January 1st Start Date!

becs

I love sweet potato, especially cold for some reason! This morning I have had 2 slices of Parma ham, half an avocado and a banana, and 2 black coffees. I was having almond milk in my drinks but it Gives a bit of a sour taste so I’ve decided to go black and it’s much nicer. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting hungry looking at all these pics! The last two work days have been hard - 11-hour days bouncing around between too many looming deadlines. BUT, I managed three full meals both days, and even carved out 30 minutes last night to cook spaghetti, most of which is going in the freezer. Thank god for meal prep on days like these.

I find it very strange that I haven't had any real cravings yet. I definitely had them on my other Whole30s, but not so far this time. I keep wondering when they'll show up (not that I'm complaining). My eating habits going into this one included a lot of days where I skipped breakfast and dinner, then binged on junk and booze in the evenings. Maybe the regular meals are making my body so happy that it doesn't have time for carb cravings?

On to day 6 - hope everyone has a great day!

1 hour ago, becs said:

I find it very strange that I haven't had any real cravings yet.

Me neither - like none! Do you think our brains are going, "oh yes, I remember this?" and are letting us off the hook? I miss wine at night but don't crave it. I was mashing through daily 1000 kcal bags of Sour Patch Kids not too many weeks ago - sugar dragon seems at ease with it all. Strange but thank you!!

Great NSV making spaghetti after a loooong work day! I've been easing back into work this week after a couple of weeks off and it's been a good plan. Next week will be the test.

Onward indeed!

On 1/3/2021 at 1:10 PM, becs said:

Happy Day 3!

I'd love to find a group of people who started on January 1 and are interested in keeping a thread going here for accountability, check-ins, etc. I see a bunch of people who started on the 1st, but there are a jumble of random threads. I thought it would be nice to have a general January 1 thread. Anyone interested? I'm doing this on my own in "real" life, so I would love to find some virtual buddies!

Quick intro: I'm 45 as of last week, married, no kids, one 6YO Vizsla puppy (who I treat like a kid), and I think this is my fourth Whole30 since 2015. I am the heaviest I've ever been in my life, thanks to using COVID as an excuse to indulge in whatever the hell I felt like eating and drinking (compounded by sliding into perimenopause mid-year), and I want my 2019 groove back! My January Whole30 in 2019 was awesome, and it set me up for a year+ of healthy eating and habits before I let it all go. I also want to get back into CrossFit once I feel comfortable (weight-wise and COVID-wise) going back to the gym. 

Also - all of this... we had a Vizsla years ago - lovely doggos. We called ours the vizslobber - he was a bit of a drooler :)

Tonight I made Moroccan meatballs and spicy tomatoey sauce, forgot to take a picture as I was soooo hungry! I worked til 1pm, then went for a long run (12kms/8.5 miles) and felt really good! Really enjoying the clear head and energetic feeling! I’m not craving either really, although I could EAT - I think that’s just the effect of stopping the snacking. I do eat a lot of calories because I run so much, so being led by my appetite does mean I can put away a big meal! 

@Lorna from Canada I'm wondering the same thing about my body "remembering" the process - sounds good to me! We're on our second Vizsla. They are such amazing dogs. My husband is a bird-hunter, and they love retrieving dove for him out of the corn and cotton fields. They're also the best running buddies I could ask for.

@Rebecca001 Your meals all sound so delicious! I think I need to find some good Moroccan dishes (and Indian, and Thai, and... all the flavors!). Nice job on the long run. I'm dipping my toes back into running after many years away, and my long run is only at 4 miles so far. I forgot how much I love it! It's a god-send for my mood. I didn't get out there this morning, and I'm a little cranky about it.

So is this the place to be?  :) I would love to join this thread, if you are up for it. I am a little late to the party, but I started the program on Jan. 1 so I am 6 days in. I am still a little bloated but hanging in there. I have done this before, and i find the reintroduction the hardest part because I am bored with my cooking after 30 days, but since I, or anyone else , don’t have a social life, I find this Whole30 easier. (I won’t be tempted with wine or non-complicated food). So keep going everyone!

Welcome @50andstillhere :) It’s day 7....woohoo we made it! I finally slept well, the best since I started. I am out of fresh produce, but thinking of getting a spaghetti squash as I defrosted a brick of grass-fed ground beef. I like meat sauce over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. I’ve tried frozen zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash but they are very mushy.

Seems like everyone likes cauliflower rice, my favorite brand is Cascadian Farms Organic, not sure if you have that by you @Rebecca001 but my favorite is this one with stir fry vegetables and it tastes great with coconut aminos if you’re craving soy sauce or Chinese stir fry. 

How’s everyone feeling? Congrats to everyone on making it to day 7! 

