OurSmallFootprint's W30 Journey

OurSmallFootprint

Hey everyone, I've found inspiration and accountability by reading others journals, so I hope to add that in too! :)

Hubby and I have decided to do a whole30, he has chronic reflux and congestion and has gained a lot of weight in his 40+ spread, it is impacting his knees and back and joints, I have a bunch of chronic health issues including Trigeminal Neuralgia and psoriasis, with some other things thrown in, so we both want to see if anything food wise is the culprit for flares if we can.

We live off grid in Australia with 6 kiddos, I only shop monthly (I travel 3.5 hours each way once a month to do a big shop) but we do have a small town 30mins away that we visit once or twice a week for animal feed/post office etc.  My kiddos are CMPI so they don't have dairy already so I'm feeding them very similarly to us, but I do make them sourdough, milk kefir smoothies/overnight oats and homemade pasta for their bolognese etc.  They also consume a fair amount of peanut butter lol, and I do make them treats like sourdough pancakes with blueberries etc, I am very good at abstaining, hubby not so much, but I just don't serve him those foods.

I shopped on Thursday the 7th, so that evening was our first compliant meal, something we eat regularly anyway, nom nom paleo's cracklin chicken thighs with mashed potato and Brocollini sautéed in the chicken fat/ghee.

I spend the next few days meal prepping all the meat that I bought.  I got a great deal on a 15kg box of chicken breasts so, I smoked 18 large chicken breasts in a compliant dry rub and then sliced them all up and vacuum sealed them and froze them for later, I also diced up half of the rest and filleted the other half and froze that in portions for meals later on.

I made burger patties (mince, diced mushroom, bacon) for dinner and we had the leftovers the next day as well, I will make 4kg of compliant meatballs to snap freeze and then portion out and freeze vacuum sealed and I am making 2 of the bacon wrapped meatloaves with mushroom gravy tonight for today and tomorrow as well.  I also have a boston but and a huge rolled leg roast of pork that I will use throughout this month, and some prawns in the freezer :)  I also bought massive amounts of garlic and made garlic confit to make my sauces/mayo's out of :D

So 8th of Jan

M1 Sauteed Veg Bowl, we have a large vegetable garden which is going to help enormously with our veg intake.  

M2 Grilled Chicken with avocado and salad

M3 Burger Plate with a fried egg, and roasted potato straws, salad including kohlrabi from the garden, and Aioli made from the garlic confit.

9th Jan

M1 Zucchini and Bacon Fritters with leftover meat patties and aioli

M2 Sausage, Basil and Tomato Frittata (Paleo Running Momma)

M3 Cracklin Chicken thighs with Mashed potato and Sautéed Brocollini.

94565B11-0439-4116-85AE-65212AB5F4CD.jpeg

IMG_5440.jpeg

IMG_5450.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.11.15 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.13.08 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.13.52 pm.png

10th Jan

I'm really slack at eating three meals, especially when in pain, and I'm not sure if its the start of the diet causing a flare or just poor timing in general, but my pain levels are pretty high atm.  

I made a huge pot of potato salad, made some dressing using sesame oil and the confit oil with egg, lemon juice, salt, pepper, homemade mustard, ACV, mixed it through 20 eggs, a couple of kg of potatoes and some bacon bits.  The kids are eating it as a side as well.

M1 - Spinach, smoked chicken and cherry tomato scramble with half an avo and some aioli

M2- Hubby had some potato salad and smoked chicken, I picked at foods while I was doing more prep.

M3 - Paleo Running Momma's Bacon wrapped meatloaf and mushroom gravy with potato salad and some greens. (I made multiple of these meatloaves at once in the smoker and we'll use them for leftovers!)

I also bulk cooked PRM's Salisbury meatballs (but in rissole size) for future meals :)

IMG_5467.jpeg

CE304B08-A8E5-4830-81E4-D24FBA793CC3.jpeg

IMG_5473.jpeg

11th Jan - Day 4

M1 - Bacon, eggs and mixed salad (cherry tomatoes, carrots, spinach, kohlrabi and cucumber) with homemade aioli

M2 - Hubby had potato salad and leftover meatloaf, I had green apple and made myself some roasted cashew and almond butter, 2nd meals are hard for me.

M3 - Leftover Meatloaf with Smashed potatoes and Sautéed Broccolini with a drizzle of ghee.

So, 3 meals are hard for me, we've done intermittent fasting/two meals for so long now, my chronic nerve condition in my face doesn't help either because sometimes its just too much effort to eat.

The meatloaf though, is great for leftovers!

So it looks like I might need to link to pics elsewhere if people are still interested in me sharing!  I know photo bucket used to be a thing lol

I've been slack!

12th Jan

M1 Last of the meatloaf sautéed up with spinach and beetroot etc from the garden, Kajari Melon and some kohlrabi and tomato salad.

M2 I think I had a snack again and Hubby had leftover bits and pieces.

M3 Thai Chicken Red Curry with veg from the garden over cauliflower rice 

13th Jan

I picked a massive bunch of Basil from my garden and made whole30 pesto!

M1 Smoked Chicken over smashed potatoes with half an avo and a good dollop of basil pesto with some ghee.

M2 Hubby had half a roast butternut with some smoked chicken, I had a snack again.

M3 Hubby had half a roast butternut pumpkin with Pesto crusted prawns and a warm tomato, bacon and roasted garlic relish with some extra pesto, I had mine with some greens as I don't like pumpkin!

