January 1st Start Date!

becs

Happy Day 3!

I'd love to find a group of people who started on January 1 and are interested in keeping a thread going here for accountability, check-ins, etc. I see a bunch of people who started on the 1st, but there are a jumble of random threads. I thought it would be nice to have a general January 1 thread. Anyone interested? I'm doing this on my own in "real" life, so I would love to find some virtual buddies!

Quick intro: I'm 45 as of last week, married, no kids, one 6YO Vizsla puppy (who I treat like a kid), and I think this is my fourth Whole30 since 2015. I am the heaviest I've ever been in my life, thanks to using COVID as an excuse to indulge in whatever the hell I felt like eating and drinking (compounded by sliding into perimenopause mid-year), and I want my 2019 groove back! My January Whole30 in 2019 was awesome, and it set me up for a year+ of healthy eating and habits before I let it all go. I also want to get back into CrossFit once I feel comfortable (weight-wise and COVID-wise) going back to the gym. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - I started January 1 too, so I’m happy to join you here!  I have completed a few Whole 30s (maybe from 2013-2015) and then had a few years of overeating and weight gain. I have been gluten-free and dairy-free since 2017, however, I have found that gluten-free junk food and treats are also “no-brakes” foods. Hopefully it will be easier as I don’t have to get over the gluten or dairy cravings - plus the “whole 30 approved”  prepared foods like dressings, are SO much better than they were a few years ago. My husband is a foot taller than me and can eat whatever he wants :angry: but fortunately will eat anything I put in front of him and then snack if he’s still hungry. Plus he’s a good cook and will follow the rules if he cooks. No kids or pets....only have to worry about filling the bird feeders in the backyard. :D Good luck...we got this! 

Awesome! My husband is the same way with food - he'll usually just eat whatever I make, and if he doesn't like it he'll do his own thing (more left-overs for me!). I just tried one of the Primal Paleo W30-approved dressings the other day, and it's so good!

I am dragging my feet on meal-prep today. I also just ate my first meal of the day and can't believe it's already noon! A lazy Sunday afternoon of cooking sounds nice, though

I’ll join you! I am in the Uk, I’m married and have 3 children. l started my 2nd whole30 on 1st Jan. I did my first in July after what we refer to as “the all inclusive lockdown cruise” in our house! I loved it and lost 11lbs and just felt so amazing. I then remained sugar, dairy, grain and soy free until Christmas (160 days!) although I did reintroduce wine and a few other bits (additives/preservatives rather than food, eg I’d have some dried fruit, or an occasional stock cube) and over Christmas I have had maybe 3 days where I ate a bit of chocolate/Christmas cake. 

I Had Covid in November and it really knocked me sideways. I have felt exhausted and worn out ever since, and I want the tiger blood back, so I’m doing a back to basics whole30 this month. 

I live in the UK, whole30 is not so well known here and we can’t get a lot of the American brands so it’s a bit of a trial and error thing. I tend to cook everything from scratch, but I love cooking anyway. I am a runner and really into my fitness, I do around 25 miles a week and a few outdoor classes, and yoga (almost every day) 

I’m interested, if you’ll have me!  This is my first Whole30 and I started January 1st. Everything is going smoothly for me. 
I live alone. Well, not exactly, but my roomies are the four-footed variety. 
I began to prepare by sort of a transition between Christmas and New Years so I don’t feel terribly deprived. I got to eat my peanut brittle, Christmas cookies and one of the chocolate dipped strawberries before handing them off to a neighbor. 
im grateful for soup weather and an afternoon with a big bowl of steamy veggie soup. 

It’s 8.30 pm here and I just made my lunch for tomorrow as it’s back to school/work for us here! So we had roast chicken tonight and I cooked extra, plus I also roasted an extra tray of sweet potato wedges. I used leftover cooked chicken and made a salad mix so: Raw red onion, celery, chopped chicken, green  grapes, chopped nuts, and some homemade whole30 mayo. Mix it all together (a bit like coleslaw?) and then in a pot I have a layer of salad leaves, a layer of sweet potato wedges, a bit spoonful of my chicken salad, then a layer of cucumber slices and a layer of tomato slices. 
Breakfast  will be a boiled egg and coffee, pre run snack will be banana and cashew nuts. Dinner tomorrow will be...not sure, I am working late so maybe James will cook something or maybe when I get home I will do something simple like chicken, veg and baked potato. 

Hello, Rebecca and Cookeez! Glad you are joining us!

Rebecca - the UK is very close to my heart. I did a semester of university there in 1996 (one month in London, followed by the fall semester at U of Essex), then moved back for six months in 1999 on a work exchange program. I lived in Bayswater in London and worked as a receptionist for a law firm on Baker Street, and I still miss it to this day! I haven't been back for a visit since 2003. Hoping to go back with my mom and sister in the next year or two. 

Got most of my meal prep done yesterday, so I feel pretty set for the coming week. I am dreading going back to work today - January is going to be a busy month! I work for a real estate developer, and we have four loan closings happening this month along with all of the other beginning-of-the-year tasks. My cravings hit when I'm feeling anxious, and work stress is a big trigger, but I am prepared to get through this day. One day at a time, right?

