Is it the nuts or nah

Hi! This is my first Whole 30 and I'm 20 days in. I had surgery last month, so with exercising being limited, I wanted to make it a priority to eat healthier. Aside from ice cream and cheese + crackers, I usually eat pretty healthy (greens, nuts, fruit, little meat). I was hoping that this far into the program I'd feel some of the great side effects, but I don't have any more energy than when I started, and I haven't weighed, but my body looks the same if not more bloated than it did prior to starting the program. I'm also currently not on birth control (first time in nearly 10 years) due to blood clots post-surgery. Any idea what's going on? Typical day listed below. Am I going too heavy on the nuts? Think it's related to not getting my normal hormones from birth control? Any insight would help :) 

Breakfast: Tea, egg, homemade smoothie (no nut butter) OR chicken sausage

Lunch: Leftovers -- W30 casserole, jackfruit, etc. 

Snack: RX bar OR frozen banana + almond butter

Dinner: Casserole/chicken salad/something butternut squash related/etc. 

(Snack #2 on occasion: raisins & almonds) 

• Moderators

Hormonal stuff could for sure be a factor,  it's hard to know exactly how that's affecting you,, but i do see a couple of things you could try food-wise to see if it makes a difference. 

If you suspect nuts are part of the problem, you could definitely try cutting back on them. For fats, try olives or mayo or any oil- or mayo-based sauces or dips instead.

Smoothies aren't really the best choice, here's what the Can I Have list says about them: 

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compatible on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

So, maybe start with subbing a meal instead of that at breakfast, and remember that if eggs are your only protein in a meal, you should have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, probably 3-4.

Your meals ideally should keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours, so most people find they don't need snacks, but if you do, either because you have a long stretch between meals or because some days you're just more hungry, try to have a mini meal with some protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Archived