Really nice dinner again tonight, we had meatloaf (very American my kids said!) from a nom nom paleo recipe, with mashed potato and veg. Real comfort food! And I made myself a cake (of sorts) with ground almond, coconut, raisins and cinnamon and natural vanilla. Add an egg and some dairy free spread. It was actually really nice, crumbly texture and despite having no sugar was sweet enough. I had it with a spoonful of coconut cream. I have frozen the rest in slices to have at another time though. 

I’m still struggling a bit with my very low mood but I feel a bit brighter today. I am actually feeling a cold starting which could explain my vociferous appetite the last few days, and I went for a nap at 3.30 after picking the children up- something I almost never ever do. So hopefully I’ll feel a bit better tomorrow. 

I’ve cooked a fair bit the last few days so I now have in the fridge: half a roast chicken, half a meatloaf, some cooked veg and a big ratatouille so enough to mix and match breakfast and lunch for the next few days (ratatouille with eggs for tomorrow’s evening meal) 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been busy in here! I've had three very long work days, so no time for anything fun. Eventually things will ease up, surely. I have never been this busy at work... I decided not to do intros

And let’s not forget that when someone says ‘no thank you, I am trying to eat less X’ everyone looks down at their big plate of X and thinks ‘maybe I should eat less X too’ (and deep down they probabl

@becs what an incredible view!! Glad you’ve had a better day.  I ordered a Well Fed cook book after reading about it on here and I’m excited for that to arrive. Today I’ve made a slow cooked curry

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

And I made myself a cake (of sorts) with ground almond, coconut, raisins and cinnamon and natural vanilla. Add an egg and some dairy free spread. It was actually really nice, crumbly texture and despite having no sugar was sweet enough. I had it with a spoonful of coconut cream.

That sounds delicious....I actually have all the ingredients, except for the spread do you have a recipe to share? Sometimes I just need a snack type food with complaint ingredients for those days when you need a treat instead of sliding into gluten free grains! 

I just heard on the news that we have gained an hour of daylight...so maybe all our moods will improve as it continues to get lighter at night!

@christine19 I made it up myself, but I used around 120g ground almonds, probably around 50g of the spread, melted. Lots of cinnamon, few handfuls of raisins, some baking powder and 2 eggs. Oh and some desiccated coconut. It was a thick cake-mix consistency. A tiny sprinkle of salt can, oddly, give it a sweet flavour. Grease a tin and bake (you’ll have to judge that yourself, I put mine in next to my meatloaf so it was around 180c for around 25 mins). It was nice and I ate it still hot with some coconut cream. 
I know it’s a SWYPO really, however if you decide you’re not (ever) eating grains or sugar again, then swypo is the only S on the menu so.... it’s got to do! I find there is an abundance of paleo recipes for baking however they all have honey, or “natural sweeteners”  in them. If you find compliant dried fruit you can chop up and add to the mix and make quite a dense fruit cake/tea loaf (soak the fruit in strong black tea for a while) type thing as well using a similar  base.  I did briefly consider whether I could have used the batter and made pancake type things instead (it’s shrove Tuesday next week!) 

it’s Thursday morning here, (this has been the longest week ever!) and I feel a lot better today. Slept better. My meals are planned for the day and I’m going into school to get a big task signed off and off my desk prior to the half term break beginning tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I know it’s a SWYPO really, however if you decide you’re not (ever) eating grains or sugar again, then swypo is the only S on the menu so.... it’s got to do! I find there is an abundance of paleo recipes for baking however they all have honey, or “natural sweeteners”  in them.

@Rebecca001The only S on the menu! LOL Thank you and I agree would make a nice pancake, I may try adding the raisins and coconut to my almond flour pancakes to keep it to one serving. I agree that all the paleo recipes have too much sweetener. 

The other day, I had one pea protein shake with stevia (which was fine) and then in the sprit of a reintro, added stevia to my tea at night and it was terrible! Tasted like chemicals and not sweet at all. Amazing what has happened to my taste buds! 

W42 for me - @christine19 - are you counting January 31 as Day 1 of the second W30? Seems you may be farther ahead than you think because you're with me :) 

I'm back to working on my WHOLELORNA (and will put it out there when I am done @SugarcubeOD - I am stealing your WHOLEDARCY idea.) My work right now is "what would make eating something worth it?" Right now the People Pleaser rule that I have is to eat what's put in front of me and don't make a fuss about it. Because of covid, I haven't had to deal with that at all during these 42 days but an example of this happened last October. My mother's headstone had been placed and we were to gather in a week for the internment of my uncle so my sister and I decided to go out and plant fall  flowers on all the relatives' gravesites. My sister said she'd pack us a picnic since there are no restaurants open and I reminded her that I didn't eat legumes nor dairy. So, she arrives with a prepared salad that included grated cheddar cheese and black beans, falafels! and cheesecake tarts. ... ... ... and I ate it without comment and suffered through it. So, that disempowering and ineffective People Pleasing based rule has to be examined more critically because THAT IS NOT A GOOD REASON TO EAT SOMETHING!