I have plenty of pics, I'll upload to my website tonight so I can share them here :)

Pain is still elevated, I'm not sure if it's where I am in my cycle or the diet yet, just powering through.  Thankyou for your thoughts though!

I have an instagram (OurSmallFootprint) but I'm working on getting my blog back up and running so I can host some food pics on there and share them here for you :)

15th Jan - Day 8

M1- Salad from the garden with some boiled eggs and garlic confit mayo and roasted tomato relish.

M2 - I smoked a big rolled pork leg in the smoker, I take the crackle and fat off it before smoking and I do big trays of potatoes with the fat/crackle on top low and slow in the oven, that way the lard is rendered (and I keep it in a jar for cooking) and we get crackle and potatoes for eating, I just picked at that for lunch.

M3 - Smoked Pork with potatoes and veg.

16th Jan - Day 9

M1 - Leftover pork with veg from the garden and Tomato Relish

M2 - I think the same as Breakfast ( I may not have eaten again )

M3 - Steak with Potato and greens/veg.

Pain seems to have tapered down a bit today, fx for it to continue.

M1 - Smoked Pork with Tomato Relish and Noodle beans/zucchini.

M2 - I didn't eat, hubby had some smoked pork and Salad.

M3 - Coconut and Almond Crusted Chicken with Steamed Veg and ghee, I also made some more mayo using the garlic confit and mixed through some basil pesto.

17th Jan - Day 10

I don't remember tbh, veg and smoked pork still I'd imagine, as we only just finished the last of the pork today.

18th Jan - Day 11

M1 - Fresh veg from the garden sautéed in ghee, with a fried egg and some cherry tomatoes

M2 - Probably nothing - It rained all day, I drank a lot of coffee

M3 - Rissoles (Paleo Running Momma's salisbury meatballs) with a sautéed veg mix same as the morning (Noodle Beans, Kohlrabi, new potatoes, beetroot, carrot, zucchini)

21st Jan - R1D14

M1 - Coffee

M2 - Pulled pork with fried eggs and sautéed beetroot, kohlrabi, snake beans and zucchini from the garden.

M3 - Zuppa Toscana, this will definitely be in the rotation regularly, and will be great in winter.  I may even can it, pre coconut cream/greens!

Pain levels are much more tolerable now, but I'm kind of in the lull before my next cycle, so I don't know if it's coincidence in that sense or not.

23rd Jan - R1D16

M1 - Coffee

M2 - Bacon, veg and Eggs

M3 - Beef Stroganoff w Mash

Snack - Plum and Kajari Melon

I just cannot get 3 meals in, I get up early and do all the gardening chores etc before I come in and do 'breakfast' at 10-11am'ish.  I can't seem to get around this, its too hot to do the outside stuff past that time, so it has to be done first thing.

I got my days mixed up, and the bunless burgers was the 29th, no idea... lol.

29th

30th - R1D23

M1 -

M2 - Veg, bacon and eggs.

M3 - Roasted Chicken, Mash, veg, confit mayo

Things are pretty hard now, we only shop monthly's, I have over a week till the next big shop.... food is hard, we're bored and over the regulars and sick of lack of fresh foods (we get veg from the garden each day, but its exactly the same veg, as we eat seasonally, so Beetroot, Kohlrabi, Noodle Beans and Zucchini (and plenty of tomatoes) are on the table atm.

Hubby has been able to stay off his reflux meds (and has lost a fair bit of weight, I know, not supposed to weigh!)

I have had absolutely no changes whatsoever, lost a bit of a sweet tooth by removing sugar from my coffee etc, and we've created some good habits (got rid of all the soft drink and cordial, I did make fermented ginger beer and stuff though)

But as per usual (with every 'dietary change' I ever try) I have had no NSV's or SV's so far. Pain levels have been the same, my psoriasis is still bad, headaches have still been on the cards, my monthly's are coming in just as bad as normal.  Sleep has been hit and miss, mood/behaviour has been the same (pain makes me snarky and I'm having pain issues most days again)

So, we'll continue on, and the plan is to move to a more paleo style diet next month, so that I can bake a bit and things like that.  I won't buy cordial or soft drink, we've managed to get rid of that and we'll keep that gone, and we will stick to coconut cream in our coffee, I might mix a little maple into each can of coconut milk and that way we're having very lightly sweetened coffee.

I'm also going to reintroduce fermented bread products (I make a lot of long ferment sourdough items, English muffins, flat breads, cinnamon scrolls, breads, pancakes etc)

31st R1D24

M1 - Coffee

M2 - Normal veg etc

M3 - Rissoles, Potato Tuna fritters and steamed veg

1st R1D25

M1 - Coffee and Banana

M2 - Normal veg etc

M3 - Leftover Tuna and potato fritters.

2nd R1D26

M1 - Coffee

M2 - Normal veg and leftover meats scramble with fresh eggs from our chooks.

M3 - I made up a recipe tonight, fried off some bacon, then some chicken breasts in salt, pepper and paprika.  Put them aside and fried off some cherry tomatoes from the garden till they burst, then added a can of coconut cream, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, homemade mustard and homemade pesto, brought it to a simmer, added the chicken and bacon back in.  Served it over leftover fried rice for the kids and over cauliflower rice for hubby and I, was very nice.

Archived