798C39D7-3B8A-463D-A47C-C253E124B10B.jpeg

Hey Welcome @50andstillhere - day 7!! I really dislike cooking even though I am really good at it. I find it to be a nuisance chore like cleaing the bathroom. That said, I despise processed, factory made foods, am hypersensitive to many common food additives and don't enjoy eating out so, what are you gonna do?  Hubs is pretty good at simple meals so he takes on half of the cooking and I just dig in and do it the rest of the time. I like to batch cook and freeze prepared meals ahead so there's always something there in a pinch. 

Yesterday my local compliant bacon arrived - definitely going to be enjoying that today - maybe more than once! 

I go back to work today - which basically means moving from this couch to my office. I own my own business so WFH is nothing new for me :) I have been working less than 1/2 time for 4 weeks with 10 days off completely so I am easing in with 2 half days this week before the fulltime onslaught hits next. Not that happy about going back to work. At 60 I'm thinking about what it would be like to be retired... this little taste has been enjoyable!

W30 is smoothly sailing along. GI disturbances have settled down. I'm sleeping better than I have in months. That's my biggest thing from a W30 - the sleep quality. Again, I don't know why we don't just live like this always. 

Hope everyone finishes this first week strong today!

That looks nice @christine19, we don’t have many things like that available here unfortunately, often they are either a) crazy expensive or b) have sugar added. We brits seem to have sugar in everything 

I’ve just made myself lunch: baked potato (I oven bake 10 at a time and freeze them, then they only take 5 mins in the microwave), and a jumble salad of tuna, mayo, Harrisa paste, chopped celery, chopped tomato and red pepper, spinach and parsley- mix it all together and add salt and pepper. 

finished work for the day, went for a run - feeling really good today! 

Welcome @50andstillhere Reintroduction is a weird no-man's-land, and food burn-out is no fun. Hopefully we can all stick around here for the reintro phase and lend each other support.

Sounds like everyone's doing great today! I'm still having a hard time falling asleep (which is probably 90% due to work anxiety), but I am sleeping like a baby once I do. I popped out of bed pretty easily this morning at 5:45 am and got out for a beautiful sunrise run with the pup. My three meals are all cooked and ready to go for the day, so I have a feeling today will be a no-brainer. Speaking of which, it's high time I ate breakfast. 

@Rebecca001 - that potato looks amazing. I had to google Harrista paste. Yum!

I didn’t reintroduce very much last time, I figured I would wait until I actually wanted something and that never really happened. I reintroduced red wine (immediately on day 31!) and then only really had very small amounts of preservatives which meant I could eat things like chorizo and pastrami again. I did 160 days until Xmas eve. Then at Christmas I had dairy (2 chocolates) and I felt like my skin was crawling all day, 2 oatcakes with liver pate on, and a piece of Christmas cake (which was actually dairy and gluten free anyways but did have sugar) over the 3 days.

Although what I did do was ‘behaviours’ rather than foods. After the 30 days I stopped forcing breakfast down if I didn’t want it, and I also stopped messing about with pre/post workout snacks because it just didn’t work for me, and I’d allow myself an extra something in the evening instead. I snacked more as well. And drank alcohol. so this time round I think I will do a more structured reintroduction (eg introduce soy so I can have dairy free and vegan products) and maybe try harder to retain the tight behaviours better.

I am a terrible emotional eater and would binge on sugar pre-whole30, although have not done that since July. But I still kinda want to? I crave that post binge high a bit but you can’t binge on salad can you?? So this time round I’m keeping my eye on that ball a bit better and will try to retain the habits after the 30 days not just the food. 

How are you all coping without the Weighing scales? I’ve got ‘the twitch’ today, because I know I’ve had a really good week on plan and I’d normally have weighed myself at least once or twice this week! But that’s another behaviour I need to stop so I’ve resisted so far! 

I decided to go grocery shopping early this morning to get my spaghetti squash for dinner and grabbed some fresh produce. Here is my lunch -  grilled chicken on Bibb lettuce wraps topped with the lemon tahini sauce I made the other day (not drizzled, more like slathered on) :D and topped with black olives and fresh parsley. I like using tahini for a different creamy topping than Mayo.

As far an reintroductions,  I have been gluten and dairy free since 2017, so I won’t introduce those things,  but from experience, what bothers me in order starting worst is corn, rice, beans. So if I want say Mexican food, I try to just eat one of those instead of all 3...like tortilla chips! Or I have eaten grain free tortilla chips but then what happens is I start down the gluten free junk food road of pretzels, crackers, cookies, added sugar, etc. which really is the food with no brakes for me. Ideally I should eat the whole30 way and occasionally have wine! LOL 

@Rebecca001 of course I want to weigh myself. Took the scale out of the bathroom and hid it in the closet! 