What about all of you? What do think is a good reason to eat something?

12 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

W42 for me - @christine19 - are you counting January 31 as Day 1 of the second W30? Seems you may be farther ahead than you think because you're with me :) 

Lorna! You are correct! Maybe it’s better I lost count LOL

14 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I won’t eat gluten or dairy even if someone prepared it. But now with W30 I actually avoided going to my sister-in-laws for a meal earlier this month so I wouldn’t have a conversation about what else I’m not eating. I am probably missing right now the most, jasmine rice and GF pasta, which actually doesn’t even taste that good! And the booze - I could come up with better reasons to drink than eat rice! Cheers! 

@Lorna from Canada that’s a tricky one for a lot of people I’m sure; I think we’ve self elected to avoid foods it makes it even harder as we don’t want to appear fussy, ungrateful and awkward. 

I need to work on my Food freedom rules. I must admit, I’m finding that element really hard this time. I can’t seem to break this habit of wandering into the kitchen and eating when I’m not hungry. Bored eating. Stress eating. My food is 100% compliant and so I feel grateful for that, but I know I am eating more than I need to and for the wrong reasons and I think that has really affected my ‘tiger blood’ this time round. I’m considering another full 30 but really focussing on the meal template - but that needs something inside my head to ‘click’ because I know this already but then I wander in and eat a handful of grapes and some chicken because...well...because. 

my mood is significantly improved today after a good nights sleep and I am going to go to bed early again tonight. But yes. I am definitely considering another round from Monday (I mean, it could be from tomorrow really as I’m not planning any reintroduction or anything, although I might have a glass of champagne on Valentine’s hence the wait til Monday). I am going to have to not buy anything that drives that ‘no brakes’ mentality, compliant or not for it to be successful. 

19 hours ago, christine19 said:

I just heard on the news that we have gained an hour of daylight...so maybe all our moods will improve as it continues to get lighter at night!

A big halleluia from me! It's the time of year where I start noticing the longer evening and I feel brighter.

12 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I know it’s a SWYPO really, however if you decide you’re not (ever) eating grains or sugar again, then swypo is the only S on the menu so.... it’s got to do!

I'm all for some SWYPOs in my post W60 life :) My FWNBs are well known to me and they won't be SWYPOed in my diet - how do you SWYPO a jujube or a curly wurly anyway? My SWYPOs will be crackers (savory bisquit Rebecca!) since I know gluten free crackers are not that FWNBish for me - open a box of Ritz and it's a different story. So, I am totes with you on having a SWYPO treat now and again and that cake sounded delicious! Note to self for March 2!

Your mood has improved Rebecca and mine has worsened - I hate everything today. Really really grumpy and so over this perpetual lockdown I could scream. Hubs is making me dinner and I think I will get to bed earlier as well. Hoping tomorrow is a more typical mood day for me!

Where's @becs? How's the reintro going? Any new discoveries?

This is how bad it is in my grumpy head today. 

Hubs just came into the room and said "huh, it's a long weekend this weekend!" 

I stared blankly while I tried to figure out what month we're in to determine what long weekend it might be. In my poor, pandemic addled brain, I actually started with "Well, it can't be Victoria Day because I don't think it's May..." Took me 15 seconds to land on Family Day. 

oh boy

Happy Family Day @SugarcubeOD and @ladyshanny since you're the only 2 other Canada peeps I know on the forum. 

Random question regarding canned soup. It’s always been difficult for me to find soup without dairy and gluten. One of my preW30 go-to soups was Amy’s organic vegetable soup - I have 10 cans in the basement from my pandemic stock up! But there’s corn in it. Thoughts on picking out the corn and then having the soup? Corn bothers me, but wonder how much of it gets infused in the broth. 

Ingredients: filtered water, organic diced tomatoes, organic carrots, organic green beans, organic corn, organic peas, organic spinach, organic onions, organic celery, sea salt, organic black pepper.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

You know, I actually think I think about this in the opposite way - Why is eating this not a good idea - if I can't come up with any reasonable answers, then its in.  BUT! Almost every crappy thing I like to eat disrupts my sleep which I cannot abide and/or gives me the runs... It's SUPER FUN when it's bad sleep punctuated by dashing to the bathroom all night!

My 'thing' is ice cream... it's not something I can ever have in a limited quantity and therefore I do try to keep it out of my mind/freezer. It is easier for me since I live alone so if I don't buy it then I don't have to battle it at home.  Other things are dairy (cheese, sour cream) but those are immediate stomach killers. I don't have much of a thing for nuts or crunchy or salty or chips or that kind of snack food so when they are 'on the table' I'm fairly disciplined around them.

I do find that when I'm on my A game for meal prepping and having food in the fridge, the question 'will xyz serve me better than the food I made' is also a good one because I bought and paid for that food, spent time cooking/preparing it and I don't want it to go to waste so... usually the answer is no, xyz will not serve me better than what I already have.

