Starting Friday, January 22, 2021

Robbie Robs

Hi Robbie, I'd like to join you! I did my irst round a couple of years ago and it brought me a whole lot of energy, but food freedom was a bit of a challenge. My sugar dragon and old (bad) habits are stronger than I expected... I hope to be able to fight back now. How about you, have you tried the whole30 before??

I'm a couple days ahead of you, RobbieRobs & MyW30. I started on Tuesday. So far, so good. But I can feel that today will be much more challenging. I'm off work today and around my house. I have 3 teens/young adults & a husband who love their junk food and aren't willing to try Whole 30. My 20 yo backed a cake last night that still has the kitchen smelling delicious. :wacko: 

Hi all, has anyone tips & tricks for visiting friends.and family and eat together? I find it hard to force them into a whole30 meal (and some of them act kinda annoyed about that too...), But I also don't wanna cheat. I know I could bring my own meal, but that doesn't feel the same .. how do you handle these situations? 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, MyW30 said:

Hi all, has anyone tips & tricks for visiting friends.and family and eat together? I find it hard to force them into a whole30 meal (and some of them act kinda annoyed about that too...), But I also don't wanna cheat. I know I could bring my own meal, but that doesn't feel the same .. how do you handle these situations? 

Are you cooking the  meal?  If so, there are loads of meals you can make that are technically Whole30 but also 'regular' food.  Roast a chicken, make roasted veggies and even mashed potatoes and then maybe they have gravy and you don't... you could even make a cranberry sauce sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar.. OMG, now I want that!

Maybe make something like Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata ... it's hearty and friggen delicious and if you just serve it with a nice salad no one is going to balk at the fact that it's Whole30... Maybe give us an idea of what you normally eat with these groups and we can help find some substitutions.  OR, you CAN bring your own food and just eat with them... my family does that often if someone is an outlier and doesn't want to bother the group with changes.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Maybe make something like Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata ... it's hearty and friggen delicious and if you just serve it with a nice salad no one is going to balk at the fact that it's Whole30

@SugarcubeOD OMG thank you for reminding me of this recipe, I made it years ago and it’s delicious!!!! Going to get eggplants I have everything else! 

On 1/29/2021 at 12:51 AM, MyW30 said:

@MyW30Depending on who is hosting, I would ask what they are planning on having and then determine if they can leave off ingredients you cannot eat. For example, sprinkling cheese on vegetables or putting cheese or croutons in salad, can they just leave it on the side and then add what they want to their dish? Of course, always bring something compliant - appetizer or side dish. I like things like veggie platter, shrimp or meatballs and a dipping sauce on the side, so you can have a compliant sauce and they can have sugary or dairy dip if they want. Just be careful of sneaky items, like if they are making BBQ or teriyaki and there’s ingredients you can’t have. Good luck! 

Archived