January 1st Start Date!

becs

@Saieethats a shame.

we don’t really ‘do’ squash here in the uk. We can get butternut squash in every supermarket, but they can be quite watery and flavourless. Around Halloween we can sometimes get different types that are nicer flavoured and textured than BNS but it’s not a traditional veg here. We’re all about the root veg! 

i’m up early this morning considering it’s a Saturday but I was so tired last night I fell asleep watching tv! Still feeling that sleepiness in the evenings. I might have a mid afternoon nap today to see me through. Saturday is normally weigh day for me, and muscle:fat tracking, so this morning I very nearly stood on the scales on autopilot! I actually feel quite bloated today, my period is due and (weird but apparently common) side effect of coronavirus - my cycle is really disrupted and affects me terribly, with real pmt and other side effects which is one reason I wanted to do this W30 reset this time round. So will be interesting to see if there’s an improvement this month. 

my day consists of: building a wardrobe for my boy’s bedroom (so he stops using the floor!), plus finishing off a wooden floor I’ve been repairing, I sanded it back last last weekend and this weekend it’s time for wax, which will be good physical work! I might do a kettlebell workout this afternoon, but no run as tomorrow it’s forecast to be crisp and sunny and I’m hoping to head out for a long one! Need to go Food shopping as well, written my menu out for the whole week. 

have a great day! 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Rebecca001 I have to find it but I have a roast pumpkin recipe that I got from a friend in Australia. I just thought of looking for compliant recipes that can use canned pumpkin as that is all that I think is available to me right now.  Am debating in my mind if I should add canned pumpkin to my soup recipe that I have been putting together. 

I do hope that W30 is helping during your period and am sorry that you feel bloated :(  As for sleepiness I have been dealing with that but do not know if from W30 or Diabetes. I am keeping an eye on it and enjoying tea.  I miss my wardrobe, I got a nice real wood one when I was in England and when came back the movers had pretty much destroyed it.  

I woke up cranky today. I’m surprised that I’m not more energetic 2 weeks in but I am sleeping much better. It was raining, so I spent the day cleaning and organizing. Just had simple meals today, grilled chicken over salad and grilled shrimp over cauliflower rice with a spicy sauce—-normally I make it with regular mayonnaise and sriracha that has sugar so I had to use avocado oil Mayo and compliant Sriracha and it was very good. It’s hard not to get on the scale! But my jeans fit better and my face is thinner - I get puffy when I eat grains. And I’m definitely less hungry, which is wonderful, because I’m always hungry! 

End of Day 16 - feeling divine!

Okay - little non-Whole30 PSA - remember to back up anything not in your cloud :( Fatal hard drive crashes are no fun. New computer already ordered but, in the meantime I'm using this old one which is clunky. sigh

Sounds like everyone is doing GREAT with the program even with the ups and downs these middle days bring

Hubs and I are already starting to talk about the 30(+) days after W30. We're not going to do reintro as we already know what we can't tolerate - legumes for me, gluten for him and dairy is a problem for both of us. I'm going to carry on for another 15 days to keep fine-tuning and he's going to eat what I'm eating plus beer :).  I'm feeling so well mentally that I am not ready to do a re-entry trial of sugar in any form. I was really, REALLY worried that not being allowed to go to my home in Australia this winter would bring about a worst-ever case of S.A.D. but W30 is totally killing it for me in that department. I just don't want to mess with it in February. I may stay on W30 until April when my depression would usually be starting to lift again anyway. 

Half way through wineless weekend #3 - I can do this! All of us can!

I find my sleep is disturbed this time although not as dramatically as my last one. Last time I really worked hard to eat breakfast as soon as I got up , whereas this time I haven’t been, and I’m finding I don’t wake quite so early- I think it was my body clock responding to the food routine. 

@christine19 I also am a bit surprised I don’t feel quite as energetic as I’d have hoped, maybe it’s the difference between summer w30 and winter w30. Although when I look back, I’m doing a lot more this time. Last time I basically lazed about in my garden for 30 days! This time I’m working, running more, kids to school, me to work- very different. And I certainly feel more energetic than I did 3 weeks ago! 

