Lara Bars

MamaDrew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi MamaDrew. I believe they're okay in the sense if you're out and about and need an emergency snack to get you by, however we're not supposed to depend on them. I'll keep one in my purse or car for those instances where I'm out longer than planned and don't have access to food, stuck in traffic and hangry, etc.

It is a better idea though to just have some nuts and dried fruit (or just plain fruit) stashed in your purse or car for emergencies. I always keep a tin of sardines packed in olive oil in my purse for times like this! Sounds strange, but I have come to love them :)

• 2 months later...

Darn! They just had them on sale and I bought a bunch... I only got the ones with fruit and dates. I am keeping them at work for when it gets crazy and I have no time to eat. I figured that was better than just caving and ruining my hard work (which has only been less than 24 hours so far!!)

For me, larabars quickly become a food with no brakes. but, as mentioned above, they are good for emergencies, or for packing for hikes, etc.

The ones that are Whole30 compliant are usually around 18-24g of sugar. When you consider that one date has approx 16g of sugar, that's not *too* bad. (Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Coconut Cream Pie, and Key Lime are my favorites.)

If i want to eat one, I definitely only buy one at a time. I want to get to a place where I can have "treats" in the house and not be tempted to Eat All the Things, but... I'm not there yet.

Larabars are ok if they contain dates, nuts and fruits. Apple, blueberry, coconut and cashew are ok for sure.

If you search "larabar" on the forum amount of posts like "I ate too much of them", "binge eating larabars" etc should give an idea - it might not be the best choice :D

I personally think that Larabars are candies and not the best choice of snack. Especially if you are supporting your need for "little something". Exactly like a fruit as a snack alone they make me more hungry and not satisfied at all. If the options are to eat frankenfood or larabar - it's obvious, go for it. Other than that - there are lots of options (and threads on this forum) for great balanced snacks.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing, as I know all the ingredients are natural and they are gluten and dairy free and non GMO. However, there certainly is a lot of sugar, but it comes from the natural ingredients and not added (or artificial sweetener).

Of course, eat within reasonable limits and you should be okay, right? (i.e if I'm really hungry at work and need something quick before I go to the gym)

Are there any Larabar's that AREN'T Whole30 approved? Like the ones with peanuts?

The peanut would be out on any Paleo diet and I believe the chocolate ones would be out on the Whole30.

I personally won't go near Lara bars as I feel like they are bait for the Sugar Dragon. I could eat 5 of those things without thinking twice since they just aren't that satiating to me.

Jerky, dried fruit & nuts seem like a much better options for the Whole30. Of course every one is different, so they may work fine for some :)

I keep the mini-Larabars in my tennis bag in case of a blood sugar low. I've had to use them twice when I was feeling a bit shaky and dizzy during a match. I figured it was better than fainting and having the paramedics come and put a dextrose IV in my arm.

If you're eating an adequate PWO meal (as per template) you should have absolutely zero issues with low blood sugar.

I keep the mini-Larabars in my tennis bag in case of a blood sugar low. I've had to use them twice when I was feeling a bit shaky and dizzy during a match. I figured it was better than fainting and having the paramedics come and put a dextrose IV in my arm.

If you've got a blood sugar related condition, this is a great use for Larabars. There's nothing in those mini bars that will throw you off track.

I don't have hypoglycemia, I just tend to burn through my breakfast pretty fast when playing 2+ hours of tennis in the Texas heat (which is already upon us). After an hour or so, I need something to keep the fast-twitch muscle fibers going, so I take a bite of a mini-bar on each change-over until it's gone and I'm good to go.

Sure it isn't heat stroke or dehydration?

Anyway, jerky is awesome and delicious. Most types I've tried taste just like salty meat, thought a little tough. Low in calories, low in fat, high in protein. Really sodium content is often the only real downside to the stuff if you're buying it premade. Definitely a good emergency snack though.

I'm seeing a common theme here on the W30 Forum. . . there are a few members who think they just know it all. To those folks (and you should know who you are): Some of us are on our first W30 and would like to try it again and hopefully do it better the second time around so try not to turn us off any more than you already have. And some of us just have questions that may require some thought -- not a knee-jerk response of your (unscientific) opinions. To those who have offered their sincere advice -- thanks! I'm on day 22 and I'd give myself a B+ for my efforts so far. I've been 100% compliant as far as food goes but I could have done some things better for sure. I may have used the forum more if I wasn't sure I'd be pounced on by the peanut gallery. We'll see how it goes next time.

TBinSD it sounds like you're doing great. I don't believe anyone, myself included, manages a perfect W30 first time round but, as Robin said, you don't have to "You don't have to address every food related issue you have, break every bad habit, and shun every food that gives you comfort to succeed with your Whole30". In fact, although I eat W30 about 98% of the time, I don't think I've ever managed a perfect W30 yet. I've always been able to look back and see something I think I could have improved on.

I'm really, really glad you're still here and that you're planning on doing another one. I hate the thought of anyone being turned off by anything that happens here. I'm also really really sorry you feel you've been pounced on. It can happen, especially when people are passionate about what they're doing. I've seen the mods step in several times to try to calm or clarify situations but we don't always get it in time before someone's feelings get hurt and for that, I'm truly sorry.

People do mean well; Robin put it brilliantly here "Everyone here is well-meaning, and everyone here wants to see you succeed, but everyone here is at a different place in this journey". When you add to it that it's an internet forum, we can only read what's written, we can't see facial expressions, gestures or hear the tone of voice, it makes it more difficult. I try to stop and think before I reply to posts but sometimes I've been as guilty as the next of being complacent and just firing off a quick reply. Sometimes I've looked back and thought, I wish I hadn't put it that way, or I wish I hadn't said that so, if I've offended or upset anyone, I'm truly sorry, it was unintentional.

Now, as Robin said, everyone's at a different place in their journey, having read your "It's all in your head" post, I'd say you're at a really good place. It's your body, your life, your W30 and it sounds like you're doing great with it. I really do wish you all the best with the rest of your W30 and healthy life.

By the way, the post of Robin's that I quoted from is here http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5580-dont-over-think-this/ It's one I refer back to often. she said it so well :)

I did not eat Larabars while doing my Whole30, because they do seem like "dessert" to me. However, I have a stash that I dip into occasionally now that I'm "postW30."

One bar and a hard-boiled egg is my go-to emergency "meal" when I'm rushed.

Archived