January 1st Start Date!

Really can’t believe the month is nearly over and tomorrow is Day 30! We really rocked January and kicked the new year off with a bang!  That said, the last few days I haven’t felt so great, lower energy, mentally a little down. Could be the weather too it was a balmy 7 degrees early this morning and very windy when I went to get my blood work. And more snow coming next week...ugh. Feeling better with a fire going and dinner will be chicken sausage and pork sausage with peppers and onions, over, you guessed it spaghetti squash! I think I made 5 this month! 

Still undecided on introducing alcohol, I think I will decide after weigh-in. Maybe ready to push on to a Whole60! :rolleyes:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading all of your posts, I'm realizing that the only things I REALLY miss in daily life are sugary coffee creamer (which I don't plan on adding back in!) and wine. I like a good cheese, but I don't

A nice simple dinner for me tonight- line a tea with spinach and kale, add pieces of fish (I had smoked cod) asparagus and cherry tomatoes, slices of lemon and seasoning cover with foil and then it so

HUGE NSV! It's one thing to resist cravings, but it's a whole other level of awesome not to have them in the first place, especially in times of stress. Love it! @Saiee The thing about zucchini n

Posted Images

I cannot believe that we are at the end of day 29 already! It really has sailed by for me. I am already looking forward to starting again on Monday. I got SO much out of this W30 but there's still more pain in my heel than I like and I am optimistic that a few more weeks might keep the inflammation down long enough to let it heal. I've been so jealous listening to you all talk about your running. I am a marathoner (runner for 25 years) who developed severe nerve damage in my foot at age 55. Surgery in 2016 repaired the nerve damage but changed my foot structure dramatically and went on the cause so many other problems - can't even list them all. I have a great Physio and chiropodist and massage therapist but, in the end, my first W30 made the most amazing in roads on healing. When I developed a heel spur and secondary plantar fasciitis last year, I thought it might work magic again :) So far, it has helped - the pain is reduced considerably but I am wondering if another round of W30 would help so I'm going to try it. Now in my 60s, I would like to return to running and, when I hear you guys talk so casually about "going for a run" my heart aches a little. So - heading into #2 as planned. In the meantime, the results this time are: 

• no S.A.D. - I hate winter too @Rebecca001 and, I live in Canada where we get the real deal. I usually travel to my home in Australia to avoid it so, this year, with that off the table thanks to our friend covid, I was really worried that my winter depression would be the worst ever. Nope - W30 has worked utter magic there. Not so much as a peep from my black dog. That is brilliant.
  • no anxiety. I have no reason to be anxious ever - I have the most amazing life - but I suffer from GAD and it can be overwhelming. Like a tidal wave of worry seeping into my cells and creating such unnecessary stress - it's just an awful, awful feeling. And, it's gone. The thing Hubs says he notices the most with this W30 is my lively mood. I genuinely feel happy and stress free which is such an amazing thing!
  • a return to deep sleeps - I was beginning to dread going to bed at night because I knew how often I'd wake up in a heightened anxiety state and be unable to sleep. I started taking a prescription sleep aid one night every 10 days or so just to treat myself to a deep sleep. I am so glad that this W30 is the same as my others and that beautiful deep sleep and all those crazy REM sleep dreams came back. Not ready to ever give that up.
  • I know I've lost weight - I feel like I'm deflating. I don't weigh myself so I won't know how much but I can guess. My face is thin, my rings are loose, even my underwear fit better.
  • I feel in control again. All the injuries and pain and menopause have been hard. Losing my mom and dealing with my wild, unexpected grief was hard. Covid, obviously, has been hard. This round of W30 has given me something back in the most effective way and I am so grateful.

Okay - that's it - I just wanted to put that down somewhere. One more day - let's finish this round STRONG!