I’m feeling much better today. Cranky mood is gone and had a good workout -  I do cardio boxing videos. My husband volunteered to go food shopping with me today :wub:  because I saw that turkey tenderloin was on sale so he is going to make it  with his recipe of apple, sausage, celery and onion stuffing. I’ve decided to try to incorporate a little more fruit as part of meals, that seems to prevent me from wanting to snack at night.

16 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Hubs and I are already starting to talk about the 30(+) days after W30. We're not going to do reintro as we already know what we can't tolerate - legumes for me, gluten for him and dairy is a problem for both of us

I cleaned a cabinet out yesterday and had to move all the booze! After January, I think I am also going to have wine or tequila and keep the food Whole30 for awhile longer. I make a sugarless margarita that I am missing! 

@christine19I love boxing, I have a bag in our garage for when I need to let off steam! 

I ran half a marathon today, 13.1 miles- a long way! And not a bad time either, although the last 3miles were hard and my legs are very tired now.

just cooked a big Sunday roast, and did my meal prep for the week so I have a big bowl of finely sliced cabbage, onion, carrot and celery, with raisins and almonds, all ready to mix with mayo to make slaw. Then I roasted an extra chicken so I have a full tub of chicken meat all ready for salads and sandwiches as well, plus some leftover cooked veg. I find cooked carrot quite good for that moment where you open the fridge and need something to jump out. I stewed some apple with cinnamon and ginger which is a nice addition to my chia seed gloop (overnight pots) in the morning. 

and we’ve now survived our 3rd dry weekend! I listened to a nice ‘bite size’ podcast today by a lovely English doctor about the surprising benefits of giving up alcohol - none of them surprised me!- but it can help to reaffirm that any break in drinking has actual positive effects, and often they are fairly instant. 

1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

I ran half a marathon today, 13.1 miles- a long way!

Wow! Great job Rebecca! I remember you mentioning coconut cream the other day. I put a can in the refrigerator and pit got nice and thick - spooned it into a cup of chai tea. Better than almond milk! 

• Moderators
On 1/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, Saiee said:

They show even Whole30 compliant hot dogs and breakfast sausages... I will have to reread the book as my interpretation was that would be like making fake pancakes.

This is a good thought process to apply to all foods - to ensure that you're not trying to cram non-compatible food into compatible packaging. the good thing is, that unless you're coming off a massive hot dog or breakfast sausage addiction, these are fine.  Baked goods of any kind are definitely not fine as per the rules but other things, such as say... almond coated chicken tenders would be fine... again, unless you were coming from a place where all you ate was fast food chicken tenders.  Does that make sense?

• Moderators

I'm here lagging behind you guys on Day 8 but being part of this group and you guys blazing the trail is definitely keeping me motivated and on track!  I have to go to the office two days this week (unfortunately my 'office' is actually the hospital so that makes me quite nervous) but I got my breakfast and lunch all packed up in the fridge waiting and my teabag and travel tea cup are even ready for tomorrow already. My drive to the hospital is quite long (about an hour and 10) and in the mornings if I'm feeling drowsy, I usually have a mint... I'm hoping that I'm far enough along in the Whole30 that I'm alert and wide awake so I don't have to worry about that - I'll take some ice water along with me and I can always crank the windows down - it's about 4c (39f) here in the mornings so that should keep me awake ;) 

I’ve had a good day today and it’s now 6pm and I feel bouncy still! Maybe this is the feint growling of the tiger??? 

really nice food today; I’d half made coleslaw last night, made the mayo this morning and added tahini and lemon for a sort of hummus-y type mixed up salad, with shredded chicken, avocado chunks and flaked almonds. I took a little tub with cherry toms, mini cucumber and olives to work but didn’t eat it as I didn’t need it after my big salad! Dinner was parcel sea bass- spinach, toms, sea bass, lemon oil, all baked in foil, then opened up the foil and used almonds, seasoning and herbs to make a crust- oh my, it was soooo tasty, partly because I was so hungry. Had another spoonful of my slaw, and some cooked veg, and boiled new potatoes. It felt really fresh and healthy! I have some leftover potato now to mix with mayo for a potato salad tomorrow. 

I haven’t run today because I did so far yesterday, but even though last night my legs were aching, this morning I wasn’t stiff at all; I also expected it worse as I thought I’d be retaining some water as it’s TOTM due tomorrow, but none at all. So a good semi-NSV! 

