Red wine vinegar

Coleen79

I have been very cautious with reading labels/ingredients. I’ve also done this cleanse once before.  I use red wine vinegar often and was under the impression that all vinegars except malt were okay, so I didn’t look at label of it.  I’m now on day nine and see where the brand I was using had sulfites. I really don’t want to start over. Is it imperative that I do? 

Oh boy @Coleen79 - what an absolute bummer! I've been there - I assumed all baba ganoush was made with just compliant ingredients and was on my 2nd tub of a particularly delicious brand ( :( ) when I discovered sour cream in the ingredients. GAAAAH!

I think you can find the official stance here:  https://whole30.com/start-over/

For me, it comes down to what your goals for the program are. With the great cream incidence (day 9), my goal for the program was to be hyper-compliant and do a proper W30 reset so, it got turned into a W39 and I felt great.

Today, if I were to discover sulfites in my vinegar, I would ignore it and carry on because, after 4 W30s, I know sulfites aren't problematic for me and it's not as important that I do a strict W30. I'd be pissed off mind you, but I wouldn't start over.

Whtever you decide, I'm cheering you on!

17 hours ago, Coleen79 said:

I have been very cautious with reading labels/ingredients. I’ve also done this cleanse once before.  I use red wine vinegar often and was under the impression that all vinegars except malt were okay, so I didn’t look at label of it.  I’m now on day nine and see where the brand I was using had sulfites. I really don’t want to start over. Is it imperative that I do? 

Can you post a picture of the ingredients? Because "contains suflites" doesn't automatically make the vinegar a no-go since sulfites occur naturally in vinegars (like naturally occurring glutamate in tomatoes is OK but added MSG is not). 

So, a vinegar that's ok may say something like "Ingredients: red wine vinegar reduced with water to 5% acidity (contains sulfites)" and that's ok. But if it says something like "Ingredients: red wine vinegar, sulfur dioxide" that's not okay because it's a separate ingredient. 

21 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

Can you post a picture of the ingredients? Because "contains suflites" doesn't automatically make the vinegar a no-go since sulfites occur naturally in vinegars (like naturally occurring glutamate in tomatoes is OK but added MSG is not). 

So, a vinegar that's ok may say something like "Ingredients: red wine vinegar reduced with water to 5% acidity (contains sulfites)" and that's ok. But if it says something like "Ingredients: red wine vinegar, sulfur dioxide" that's not okay because it's a separate ingredient. 

Thank you so much for clarifying this as red wine vinegar is something that I buy a lot and the particular brand I used to buy isn't available anymore and I've found that what I can find says exactly this "contains sulfites" which made me think it wasn't allowed.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:28 AM, laura_juggles said:

I already threw the bottle out lol! But I’m good to go, on day 17 and I feel fabulous! ❤️

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, daviesjoan54 said:

Oh, shoot, that sounds so complicated !!! So I don't worry about it... My sister is always watching this and she, after reading this thread, said that she had a similar problem.

First, this is a family friendly forum so lets not curse - i've edited your post.

Second, it CAN be complicated but it is worth worrying about if you're wanting to do the program as written to get the best benefits out of it.  Also, once you know that 'contains sulfites' is compatible but sulfites listed in the ingredients is NOT compatible, it's not that complicated.

Oh, I'm sorry! Sorry for the expletive! So  My sister is always watching this and she, after reading this thread, said that she had a similar problem. I just like to drink wine in terms of pleasure, haha. And it is suitable from the point of view of chemistry and it is quite strange. Sulfites and sulfates, what's the difference? I would like to understand this, but it's really very difficult guys...  My sister is always looking at the wine label and keeping track of it all.

Archived