Day 30!!!!!!!! I love your list @Lorna from Canada. I’m going to do mine in my notebook this afternoon but I can agree with a lot of your NSVs. 
mine include: my skin is so soft, sleeping much better quality sleep (not necessarily longer hours), I’m feeling really trim (especially in the mornings). I’ve noticed reduction in my anxiety too, like you said. Less worrying. It’s been a really stressful month and I’ve coped with it and not turned to food/wine. I’ve got busy with projects in my spare time rather than veg out exhausted, and just ‘got stuff done’. I’ve had a month off Facebook too. 

it struck a chord with me last night, my sister in law posted a picture on our family chat of a bottle of wine, bottle of gin, huge bags of Doritos and loads of chocolate saying ‘I’ve had a stressful day and this is my treat’ and all the family sent laughing emojis and ‘good for you, you’ve earned it’ comments and I felt so far removed from that, sipping my water! The irony is, they think I’m punishing myself doing this. I felt really sad for her because I know she’ll feel 10 times worse today.

I’ll never ‘unknow’ this knowledge that we learn doing W30. I can’t promise I’ll always do it, but I’ll never not know it. we have the answer that I think so many people are looking for, and that actually I myself have looked for for so many years. I read on another thread that’s it’s basically about giving yourself permission to make this massive positive change, and once you do (truly) permit yourself to do it, it’s properly lifechanging. I think this second w30 has really consolidated that for me, and I really get ‘choose your hard’ this time round because oh boy, it’s been harder this time than the halcyon days of summer in lockdown. 

anyway enough ramblings... my kitten needs her breakfast!! Have a great Day 30 everyone!!! 

Well, here we are! I feel like the last two weeks especially just flew by. I love the NSVs, @Lorna from Canada and @Rebecca001. My biggest one this time around is also the major reduction in anxiety. I don't know if I have full-blown GAD (though I often feel like I do), but it can get pretty bad/debilitating. The change this month has been magical, even more so because work has been out of control, and I'm actually able to deal with it calmly. It's amazing not to lie awake for hours stressing out about who-knows-what.

@Lorna from CanadaI'm so sorry to hear about your foot/running issues! I know you've mentioned your foot issues before, but I didn't realize you were trying to get back to running. On the plus side, that sounds like one hell of a positive motivator/"why" to help you stay the course. I'm rooting for you!

Woot woot Day 30! Have Well Fed pork carnitas bubbling on the stove and sweet potatoes in the oven. Feeling better today, got a much needed haircut...these pandemic days, haircuts are few and far between! Excited for the (fingers crossed) scale victory tomorrow, but one of my more noticeable NSVs is able to get back to sleep quickly when I wake up in the middle of the night (which is often, especially during Whole30 getting all the water out!) And I feel more refreshed when I wake up, not dragging to get coffee, and not my usual mid-day slump in energy. And definitely less hungry which is wonderful, when I had to fast to get bloodwork on Friday it was easy.

11 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

it struck a chord with me last night, my sister in law posted a picture on our family chat of a bottle of wine, bottle of gin, huge bags of Doritos and loads of chocolate saying ‘I’ve had a stressful day and this is my treat’ and all the family sent laughing emojis and ‘good for you, you’ve earned it’ comments and I felt so far removed from that, sipping my water! The irony is, they think I’m punishing myself doing this.

Totally understand this, it’s hard when everyone’s “treats” make you feel like crap! But good for you, you’ve earned this Whole30 and the way you are feeling! I remember we all said earlier this month - people are weird about food! That will never change, but WE can change! 

13 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

they think I’m punishing myself doing this

Amen. I get the eye rolling ALL the time. This has been my easiest W30 so far because I haven't eaten a single meal with anyone other than Hubs and, twice, my daughter who has done 3 W30s as well. We are very good at not proselytizing but others aren't so good about releasing their judgement of our choices!

5 hours ago, becs said:

My biggest one this time around is also the major reduction in anxiety. I don't know if I have full-blown GAD (though I often feel like I do), but it can get pretty bad/debilitating. The change this month has been magical...

What a great result for all of us anxiety prone peeps! 

SO - this is it! We've got Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua pulled pork in the pressure cooker with kale slaw and oven fries for dinner in an hour and then 'date' night binging Schitt's Creek. What a great start to 2021!

Oh my gosh, I fell off the radar!

I am also gonna go for a second round, I am actually on day 31 today (started last day of December) and broke my w30 fast with rice and instantly felt like garbage. Maybe it was mostly emotional, but my stomach isn't happy. I just do best when I eat whole30. Unlike @Lorna from Canada , I actually am going to be MORE strict this second round -- I was not totally compliant with meal templates etc, and relied way too much on snacking, which is not the end of the world, but I feel more ready now than I did a month ago to just dive in to the whole thing 100%.

