January 1st Start Date!

becs

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya!!! I reverted very quickly early in 2020... I started reading FFF again this week, and forgot that she emphasizes the fact that you WILL revert, and it's all part of the plan/cycle. I have to remember that WHEN I revert again, it's not a failure. It's just a sign that I need to do another reset.

@becs I’m going to check out your book recommendation! I hadn’t heard of that one. 

Sounds like I’m not the only one missing wine! Um and margaritas :P However, so far I have barely any cravings - I strongly believe it’s because I’ve been gluten and dairy-free for 3 years, with the exception of butter (now of course I’m just having ghee). This is my first Whole30 since then. I know gluten-free grains and sugar are not good for me, however the combined elimination of gluten and dairy has been life changing. I used to have terrible brain fog and my ankles would swell terribly after a flight (even a short one) and last for days...at the time I had a job where I was flying weekly. Also, I’m not really good with “eating in moderation” - elimination is easier so I don’t have the taste in my mouth. Cheese is an example, frankly I’m too afraid to even try it since it’s been so long to see if I can tolerate it.

What I like about Whole30 and the reintroduction process is that it can be customized for everyone’s individual needs and you can figure out what works and doesn’t work for you. Happy Saturday, it’s sunny here too!

The only time I can manage to eat "food with no breaks" in moderation is if I'm at some kind of event, like a party or a dinner at someone else's house. I don't want to be that girl in the corner by the food stuffing her face! At home alone, though, I don't have a break pedal, not for salty snacks like chips and crackers. 

I need to look for FFF too, I’ve only read the intro book and ISWF. 
I’m feeling good today, soooooo glad I didn’t crack last night. Today I ran an absolutely belting 6km in well under 5 mins per km and did loads of jobs round the house.
Maybe the tiger isn’t roaring yet but I think she’s just starting to purrrrrr ! 

1 hour ago, becs said:

I don't want to be that girl in the corner by the food stuffing her face!

This made me laugh so hard! Been that girl - not gonna lie.

2 hours ago, becs said:

WHEN I revert again, it's not a failure.

Totally true. I have worked hard on self compassion - what I went through with my mom was so devastating and not eating well was the least of my worries. This is the perfect time for me to reset.

2 hours ago, christine19 said:

Sounds like I’m not the only one missing wine! Um and margaritas :P

I don't have any other cravings either. But wine... oh my...

I really enjoyed everyone’s post and the camaraderie. I think because I am alone in this journey that this forum helps.

I have been feeling sorry for myself because I made some split pea soup and I got soooo gassy and bloated and it just reinforced the need to figure out why this happens with many foods. Also I was on antibiotics 2 times in the past 8 months and I wonder if that really messed up my gut. 

Like a lot of people I wanted my wine Friday after being back at work full time. I am at one of the few schools that has in person learning, full time.  It can be stressful to say the least. Anyways due to lack of sleep and stress I have a little cold  which annoyed me.  So now I am just going to bed early and relaxing. Hopefully I will feel like getting back on the threadmill soon.  Here’s to a wonderful weekend.

@50andstillherewe are here for you and your journey! :) So sorry about the pea soup, even though peas are allowed, they bother my stomach like many beans do. Or, maybe your body is adjusting in general and that’s why you are bloated. I know it’ can be hard to find and make good compliant soups and in the winter when you have a cold, all you want is a yummy bowl of soup! Hope you feel better!

2 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

I have been feeling sorry for myself because I made some split pea soup and I got soooo gassy and bloated and it just reinforced the need to figure out why this happens with many foods. Also I was on antibiotics 2 times in the past 8 months and I wonder if that really messed up my gut. 

Aw man - that sucks! But good information - right? (small, tiny, miserable little win???) Prior to my first W30, I lived on pea soup, bean soup, hummus, LOVED my legumes. They were the first thing I reintroduced and WHOA - major challenges. Stopped eating them, finished my reintroduction, tried them again - all kinds of hell no... I've not eaten any of them since. SO - good information to be learned here.

Hang in there 50! We're here for you!

I found the same with split peas, I was so pleased they were allowed this time, just really to get an additional protein source for variety. I bought yellow split peas and exactly as you all describe, I had terrible bloating and stomach pain. Then I remember that actually I’ve always had this with peas and beans; I used to follow a Mediterranean style diet and could never eat lentils etc on that! I can manage green peas though and I find them really a good addition (eg crushed peas with fish is delicious, and you can make a pea And ham soup with them that’s really nice) 

today I really must go to the supermarket, I got sidetracked yesterday! Batch cooking, tidying up and chores is the order of the day, plus hopefully a run later. 

@Lorna from Canada I am so sorry about your mom.
@50andstillhere it can feel a bit lonely doing this plan, can’t it? I think people think it’s very extreme (most traditional diets here like weight watchers etc all allow treats) and my ‘diet friends’ are terrified of largely. It’s hard to justify why I’m eating this way without other people feeling like I’m criticising they way they eat so I tend to just eat my lettuce leaves quietly and not say anything! 

one thing I will say though is in a few days when the tiger blood really starts kicking in you will want to SHOUT from the rooftops about how amazing  you Feel! 

have a great day everyone! 

