Grrrrr ...

Completed my second Whole30 last May and felt like, this is it. I have arrived. Peak health, here I come!

Nooope. The minute I relaxed my standards, I tumbled down a rabbit hole of junk food. So this time, my plan is to just keep going. Not that I'm planning on a WholeEternity - that would be a little impractical - but let's just see how far I can go.

The rationales:

1. While foods like grains and dairy do contain nutrition, I am not at the point where I have the willpower for reasonable serving sizes, and overindulgence leads to pain and discomfort.

2. Refined sugar does NOT contain nutrition. I have no brakes for sugary foods, and they give me nothing my body needs.

3. My dad's diabetes has gotten to the point where diet and medication can no longer keep it fully in check. This is to be avoided! 

The plan:

1. See how long an unbroken streak of compliant days I can do.

2. If, for whatever reason, I go off plan, go back on plan at the earliest opportunity. Also, make the healthiest choice while off plan, rather than using it as an excuse to go crazy.

3. Expand the range of on-plan foods I eat. There are certain things, like winter squash, sweet potatoes, and assorted kinds of greens that I've just never really liked. But I want to like them - they're so colorful and fun to grow in the garden! 

Things to do this week:

1. Get rid of remaining non-compliant foods in the house. I have half a container of freezer burnt ice cream that will definitely start calling my name soon ...

2. Choose a food ... I think I'll start with sweet potatoes ... buy one and cook it.

3. I feel like I should have a third thing here since I have three in the other sections. I've already done a meal plan and prepped some food. So ... check?

Hi @stealthstitcher welcome back!  

I didn't eat sweet potatoes before W30, now I absolutely love them.  I eat them at breakfast, browned gently in ghee then roasted until tender in the oven, about 10 - 15 minutes depending on how small you've diced them.  I like them with my eggs, some prosciutto for a flavour hit and a bit of fried kale, which is another veg I didn't eat before but love it now.  I also love sweet potatoes mashed with ghee on top of my shepherd's pie.  I often mash them with other root vegetables too (white potatoes and/or carrots and/or turnips or rutabagas), just add ghee and salt for an easy side dish with steak, pork chops, etc.  I hope that you can find a way to enjoy them.  

Day 1 went well - didn't try anything new, just some old standbys - eggs and broccoli, meatball vegetable soup, and chicken stir fry. A friend got me a tiny little lunchwarmer crockpot for my office, which is awesome - I can pack my soup in the removable inner section, put it in the crock pot at work and warm it up for lunch without needing to wait for a turn at the janky old microwave in the main office, and then take the empty inner container home to wash and refill. Truly a useful little item.

12 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

I didn't eat sweet potatoes before W30, now I absolutely love them.  I eat them at breakfast, browned gently in ghee then roasted until tender in the oven, about 10 - 15 minutes depending on how small you've diced them.  I like them with my eggs, some prosciutto for a flavour hit and a bit of fried kale, which is another veg I didn't eat before but love it now.  I also love sweet potatoes mashed with ghee on top of my shepherd's pie.  I often mash them with other root vegetables too (white potatoes and/or carrots and/or turnips or rutabagas), just add ghee and salt for an easy side dish with steak, pork chops, etc.  I hope that you can find a way to enjoy them.  

All sounds excellent! I was debating on putting them in a dish with other ingredients, mixing them with white potatoes or something, or just cooking them by themselves. I think in the past when I've tried them, I always just treated them the same way I would white, yellow, or red potatoes - same cooking method, same seasoning. And then when I ate them, my taste buds would go "This is not a potato! Something is wrong!"

1 hour ago, stealthstitcher said:

And then when I ate them, my taste buds would go "This is not a potato! Something is wrong!"

@stealthstitcher sweet potatoes are in fact not a true potato, but from a different vegetable family.  You probably already know this, but I didn't until W30.  Once I learned this, I re-framed my attitude towards them.  I use regular potatoes as a carb substitute and therefor I try to limit them.  Regular potatoes also belong in the edible nightshades family of vegetables, another reason I try to limit them.  With Sweet potatoes however, it's no holds barred!  I eat as much as I want without having any reservations.

I love the idea of the mini crockpot, never heard of that before.  Well done on finishing Day 1.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

@stealthstitcher Regular potatoes also belong in the edible nightshades family of vegetables, another reason I try to limit them. 

Many of my favorite foods are nightshades ... it sounds so sinister! Fun fact, when I moved into my house the back yard was overrun - and I mean overrun - with poisonous nightshade. Like, nightshade instead of grass. I actually did some research before planting a garden just to make sure it couldn't accidentally cross polinate my tomatoes and peppers. 

Yesterday was a day. It was so cold and I wanted hot cocoa! Also I didn't pack quite enough lunch and was super hungry by mid-afternoon. The first time I did Whole30 I had no appetite for quite a while. It was all I could do to eat an egg and a half for breakfast and I definitely didn't finish my vegetables at most meals. Now three eggs feels like a modest serving and a head of broccoli might need another vegetable to supplement it. 

I've also found, unlike my first time around, that both my second and this third whole30 (all three days of it so far) are easier in terms of my body adjusting. I expect things like grocery shopping and meal prep to become easier as I gain more experience, but the first time I did whole30 my body was like, What is happening?!? And now, it's like, Oh, we're doing this again? No problem, let me just flip the switch. I mean, I'll take it but it's a bit surprising. My mind still has challenges, but my digestive system has no issues. I haven't even had a headache, and I was all in on the sugary baked goods over the holidays. (I'm probably jinxing it and tomorrow will be a disaster ...)

I still haven't picked up any sweet potatoes - it's cold and I don't want to stop at the store! 

Sweet potatoes acquired! 

It was a struggle to not grab a "treat" at the store. Not because of the intense cravings but because I've been doing that automatically every time I get groceries. Need to pick up some groceries, grab something sugary on the way out. You know, body, it's not really a treat if you have it so often that you grab it on autopilot and eat it without thinking about it. 

I have a weird schedule on my Tuesdays and Thursdays right now - no matter when I take a lunch break, it will always be 7 hours away from one meal. I can either eat lunch 7 hours after breakfast but shortly before supper, or shortly after breakfast but 7 hours before supper. Neither choice fills me with joy so I'm taking a third option - eat half of lunch during two short breaks. It's not perfectly ideal, but I don't think I have the willpower to not snack or grab fast food on the way home if I have that long between meals right now. It annoys me because I like to have a consistent schedule, but I suppose I should really try to be more mentally flexible. It's not a good idea for me to be too rigid about my routine. 

Did not time my cooking well last night. Sauteed assorted vegetables and was apparently not paying attention to when I put them in, so I had soggy zucchini, crunchy cauliflower, and burnt onions. I usually try to stagger when I put them in the pan so they all get to the same level of doneness at once, but that did not happen last night. And then the chicken took forever to get done in the oven so I just ate my vegetables first so they woudln't get cold or soggier. Eh, the texture wasn't great, but put some ghee and salt and pepper on things and they're still pretty okay. 

Very low energy yesterday, so I just had eggs and vegetables for supper and didn't tackle the sweet potatoes yet. Am I putting them off? Maybe a little ... Sometimes I have what is almost a slight fear reaction to trying foods - scary foods! It's not at all a rational thing - after all, if I really don't like it I can just not eat it. And I've had sweet potatoes before and it's not like a hate them - more like, eh, I don't really like this that much. It's not like they're fish heads or something.

Very sleepy last night and went to bed early, but then couldn't sleep and had a restless night.