannonM816 and I are still here so let us know if you need a hand with anything and I will start posting more as well, maybe that'll get a little juice flowing if a few of us are chatting on here!

Hey Sugar! How's the coast? We're locked down hard in in Onterrible - man, this covid thing is rough!

I'm trying - thanks for joining in. :) 

That’s amazing  that you can get whole30 compliant things out of the house. I’m in UK and there isn’t anything really. We have lots of dairy free things available but they are often full of soy or sugar. I have found occasional things that are compliant but they tend to be quite expensive so I usually just start from scratch. Due to lockdown I haven’t actually eaten out at a restaurant since March anyway so I suppose there’s one benefit! 

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Hey Sugar! How's the coast? We're locked down hard in in Onterrible - man, this covid thing is rough!

We are doing okay... we're not fully locked down but we've got Provincial Health Order restrictions that are getting old fast (but 100% necessary and I support!). Quebec just got a curfew??!?  It's definitely a nutty time! I decided to join in on doing a Whole30 with you guys (I'll be a few days behind). I've been working from home almost exclusively since March... need something to shake things up and what better than a Whole30!

I make all my dressings and sauces from scratch because I hate spending the money on small amts of food AND I don't like all the additives they put in - even when they are compliant. Immersion blender mayonnaise is my best friend - I make it several times a week and add anything and everything to it. My mayonnaise is just egg and light olive oil so the base is suitable for experiment. This week alone I have made:

salad dressing for cole slaw - 1/2 cup mayo, juice of 1/2 an orange, tsp dijon, juice of 1/2 lime, a couple of heaping tsp of poppyseeds, s&p. If I don't want a creamy dressing, I use avocado oil instead of mayo which makes it perfect for 

salad dressing - 1/2 cup mayo, entire small ripe avocado, chopped cilantro, juice of 1/2 lime, s&p

dip - 1/2 cup mayo, 4 roasted garlic cloves (I roast whole heads of garlic - slice off the top, drizzle with oil, wrap in foil, pop into an oven for 40 minutes or so - very useful to have on hand), splash of wh wine vinegar, s&p)

dip - 1/2 cup mayo, quite a bit of compliant hot sauce, lemon juice, chopped parsley, s&p

bbq/ketchup sauce - in a saucepan i put 6 chopped dates with a 1/2 cup water and cook until soft. If I feel fancy, I put that through a sieve but mostly I just mush it with a fork and add a 5.5 oz tin of tomato paste, heaping tsp of garlic powder and onion powder, s&p and cook it for a bit.

I have learned to just play with the ingredients I have on hand. Experimenting is fun!

4 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

Are there easy dressings and sauces that you recommend? I hate to spend too much money on the remade stuff.

I make a yummy lemon tahini sauce and you can thin it out to turn it into dressing. 

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/tahini-sauce-recipe/

For great pre-made dressings and sauces, Primal Kitchen is having a Whole30 sale.  I can get some products locally, but I just tried the Caesar dressing and it is amazing! And sold out at my grocery store! Their product offerings have grown and  improved dramatically over the years. Delish!

A817A3F1-472A-45EE-883D-1D3E1F4B3892.jpeg

9 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Thanks for this link. Someone refered to this the other day and I didn't find a recipe. Will try it!

Yes it was me...I posted it in the other forum with pics of the two meals I used it for. Shrimp with cauliflower rice and chicken lettuce wraps. As you say, I put that sh*t on everything! LOL hope you enjoy it! 

Archived