5 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

It’s hard to justify why I’m eating this way without other people feeling like I’m criticising they way they eat

I love my W30 Day to Day book - Day 9 (yesterday because today is day 10! 1/3 of the way through! WooHoo!!) talks about practicing what to say to people about how you're eating and why. In normal times that was good advice but, gee, I haven't needed it this time around! The only person I see is my youngest daughter who lives near us. She's done 3 W30s as well so I don't have to explain it to her!

I’m making my way through FFF and LOVE the tips on those conversations! I’ve been dealing with it awhile since I’ve tried quite a few different food plans over the years (to put it mildly). But I stopped eating gluten and dairy and frankly after 3 years it’s still EXHAUSTING that it continues to be a topic of conversation. My sister-in-law (who I love dearly) gets super stressed out if she makes a meal and has to research and overcomplicate everything, like find the most difficult recipe with 100 ingredients or one that’s supposed to have cheese or bread and try to eliminate it. :o I enjoy recipes that are super simple, with few ingredients and delicious!  I ALWAYS bring one or two dishes or appetizers to parties, summer BBQs and the holidays...not many of those in 2020, so there’s that!

Yay day 10 woot woot!

OMG the Sugar Dragon came after me yesterday! Around 6pm until bedtime I wanted to lose my mind! First wanted wine, hard seltzer, anything with booze. Luckily I don’t eat a lot of fruit so I didn’t have anything to attack. Also did a no-no, looked to find a Lara Bar in my stash of protein bars that are off-limits. Fortunately, I didn’t have a compliant one. So I decided to make a cup of tea and looked at the packet of lemon ginger and it said soy lecithin (really?) so I picked another brand of lemon ginger I had and also ate 1/2 can of black olives. Slept well...and cheers to Day 11! Whew! 

@christine19well done. That just shows why it’s so important to clear the cupboards and make sure there’s things in for emergencies! I find sometimes when I have one of those days, I wake up the next day feeling v really refreshed and motivated. It’s like it’s a mini hurdle to cross. 

I looked back over my week last night, I know technically it’s more than a week, but I like to reflect on it and set goals for the week ahead. My food had been good but I had been having too much fruit I think, and nuts, so I’m going to try and cut right back on both this week. I cannot buy almond butter again, even pure almond as it is just food with no brakes for me. Good things last week were: I aimed for 50 portions of veg in the week and I managed 52, so that was brilliant. I exercised every day, slept better and my skin is looking clearer and brighter. My food was 100% on plan too although I think I eat too much sometimes and eat when I’m not hungry/clear my plate so again, I’m going to slow eating down and really listen to my body before eating. 

today I had salad with cold potato, spicy tuna mayo and a roasted tomato and tarragon bake I made yesterday. Then dinner tonight is chilli con carne (with no beans) and sweet potato baked like a cottage pie (sounds weird I know!) with veggies and salad. I am very hungry right now waiting for dinner, as I didn’t eat breakfast today as I was in work, and grabbed lunch at 2pm when I finally got a break. 

• Moderators
On 1/10/2021 at 12:02 AM, Rebecca001 said:

It’s hard to justify why I’m eating this way without other people feeling like I’m criticising they way they eat so I tend to just eat my lettuce leaves quietly and not say anything! 

I find that when I bring things to work that were leftovers from the night before or from a meal prep it reduces the comments... Like... no one would comment on something like this because it just looks like 'food'... really really good food! http://meljoulwan.com/2010/07/27/baked-eggplant-farmesan/

Not to say that you can't have salad or that you deserve people to be judgey but it's something to consider that for some reason if food looks less like 'healthy veggies' people seem to comment less... just something I've learned.

ALSO, you don't have to justify anything girlfriend! You decide what to wear, how to do your hair, where to live, what to watch on tv... and what to eat... none of that requires justification to anyone, certainly not work folks or anyone that is not directly impacted by what you choose... and it's GREAT that none of your work people are directly impacted by what you choose to eat :)

I get that it's hard... people are weird about food. 

People are very weird about food, you are right. I think people want a ‘magic bullet’ but when you say ‘here it is’ they cannot bear the thought of this (miserable?) life without junk food. I think also, that because I am slim, people feel that they can comment freely on what I eat, whereas when I was 3 stone heavier they wouldn’t have done that. But the reason I am slim is because I eat like this! I rarely talk about food by my choice, but people ask, and then it’s really hard not to say isn’t it? I think we just have to quietly nod and smile! I have very vocal in-laws as well so I get it from family all the time. Ironically many of them have long term conditions that would really benefit from a whole30!! 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Rebecca001 said:

I think people want a ‘magic bullet’ but when you say ‘here it is’ they cannot bear the thought of this (miserable?) life without junk food.