I'll use tomorrow as a planning day and start Feb 1.

Let's do this @KTH1010! I'm going to be pretty strict - more strict on limiting fruit (I got better at that as the days went on this time) and nuts while increasing veg. I've decided not to have wine on my day between and just start tomorrow. I'll make decisions about the SWYPO factor as it arises!! See ya around!

Day 31! 
we made it! I really don’t want the bubble to burst so I haven’t weighed myself (big deal for me as you all know) and I’m not going to change anything until next weekend anyway. I’ve really enjoyed this 2nd W30, totally different to my last and it’s challenged me in so many different ways. Last time was all about food; this time it’s a lot about behaviour and I don’t think I’m quite “there” yet. 

@KTH1010 and @Lorna from Canadai like those small charges you’ve identified, they ring true for me too. This last week I’ve had far fewer nuts and feel so much brighter without them, and I think I snack on fruit because it’s there. So I’m going to make that my goal for Feb too and do some “work” around my fruit/nut and potato intake! In my first week of jan, I set myself a target of 50 portions of veg in the week, and I certainly noticed I was eating much more, so I will try that again this week. 

Thank you to all of you who’ve shared in this little journey, you’ve been a lifeline to me! 

6 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

50 portions of veg in the week

Such a good goal! I'm going to join you on that. I love veggies but, in Canada in January/February, they are generally flown in from Mexico or South America, gassed up (Modified Atmosphere Packaging or MAP if you're super fancy) to stay fresh which effects both taste and texture so, cooking is the only way to make anything palatable to my snob taste buds. I don't eat many fresh salads in the winter :(. I think that's why I overdo it on fruit - it's more tasty even when it's be MAPped for transport and it's easier than cooking yet another pan of roots. But, I like a challenge and 7 veg/3 fruit for the 10 a day seems reasonable to me. 

Onward...

Day 31 is here!!!

@Rebecca001Awesome job not getting on that scale if you're not ready! I did get on the scale this morning, which was in large part driven by the fact that I'm a data geek, and can't stand the thought of not logging my Day 31 changes. On January 1st, I was at the heaviest I've ever been in my life, and as I mentioned before my body is (pretty suddenly) stubborn about dropping weight. I was pleasantly surprised by the number! While I still have a ways to go, it's a great start.

My focus in February will be to continue with W30 + reintros once a week (legumes today), and to really work on mindfulness around food. I resolve to STOP eating lunch at my desk, eat all meals at the table, and really pay attention to all of my senses as I eat the delicious food I prepare for myself. I have a tendency to hoover my meals at an alarming rate. I blame it on being one of five kids - leftovers were limited at meals, and the first to finish was the first to get another helping! I could never beat out my brother, but I was usually the second kid back in the kitchen for more. BUT, growth mindset and all, just because I've done something my whole life doesn't mean I can't change my ways now.

7 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

Thank you to all of you who’ve shared in this little journey, you’ve been a lifeline to me! 

Ditto! You guys are awesome. I'm moving on to the maintenance thread. I hope you all stick around for more!

@Lorna from Canadait must be hard with no fresh produce. We are lucky in Britain that we have it in abundance all year round (although it is imported a lot) - and it is expensive, especially in comparison to junk food. Can you have canned veg in W30? I guess if it’s compliant? Or frozen too if that’s available for you? I think 50 a week is both challenging but attainable. 7 a day. It makes me think a bit harder about what I have on my plate. 

Well hello everyone and today it is Feb. 1. I am going to continue with a modified version of Whole30 but I will definitely do this reintroduction properly. I, of course, had to weigh myself and measure my waist. So I did lose some inches, which is great, now is the time to rely on working out so I can get toned up.  I don’t want to lose anymore weight so I have the added bonus of just eating til I am full. With that being said, the thing I really learned is that nightshade veggies affect me and rotating food is so important.  I think that for me it is unrealistic to think that I will never have a white potato again or eggplant or even tomatoes for the rest of my life. I will have to figure out just how often I can safely eat those wonderful veggies.  Good luck to everyone! I really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and it really helped me to stay on course.

Cheers to everyone around the world!!