Whole30 to help regain balance

MamaDrew

Hi, I started the Whole30 because I wanted to get healthier. Not really lose weight (although that wouldn't hurt!) but more to eat healthier and know that I wasn't ruining my workouts with the food I was eating. I also drank a lot. I am married, work full time, have 2 step-kids, normal life I know but things can get crazy. So my go-to stress relief was always wine. I had gotten to the point where I was having a bottle of wine each night. I didn't feel like I could deal with life's stress without it. As I got closer to starting my Whole30 I was worried that would be the hardest part for me. I'm on day 8 and luckily it hasn't been as hard as I feared. Last night was the first night where I REALLY wanted wine, but I didn't do it. I think this whole journey is not only helping me get in better health but it's also helping me restore some balance to my life and hopefully breaking the unhealthy habit of self-mediating. I still have 3 more weeks to so we'll see how it goes! Even after the Whole30 is done I want to continue eating Paleo and not fall back into my previous eating and drinking habits. Is anyone doing the Whole30 for similar reasons? Any helpful tips?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I didn't have wine as a crutch, but sweets, definitely. I wanted to do this so my body wouldn't WANT to crave all the sweets. Make it so my body could function in top-notch form. So far, I'm still waiting for that to come. I've been exhausted, and since I'm in a musical right now, my sleep has been limited to about 7ish hours a night. I want the endless energy now! Haha.

Aside from craving the wine last night, how have you been feeling? Tired? Less focused? Strangely energize? Anything?

I'm on day 8 as well, so what would you say to being Whole30 buddies? :)

I'm kind of in the same boat. I didn't have wine as a crutch, but sweets, definitely. I wanted to do this so my body wouldn't WANT to crave all the sweets. Make it so my body could function in top-notch form. So far, I'm still waiting for that to come. I've been exhausted, and since I'm in a musical right now, my sleep has been limited to about 7ish hours a night. I want the endless energy now! Haha.

Aside from craving the wine last night, how have you been feeling? Tired? Less focused? Strangely energize? Anything?

I'm on day 8 as well, so what would you say to being Whole30 buddies? :)

Whole30 buddies sounds great! :) Other than last nights wine craving I feel good. I have been tired, and I did get a few minor headaches around days 4-5 but luckily those went away. I have not gotten any insane energy yet so that will be nice when/if that happens. I've read a few posts on here from people who said they never had that feeling. I read that article that was posted telling you what to expect each day and I don't think the crazy energy came until the 3rd week if I remember correctly, so we have a bit more and then hopefully we'll both experience it!! My gym is also starting a Whole30 on the 19th I believe so I'll probably keep mine going a bit longer than 30 days. I think a Whole60 would be great. I figure it's only day 8 so not noticing anything drastic is ok. I did have my body composition done at the gym but she wouldn't tell me what I'm at. After I finish she will do it again and then I can see the difference. I think that will be good, I don't want to be overly focused on a number. While I would love to love about 10 pounds it's not my big motivating factor here.

But... but... *lip quivers* I was hoping for an awesome energy spike. :S Haha, I hope we both get it in the third week, for sure!

That's cool that your gym is going to do the Whole30 too. I'd definitely be interested to hear about your body composition test and the difference! That would be fascinating! I wish I had done something like that.

I broke up with the scale a few months ago so I didn't even know how much I weighed when I started this. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting (since we can't even measure). I've already noticed that I don't have to wriggle to get into my slacks as much anymore. Just something to consider. :)

My worry now is that I have a sinus infection and my appetite generally goes down. And I usually help treat it with a lot of chicken noodle soup and saltines. Can't really do that now. Grrrrrrr....

Hey ladies! Congrats on doing the W30. I started mine in November for similiar reasons and really enjoyed it. It was tough at times, but well worth it in the end. If you haven't already, I suggest reading Melissa & Dallas's book, It Starts With Food. It's really informative and it helped me stay motivated throughout the program. I also subscribed to the Whole30 Daily which I'd read every morning before starting my day.

Don't be discouraged that you aren't hitting those energy highs you've read about. Somewhere during the program my body started adapting and I noticed that I was feeling much better than I had been. I wasn't falling asleep on the couch at 7PM anymore and I could make it through the afternoons without feeling like I needed to take a nap at my desk. I also felt more energetci because I felt more confident and better about my new habits, my body, and my health! It'll happen for you.

Best of luck to you both!

I had a lot of similar issue with food and drink. I'm definitely an emotional eater and since the last few months I've been drinking more than normal. And more than I should have been, really. So I'm going to focus on this 30 then put my efforts into keeping myself eating clean and probably will stay away from alcohol completely. I find that when I give myself a treat, like some wine, one glass quickly turns into two glasses, and once per week turns into twice, three, etc etc. Just not how I want to be, I need to whip my self control into shape. So far on day 5 I'm missing sweets but I also just started my period so.... fairly normal for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ladies,

It seems we are all having similar issues. I am on Day 14 and am starting to have serious cravings. I recognize that they are completely emotional cravings as I am not hungry (and am definitely eating enough).

What day are you all on now? I had a huge increase in energy and decrease in bloating, but suddenly the tables have turned. I think I snacked on too many nuts and too much fruit the past couple of days, because I am starting to feel blah again. I don't plan on restarting my Whole30, but I really want to kick things up a notch for my last two weeks.

I hope things are going well for all of you :)

K

Archived