Day 13 - Still extremely tired & trouble concentrating

sholmes

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this. This is my 5th W30...but it's been about 2 years since I've done one. When I think about previous experiences, I remember feeling pretty darn good once I got through the rough patch of the first 5-10 days. This time seems different to me...I'm on day 13 and while I'm experiencing some positives (e.g., I'm more regular and less bloated), I'm still extremely tired (waking up to an alarm after 8+ hours of sleep with big bags under my eyes) and I'm finding it hard to feel motivated and focused. I know I'm not at "tiger blood" yet in the timeline but I feel like I usually experience more positive outcomes at this point than I am now. Here's an example of my daily meals in case there's something in there:

B - smoothie but not full of fruit...typically 1-2 handfuls of spinach, unsweetened almond milk, cup of strawberries, collagen protein, 1/2 an avocado

L - buffalo chicken w/ rice...chicken, cauliflower rice, mayo/ranch/coconut milk/hot sauce mix

D - sausage and kale casserole or chicken and potato casserole...both have protein, veggies and fat in them

I'm drinking at least 3 liters of water a day and if I snack, I'm having a handful of nuts w/shredded coconut. I am working out but not every day...either a 20 mins bike ride or lifting session. 

The holidays were a little rough but if I go back before that, I feel like I was feeling better in almost every regard...except bathroom habits. Please help...I'm tempted to quit but I wanted to check here first to see what people thought. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Sorry you're having a rougher time this time!

It honestly doesn't look like you're eating enough.  I would switch out the smoothie for a chewed breakfast... the half an avocado is great but 1-2 handfuls of spinach is about a biteful when it gets chewed/wilted down... think about steaming or sauteeing spinach.  Also, chewed food lasts longer in the system and digests differently than liquid food and while not considered incompatible, smoothies are not recommended. (https://whole30.com/rules-recommendations/)

Also, we recommend 1-3 cups of veggies per meal... I'm not sure how you make casseroles but you might want to put some additional veg alongside of those casseroles... especially the ones that are the potato ones - add some non starchy veg to that meal.  As far as fat in a casserole, again, don't forget that whatever you've added in to the dish is split between the portions so again, you might be low on fats.

All in all, I suspect you're under eating which can definitely make you feel tired, logy and unfocussed. 

Archived