This is dead on! It goes back to people seeing the result but not seeing the work... we're so conditioned for immediate gratification in our society that for some people the thought of the background work doesn't really come into play (not just in food/diet but in most things that people excel at or want to get good at or progress in).

Yep, smile and nod... change the subject - almost 100% of the time if you ask them a question, it'll turn attention back to them because people LOVE to talk about themselves ;) 

On 1/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, christine19 said:

after 3 years it’s still EXHAUSTING

Ugh - that just sucks. We tend to stay away from people when we're on a W30 - makes it easier. Of course, right now we have no choice. We all need to listen to Sugar on this one: 

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

ALSO, you don't have to justify anything girlfriend! You decide what to wear, how to do your hair, where to live, what to watch on tv... and what to eat... none of that requires justification to anyone, certainly not work folks or anyone that is not directly impacted by what you choose... and it's GREAT that none of your work people are directly impacted by what you choose to eat :)

How you making out @SugarcubeOD? You're a bit behind us but doing okay? One might assume being a W30 staffer would make it easier but I am too smart for that.

5 hours ago, christine19 said:

quote of the day “people are weird about food” :D 

AMEN to that. 

DAY 11! Who is up for socially distanced, hand sanitizer and mask wearing HIGH FIVES??? Look at us go! B)

The wine whiner is slowly accepting its fate. Stressful day today - we lost our bid on our PEI beach house - :unsure: and that could have gone down a little easier with a glass of something amazing from South Australia's Barossa Valley... but, we got through it.

I think I have hit this place before where I am not very hungry during the day and I fill up quickly at meals. I am not here to lose weight (although I have some covid poundage to shed) so I wonder if I am getting enough calories. It does tell me that a lot of the hunger I experience when I'm not doing a reset are unnecessary.

That's it for me - on to day 12. This is zipping by for me - how's everyone else doing?

Sounds like we all survived the weekend! Rock on!

This W30 is zipping along for me, as well. I didn't have any Wine Dragons breathing down my throat this weekend, which was awesome. I have a ton of food prepped and waiting for me in the fridge and freezer, so I'm feeling pretty prepared for the week. My husband and I are going up to the mountains this weekend, and I'm a little nervous about that, but I have enough pre-prepped food to bring with me, so it shouldn't be too difficult. 

NSVs: Hubby commented on my much-improved mood as of late, which is awesome! Somehow outside validation is so much sweeter than internal validation. I know a lot of it has to do with me getting back into running (exercise ALWAYS improves my mood and keeps depression at bay), but I think the W30 has something to do with it as well. I also feel like my eyelids are a bit less droopy (maybe that one is in my head?), and my clothes are starting to fit better. Now I just need that Tiger Blood to kick in...

Days 10 and 11 are supposedly the hardest days - looking forward to the downhill slope!

1 hour ago, Lorna from Canada said:

The wine whiner is slowly accepting its fate. Stressful day today - we lost our bid on our PEI beach house - :unsure: and that could have gone down a little easier with a glass of something amazing from South Australia's Barossa Valley... but, we got through it.

Sorry about the beach house, hope you find another and by the summer you can hopefully enjoy that wine as you relax by the water! 

8 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

Good things last week were: I aimed for 50 portions of veg in the week and I managed 52, so that was brilliant.

52 portions of veg is truly brilliant! Great job! 

52 minutes ago, becs said:

Days 10 and 11 are supposedly the hardest days - looking forward to the downhill slope!

I’m ready for the downhill slope! Let’s do this!

Yes I was quite pleased with 50+ portions of Veg. I love veggies but I’m not very imaginative and there’s only so much salad I can eat, and I do find I don’t eat enough of it. Pre-cooking loads plus making ‘traybakes’ and big Mixed salads/slaw really helps. 

I’m the opposite of you @Lorna from Canada, I feel like I’m eating WAY too much. I don’t know if I am or not, without weighing or calorie counting it’s impossible to know. I remember this from before; my brain simply isn’t used to relinquishing this tight, lifelong control over my fuel intake. You feel full and satisfied? Then you MUST have cheated, you must have eaten too much, you must have had something you shouldn’t have. Traditional diets have a lot to answer for don’t they? 

it’s back to working from home today after my day in the office yesterday. I have a long list this week. I can’t force breakfast down, so I will have a prerun snack at around 11.30 so I can run at 1.00. I’ve made a chia seed overnight pot. Then a proper lunch afterwards. Our dinner tonight will be salmon and stir fry veg. 

love the NSV’s! I’ve been doing daily yoga since 18th dec and last night I just ‘felt it’, I felt so strong and like my form was neat and I just was in the yoga zone. Felt really good. the tiger blood is coming I can tell. I feel these little flickers of energy inside me, usually at times I’d normally feel exhausted - I just feel this little spark inside. 

have an amazing day ladies 

Archived