9281DD67-0889-4B12-9C20-FE7855069F0C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

I don’t think we can get spaghetti squash over here, is it a particular type of squash that shreds like noodles? Or just any variety of squash made into noodles? 

Spaghetti squash shreds naturally. But you can make noodles out of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, sweet potatoes with a spiralizer. A hand spiralizer is good for zucchini, but one that has power or a crank will work better with the hard stuff like sweet potatoes. Some grocery stores over here have them premade in the produce section,  they are more expensive but at least you could try it. I love zucchini noodles in the summer when it’s in season. 

Yes I have a spiraliser for courgette/zucchini. I tend to make cauliflower rice rather than noodles if needed. I have never seen the spaghetti squash though! I also like noodles made of cauliflower or broccoli stalk, although you do need a chunky shaped stalk for the spiraliser to work properly.  

Shame that you don't have spaghetti squash! I started using it to go with my meat sauce on my first Whole30, and realized I prefer it to regular noodles. Zucchini noodles are a close second, though.

It’s Saturday morning here. I must admit that last night I was tired and grumpy and I really missed my red wine and my snacks after a long stressful week. James is also not drinking which helps, although I suspect he might crack today as his team is playing and he will he watching that on tv, and I suspect he might like a beer to do so!

I remember last time I did W30 it was summer (And lockdown) and every afternoon in the first week or so  I would go chill in my hammock in the sun for a nap! No chance of that now as it’s -5* here this morning, although I am definitely feeling that tiredness again. I felt a bit better once I remembered this is all part of the process, and it does get better after the first few weeks. I ended up eating a few pieces of fruit and drinking water but I shouldn’t have bothered really because it wasn’t what I wanted.

we have a busy day planned today, I normally go to an outdoor bootcamp style workout class On Saturday mornings but obviously that’s cancelled so instead I will find a hiit workout on YouTube and do that, plus I will squeeze in a short run. Need to go shopping as I have now planned all my meals and snacks for the week ahead. Tomorrow I will batch cook some things to have in the fridge: some seasoned chicken, some lamb kofta skewers and a roasted tomato and tarragon thing which is so tasty; these will then be my lunches all week. 

enjoy your weekend everyone! 

Just re-read the original Whole30 book, I also read It Starts with Food again. Was interesting to see the timeline of how you may feel every day. It’s day 9 and I’m sore! I did a boxing video workout yesterday but it wasn’t that intense, so I thought. I had a rack of ribs in the freezer and I’m going to have my husband cook them on the smoker and I bought compliant Primal Kitchen BBQ sauce which I haven’t tried yet. Will make some roasted sweet potatoes to go with (I’m missing my French fries!)

Good idea to batch cook on the weekend, I’ll probably also grill chicken breasts that I can eat over salad every day. I just went food shopping and feel like I run out of food so quickly when I eat this way. Real food goes so fast when there’s no grains or junk food to supplement! :D

Saturday!! Day 9 - boy, I was missing my wine last night. What a week! Back to work fulltime next week but getting mentally ready after almost 4 weeks off seems harder than the actual work week will be. I did really, really well in taking 10 full days off - when you own your own business, taking time off is almost impossible.

Aside from the wine whining we're doing okay. I suffer from depression and anxiety and this W30 #4 has, once again, demonstrated that it's mostly diet related. That makes me mad because I want this good feeling forever but this diet still feels restrictive so I really have to think about where I am going with this next. Just at the end of my W30 #3 my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumour and I went from health to full on stress/distress for 9 solid months followed by an overwhelming grief for 4 months then %^&$! covid... so, this time, (fingers crossed) I will have a chance to decide what to do with what I know I need to be doing.

In the meantime, day 9. It's sunny. Life is good.

Happy Saturday, everyone! I realized this week that being busy is helping to keep the cravings at bay. I had a slower day on Thursday, and suddenly started to think more about snacking. I don't have any plans on the books today, which could be dangerous. I need to make a plan to fill my day with non-food activities. Not sure what that will look like yet.

Yesterday was not my best day food-wise. I didn't eat lunch until 4:30 pm due to being busy at work (is that even considered lunch anymore?), and realized I was missing a few key ingredients for my planned dinner. I ended up eating a compliant meat stick and large handful of almonds for dinner. I didn't go off-plan, but I could have made better decisions, like cooking the Brussels sprouts and compliant apple sausage in my fridge for dinner. I don't know why I didn't think about it at the time. I guess I was just drained mentally and wanted to eat something with zero effort. Something to think about next time that situation comes up.

@Lorna from Canada Have you read Food Freedom Forever? That book really helped after my last Whole30, which was my most successful "round" yet. It's like a roadmap to figure out how you want your "forever" diet to look. I highly recommend it.

Archived