Glad you all made it through the weekend! I had a wonderful time up in the mountains, and had no problem keeping on track. Good friends of ours have a cabin up there, as well, and we hung out with them the entire time. It was weird not having drinks with everyone, and I got REALLY sick of La Croix's, but it was much easier than I had feared. Just got back home and went on a quick grocery run for the week. Thank goodness I have a ton of food ready to go in the freezer, since I have no interest in meal prep today...

56 minutes ago, becs said:

I had a wonderful time up in the mountains, and had no problem keeping on track.

That’s fantastic... glad you had a great time! 

5 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I’ve had a good day today and it’s now 6pm and I feel bouncy still! Maybe this is the feint growling of the tiger???

Same with me..... the growling has begun! YAY! 

I had a delicious grilled filet mignon for dinner - we bought a porterhouse and my husband ate the strip steak. Also made mushrooms and onions and steak fries. My first time using compliant ketchup from Primal Kitchen, which tasted like the real thing...amazing after 3 weeks of no sugar!! I love ketchup and I know it’s the sugar that’s the attraction! It is so amazing the flavors of everything when the sugar dragon is slayed! Day 18 is a wrap! 

Not sure what happened there! 

today has been a very long, Hard challenging day and I won’t lie, I have been tested to the end of my resolve and back. But you know? Food never crossed my mind. NSV or what? Very glad I’d roasted that extra chicken on Sunday because that was my food today, with salad and coleslaw, and again at lunch! And this is my dinner: homemade spicy burgers, sweet potato fries and salad. 

day 19 had nearly broken me but I am nearly through it! We’re nearly 2/3 of the way through now! 

5 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

today has been a very long, Hard challenging day and I won’t lie, I have been tested to the end of my resolve and back. But you know? Food never crossed my mind.

That’s a win...you made it through day 19! We’re on the home stretch! I’ll tell you my momentary tiger blood already disappeared, it was here for a great boxing workout this morning but then I wished I could nap all afternoon! 

My NSV for today is my clothes fitting better (which technically could be a scale victory but I can’t prove that yet LOL)  

On 1/18/2021 at 9:10 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

This is a good thought process to apply to all foods - to ensure that you're not trying to cram non-compatible food into compatible packaging. the good thing is, that unless you're coming off a massive hot dog or breakfast sausage addiction, these are fine.  Baked goods of any kind are definitely not fine as per the rules but other things, such as say... almond coated chicken tenders would be fine... again, unless you were coming from a place where all you ate was fast food chicken tenders.  Does that make sense?

It does make sense. And I will stay away from them as both hot dogs and breakfast sausage were things I ate a lot, but compliant sausage in a meat sauce with never before eaten squash or zucchini noodles I think I can do especially as I kinda loathe zucchini 

20 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

But you know? Food never crossed my mind. NSV or what?

HUGE NSV! It's one thing to resist cravings, but it's a whole other level of awesome not to have them in the first place, especially in times of stress. Love it!

@Saiee The thing about zucchini noodles is that you barely even taste them once you add your sauce. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Same thing with spaghetti squash. You kinda get the texture of pasta without the belly bloat. I don't know what recipe you're looking at, and you probably already know this, but I would suggest tossing the raw zucchini noodles with salt and letting them sit in a colander for 30 minutes or so, then thoroughly rinsing to get rid of the salt. That method coaxes out a lot of the water, leaving them with a more pasta-like texture. Dry sauté them in a pan for a few minutes and you're good to go. I salt/rinse a big batch for my meal, then save half for leftovers before I sauté them. They keep well in the fridge, at least overnight.

@Lorna from CanadaTotally agreed - I feel so good eating this way, so why do I slip back into old habits? I think for me it's the stress eating that gets me. That and the WTH effect from drinking alcohol. I need to pay close attention to my stress/anxiety and how to manage it without crunchy, salty things. It's easy right now with all of these awesome black & white rules to follow. Yet another reason to create personalized B&W rules once my reintro is complete!

Tomorrow will be three weeks of W30 - how awesome is that! Keep on keeping on, everyone.

