Lara Bars

MamaDrew

"Each bar contains no more than nine ingredients such as dates,almondscashews, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, unsweetened fruit (apples, bananas, blueberries, cherries, raisins etc.), cinnamon, ginger, cocoa powder, coconut, sea salt, etc. Larabar ingredients are gluten-free, dairy free, kosher, and soy free."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of emergencies would require having a Lara Bar on hand?

I keep one in the under-saddle wedge bag on my bike.  It's there for the true emergency where we get lost or injured or something and there is no compliant food around.  I also carry one in my travel briefcase...again for emergencies where there are no other options.  But, I don't like them all that much, so they are truly there as 'back-up'.  In fact, I should probably replace the one on my bike as it's been there so long it's probably gone bad! ;-)

I did just order a box of RxBars, so I might sub those in place of the Lara bar when they arrive.

• Moderators

I just bought some of the lamb-currant-mint epic bars. I only use them in emergencies like travel or when I cannot get other protein.

They are compliant (as of right now, I always check!) with the following ingredients:

organic lamb, organic currants, sea salt, lactic acid (not from milk), celery powder, basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, red & black pepper, sesame seeds, dehydrated spearmint leaves, dehydrated lemon peel.

ultrarunnergirl-

I LOVE Epic bars. Are any of the other flavors compliant? I heard they just released a lamb and mint one....

• Moderators

Larabars were not a good idea for me. I have been doing so good and I was going to a BBQ yesterday and wanted to take a snack. I ate a larabar and within couple hours my stomach blew up like a balloon and I was in pain. Has anyone had a reaction to larabars? I accidentally had gum that day because I forget that we can't have it. It's more of a habit I need to kick, my gum has since been thrown out. Anyone experience this with larabars or even gum for that matter?

You could be reacting to the fructose. My husband's stomach is quite sensitive to it. Dates have a TON and that's what LARABARS are, mostly.

The fact is, a LARABAR is a big sugar hit no matter how you cut it. It's not your friend, unless you are literally about to faint from hunger.

I include compliant larabars in my Whole30. And *for me*, I'm fine. It doesn't set off the sugar dragon (for me!). And as a nurse, a larabar has saved me more than once. We don't always get a chance to sit down and eat that wonderfully compliant meal that you packed last night! For me, hard boiled eggs and larabars keep me going until I can eat that meal.

As many have mentioned though, they aren't all compliant. Check the ingredients.

Funny, I'm also a tennis player and ALWAYS have larabars in my bag.

Archived