Beyond Bloated

Lala1014

Hi All,

This is my second whole30 and since day one I have been incredibly bloated with the worst gas you could probably imagine (it’s so bad that it’s making me want to avoid my boyfriend).

I don’t eat nuts because I’m allergic to them and even with my regular/processed food diet I always eat an abundance of vegetables and fruit. 

I’m on day 13 and to say the least, I’m pretty miserable.  I take digestive enzymes at every meal and I’ve even drank special tea for digestion (the tea seems to help but it doesn’t make it go away).

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening or has anyone experienced this and have any advice for me?  I’m desperate at this point.

I am in a similar situation so want to follow this thread for any helpful advice. Have you heard of FODMAPs? It's a category of foods including onion/garlic and various fruits and vegetables with no particular logic that are known to cause gas, particularly for people with IBS. I do not have that diagnosis but wonder if this lens could help understand which foods trigger digestive issues. The other lens I am pondering is food combining, for example mixing fruit with protein I think is not advised (which I did yesterday pretty severely with banana, prunes, eggs and chicken all for one giant "snack").... but again, I don't really know, I'm in the same boat! (In my case it's been OK but yesterday/today it got pretty bad, so that's why I'm checking out the forum). I hope someone can comment here with more solid information!

Diana I have heard of fodmap and I will literally cry if that’s the case.  I also mix fruit with protein so I’m wondering if that’s what it is.  I haven’t had any fruit yet today though and I’m still having the same issue so I’m not sure what the cause may be.  Let’s cross our fingers that someone can shed some light!

• Moderators

Are you eating a lot more of something now that you don't normally eat? Cauliflower rice, avocado, nut milks etc? I would also suggest cutting back on the fruit if you're eating a lot of it, that can be troubling to the gut...

@Diana128there are no rules or recommendations around 'food combining' in the Whole30 outside of the recommendation to eat protein, fat and veg at every meal. If you're having bloating problems, I would probably remove those prunes for the time being.

I had this horrible problem when I ate my Lara bar that had just dates and cashews. I find that the sugar from the dates was affecting me along with my small box or raisins. Keep eating the veggies, fat and protein and drink a lot of water. I would also avoid sugary fruit like dates, prunes, raisins, pineapple,  and mangoes. I would just stick with berries and green apples if you really need something sweet. Good luck!! I know it isn’t pleasant.

Archived