Puffy hands and achy finger joints.

Slewelf

Hi all, I’m on R4D8 and my hands have been puffy/swollen since Thursday evening. Like too puffy to wear my rings and noticeable when I make a fist swollen. I’ve had inflammation in my fingers before that cause the joints to ache but they haven’t been this puffy before. Any idea if I’m missing something or reacting to anything? Meals for the last three days: 

Friday breakfast: three eggs, handful of spinach scrambled in olive oil, 1/2 avocado, compliant salsa, coffee. 
Pre run snack: two mandarins 

lunch: chicken curry over cauliflower rice. 

dinner: sous vide pork belly, roasted potatoes, Brussels sprouts. 

Saturday breakfast: compliant Larabar, coffee, and kombucha (I was traveling and only food I had available)

lunch: chipotle Whole30 bowl with chicken, cauliflower rice, guac and salsa. 

dinner: Cauliflower gnocchi, salmon, and compliant kale pesto. 

Sunday brunch: 3 eggs, handful spinach, 1/2 avocado, 2 slices bacon, coffee. 

mini meal/snack: 2 mandarins and small handful dry roasted hazelnuts. 

dinner: zuppa toscana soup with chicken sausage, potatoes, and kale. 

Monday breakfast: roasted sweet potatoes, kale, sausage, 1/2 avocado, salsa, and coffee. 

lunch: left over zuppa toscana

dinner: chicken thighs, spring greens, avocado, blueberries, and Whole30 elderberry vinaigrette. 

Nothing I’m eating is new or out of the ordinary for me. I just replace grains and legumes with more vegetables during Whole30. 

I’m fairly active and usually drink 80-100oz of water a day along with adding some salt to my meals (something I struggle with). 

Any thoughts on what might cause the puffy hands? Not sure if it’s diet related but nothing else has changed so trying figure out how to make it better. 

• Moderators

This might be something you want to talk to a doctor about just to be sure it's not a sign of something that food won't fix.

That said, it could be a sensitivity to something you're eating more of now. Is there anything you feel like you've been eating more of than usual? It can be hard to track this kind of stuff down, unfortunately, since all you can really do is either cut out a whole bunch of stuff, and if that fixes it, add things back one at a time and try to find the culprit; or keep eating the way you are and keep careful notes about when symptoms are better or worse and try to find a pattern in the foods on those days.

• 1 year later...

I am having the exact same issue.  I even get bumps/sores on my fingers that are very tender.  This is my 2nd time doing whole30 and my fingers started swelling around day 4.  I have had swelling in the past which I attributed to inflammation in general.  I've cut out bad oils which helped somewhat.  I wonder if this time my body is doing a deeper detox and toxins are coming out by my hands swelling.  It's very frustrating to say the least esp. when I'm eating SO well!  I'm now also wondering if this is related to a food sensitivity.  I plan to do a food sensitivity test.    

On 1/25/2022 at 1:18 PM, JulDo said:

I am having the exact same issue.  I even get bumps/sores on my fingers that are very tender.  This is my 2nd time doing whole30 and my fingers started swelling around day 4.  I have had swelling in the past which I attributed to inflammation in general.  I've cut out bad oils which helped somewhat.  I wonder if this time my body is doing a deeper detox and toxins are coming out by my hands swelling.  It's very frustrating to say the least esp. when I'm eating SO well!  I'm now also wondering if this is related to a food sensitivity.  I plan to do a food sensitivity test.    

How do you do a food sensitivity test?

Archived