I’ve found the last few days pretty tough. A combination of ‘willpower fatigue’, COVID fatigue and a sudden huge increase in stress at work. As I said yesterday, I have kept out of the kitchen, but I must admit today I have thought more about food and have craved something really sugary, doughy, baked, fried, and sprinkled with sugar. Not to eat, but to stuff down my feelings I guess and to cope with the additional stress. I didn’t though! 

I wasn’t  well prepped either, my fridge stock I prepared on Sunday has all run out, and as a result I picked at a few bits in the morning but didn’t really do lunch. so this evening while I cooked I baked a butternut squash, made lamb, chilli and tomato meatballs, and cut up a whole load of carrots and peppers into crudités so that there is actually something there when I open the fridge tomorrow! 

tonight we had crispy coated chicken, with almond and seasoned crust, and I had with a big salad. There is chicken left over too. And I peeled and cored a cooking apple, and microwaved it and had with a few frozen cherries and a spoonful of coconut cream, sprinkled with flaked almonds. 

day20! 2/3 through! My husband is almost definitely going to drink wine this weekend and after my terrible week I think this will be a big test for me, but despite my terrible week I am feeling bouncy and energised, sleeping well and coping... so I am confident I can do it! 

My mood hasn’t been great the past few days, my morning workouts have been good but then that energy fades quick for some reason! I have not been very hungry, so my constant urges to snack have subsided. I’ve been having chai tea with coconut cream at night and sometimes I have a little fruit with dinner, which seems to help me with wanting to snack later. I had a very bad pandemic-binging-potato chip-gluten-free-pretzel-chomping habit while watching TV. My eyes and skin are a lot brighter and that carb-puff is gone from my face and noticeable. Happy about that! Wow...1/3 of the way left...we got this!

6 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I’ve found the last few days pretty tough.

Me tooo - I'm really, really wanting candy which is the LAST thing I need. It doesn't help that there is a big delivery box filled with candy sitting on my kitchen counter. We didn't open it - it's a Christmas gift from one of Hubs's vendors and it's taken its sweet time (oh, forgive that terrible pun!) getting here from the exquisite candy store from which it was ordered. Both of us know that opening the box would be very, very dangerous. So, there it sits. sigh* 

Initially doing this 4th W30 felt like a great structure to get though a crappy, covid impacted winter and, it really has been. But, one of the things that I find very difficult about covid and our seemingly perpetual lockdown state is the repetitious, boring sameness of every single day. Now, after 20 days, this also feels like boring repetition. So it has been tough, 

I'm coping by focussing on the amazing NSVs - the quality sleep is brilliant. The overall reduction in anxiety is brilliant. THe feeling like I'm in better control is also brilliant. And the more comfortable clothes are brilliant. That box of candy can't derail me :)

2/3 - we're doing great!

@Lorna from Canadayes I think you’re right. The relentless lockdown boredom certainly can’t be helping. It’s strange, in many ways I feel amazing but I have this little nagging voice this time that’s throwing out all the ‘eating too much’ ‘think you’ve actually gained weight’ type comments and that’s very challenging too. I think that’s just the fabric of my makeup though, my “issues” always manifest as food/weight/body image things, and is probably a symptom of life at the moment. 
Also I think because I didn’t actually cut out many things this time as I had already done that in July and never reintroduced them, it doesn’t feel new, this is just the way I eat! 

however yes, the nsv list is growing steadily and that’s great, and top of the list for me is I’ve shaken off that brain fog that’s been lingering since I had COVID, I’m sleeping deeply, and I’m certainly coping better with all the stresses currently. I think I’m just really glad and proud of myself that I haven’t ended up eating toast, biscuits and chocolate to get me through working from home and lockdown; it would have been so easy to and I’m really really glad I haven’t as I’d be feeling terrible now. 

it’s forecast to be a crisp sunny day here after a week of almost constant  rain so that will brighten my mood too! 

• Moderators

NSV over here on Day 11 - I'm down a belt loop in my regular belt I wear! (As @ladyshannysaid, 'who wears a belt anymore... apparently I do!). 

It's funny you mention the candy @Lorna from Canada- I was at the office on Tuesday and my office mate asked for the Jelly Belly container that I keep in my desk drawer - she eats the majority of them so not sure why in my desk... anyway, the smell of them was so intense (this weird sugary fruit scent)... that was hard to resist... but I did it! 

Archived