Happy Monday! Here’s my breakfast, I guess I should call it green eggs and more green (avocado). :D Eggs scrambled with fresh mushrooms, onion and leftover roasted broccoli from Saturday’s dinner. And a perfect avocado....who else gets excited when there is nothing to cut out or scrape off on the inside? It’s going to be a great day....here’s to a great week! 

AAEDED7B-AFDA-42EE-B940-248CBEB04BEF.jpeg

Love an avocado! I hated them before doing this last time but I grew to love them. 
I work in a school admin office and today was horrible. We have only been back 1 day and it looks like tonight we will go back into lockdown here. So I came home and opened the fridge and for a moment I was tempted by the Easy goodies but NO! 
ok so it’s the same I had at lunch but I got salad, chicken/grapes/celery/onion slaw, 2 HB eggs and some nuts + pint of water. Thank goodness for my weekend Prep! 
I ran 6km today at lunch and will do yoga later after Boris Johnson gives his speech 

image.jpg

I love avocados! Grew up having a tree where we could pick them fresh and had two crops. Boy do I miss that convenience, but now I am blessed with four pomegranate trees and a very productive fig tree. 
I definitely celebrate when I open an avocado up and it’s all good. 
Day four went well. How much longer before the cravings go away? :rolleyes:

@christine19 unfortunately we did get full national lockdown again. I am so determined not to let this slide though, more so than ever I need to be super healthy! 

the cravings I find do subside quite quickly. Make sure you are eating enough fat, and also add some salt to your food as it can help a lot if you are getting carb-flu/detox headaches. 

@Rebecca001 I just saw your lockdown on the morning news...time difference! I hope you are able to stock up on some canned and frozen food. When things were bad here and I wasn’t going out to get fresh vegetables - I stocked up on a lot of frozen cauliflower rice mixes. I still have plenty in my freezer which is perfect for Whole30. I was desperate for soup one day and cooked a bag of cauliflower rice in chicken broth and added some leftover chicken. It came out great, so I’m going to do it again when I finish up some of the food I’ve prepared. Fresh vegetables are still an issue here...I find I need to prepare them right away they spoil quickly. 

@Cookeez I agree with Rebecca, the cravings will subside but do eat if you’re hungry. I don’t worry about portion control the first week as I get adjusted and then naturally my appetite subsides. Sometimes the cravings come back though, depending on what you were eating pre Whole 30. Eat an avocado! :D

We managed ok last time after the initial panic buying subsided. I hope the same will apply this time although of course we have Brexit to contend with too, so fresh produce may be limited a bit. It’s not exactly growing season here in the uk, it’s very cold. 
My go-to canned staples are mackerel in olive oil, I eat a can most days (they are just fish, oil, and salt). I freeze a lot of meals so I have things in the freezer but I’m really hoping people don’t panic but this time as it was horrible having to queue and empty shelves last time.

tonight I’m making a Moroccan tagine with lamb meatballs, it’s not a whole30 recipe but I am going to tweak it a bit to fit the plan. Last night I slept much better, and today is the first day I’ve felt that little flicker of energy in me, considering work was horrible and everyone is eating biscuits and choc to get through the day, I’m sipping my green tea like an angel! 

omg that looks so good! I love shrimp!

I am 38 and this is my 4th whole30. I started Jan 1 too, and my favorite thing about the whole30 is that the tiger blood kicks in for me almost immediately (in the first 2-3 days) which is such a huge help as I am a busy full-time mom to 4 kids (ages 1-9)  with one on the way due this spring. I do need to focus on more balanced meals and less snacking, as I do get lazy with the template especially between breakfast and dinner. 

How is everyone feeling?

@KTH1010 I’m a bit like you, I find I never get my workout snack and lunch properly sorted, I’ll have occasional good days but never consistently do it. 
I’m now working from home due to national lockdown for 7 weeks so I think I will make a packed lunch each day when I prep for the children’s lunch boxes and then have nothing else. I graze when I am bored unfortunately. 

Exercise is such a normal thing for me that I just do it without thinking about it really. I run 5x a week and do a few Outdoor classes (these have now been cancelled but will be online). I find this way of eating so natural with my workouts, the increased protein really helps with energy. my only complaint with w30 is that it doesn’t help me sleep brilliantly, partly because I don’t get as tired I think 

@Rebecca001wow that looks so good! Yes, insomnia has been a huge issue for me since childhood. Can not seem to get on top of it. And now while pregnant it's much worse, as I get hormonal insomnia with pregnancy too. But if I go to bed early enough I manage ok. And the whole30 makes me feel so good it doesn't seem to matter.

A big discovery for me has been roasted slices of sweet potato that goes with any meal. Also spaghetti squash and homemade marinara sauce with chunks of tomato. 
Thanks for the fat and salt suggestion. I’ve got my avocados on hand. Day 5 success!

Archived