Pandemic time is making this all sound so easy tho cause I never go anywhere or do anything so it's actually a really good time to work on becoming strong in those questions for me - like ingraining in my mind/body the if/then answers to questions so when the world opens up again, it's just a habit!

40 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Happy Family Day @SugarcubeOD and @ladyshanny since you're the only 2 other Canada peeps I know on the forum. 

Happy Family Day to you @Lorna from Canada! What are you doing to celebrate? I think @ladyshannyand I are going to do some sister things tomorrow to celebrate and Feb 14th is my late kitty cat Charlie Fluffypants' birthday so I'll probably just be cuddling his sister extra hard that day. Otherwise, what is time really when you can't go anywhere or do anything... Netflix anyone??

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Rebecca001 said:

Ooooh what is “family day”?? Never heard of that before! 

@christine19 I suppose you could pick it out and see how you are after eating it? Of all the veg, you’d think corn kernels were the least likely to ‘leak’ into the soup - they aren’t exactly a mushy veg are they? 

It's a made up holiday that provinces in Canada fought for because we had no public holidays between January 1st and Easter (which is in April this year). I think every province in Canada has it but it's not all on the same day because it's a Provincial holiday, not Federal and some of us just couldn't pick the same day as everyone else! (That's BC... we're a special lot).

6 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

falafels!

@Lorna from Canadayou reminded me of an accidental non-chickpea-falafel-tasting meal I made. I had some ground chicken that I made into meatballs and held them together with egg and almond flour. First round I ate them with tomato sauce, but I had the leftovers in a lettuce wrap with my lemon tahini dressing and the chicken meatballs were sooo dry it was just like falafel! Non-vegan falafels without the side effects of legumes! 

It's been busy in here! I've had three very long work days, so no time for anything fun. Eventually things will ease up, surely. I have never been this busy at work...

I decided not to do intros other than a bit of wine on the weekends, at least for now. So far the only non-W30 thing I've had was my 3/4 bottle of wine last weekend, and legumes on Day 31. I just don't feel the need to add anything back in right now. Maybe I'll end up doing the slow-roll approach. I don't know. I figure as long as I stick to W30, I can change my mind at any moment and jump into my next reintro day, which would be non-gluten grains.

Hubby and I are heading up to the mountain cabin for our three-day weekend (Presidents' Day down here), and we'll definitely be popping a Valentine's Day bottle of wine. I actually don't "celebrate" Valentine's Day, but it seems like a good excuse for wine.

@Rebecca001How did your yogurt turn out?

@Lorna from CanadaHmm, what makes a food worth it? I've never experienced any drastic side-effects that would make me avoid a particular food group at all costs, so that wouldn't really play into it for me (if I had, the food would have to be DAMN delicious for me to eat it!). For me, I think the criteria would have to include some combination of the following: a) something special that only comes up during specific times of the year, like pumpkin spice latte in the fall or the Yorkshire pudding my family always has at Christmas; b) something that I eat with other people, since being in a group suppresses my urge to binge; c) something that I can't find outside of that moment, like a decadent appetizer at a fancy restaurant (or dessert, though I don't usually crave dessert); and, of course, d) something that I am REALLY excited to eat. The challenge for me will be to reevaluate "Is It Worth It?" with every single bite, rather than finish off whatever "it" is just because I have trouble stopping once I start. Like the wine last weekend - the first glass was totally worth it, but it went down-hill from there taste-wise.

I am struggling with the scale. I need to remove it from my life again! I've resumed hopping on it every morning, and the number is making me angry. I NEED TO STOP!!!

@becs oh god it was a disaster from start to finish! The first batch was set like rubber (that Agar-agar is powerful stuff) and the second batch - well it smelled delicious, nutty, vanilla-y  - but tasted like thick water. Absolutely tasteless and definitely NOT worth it. After about 2 days of boiling and cooling and sterilising I threw it all in the bin! Now we know why there are no dairy free sugar free yoghurts available, huh? 

the ‘worth it’ debate is an interesting one. I think for me, ‘worth it’ has to be not just the food itself, but also the cumulative effect- or rather, the undoing of the cumulative effect. So now it’s eg, July since I ate cake. So any cake has GOT to be worth breaking 7 months cake free for. The longer I go, the stronger these things become. 
however I have also been thinking about those 4 points about what a good should be, and particularly the ‘healthy psychological response’ bit and have come to the conclusion that that’s where my mind needs to focus at the moment. For some reason (eg a lifetime of food weirdness?) I eat things that I know don’t have a healthy psychological response and somehow have told myself that that’s ‘worth it’ but it isn’t really. So I’m adding a few of those to my ‘not worth it’ list this week 

I appreciate all of you! You really give me a lot to think about on this journey!

8 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

So now it’s eg, July since I ate cake. So any cake has GOT to be worth breaking 7 months cake free for.

This is a "rule" I haven't considered. It's a vague sort of rule but, at the same time, quite focussed. I am going to use it for sugar and gluten moving forward.

14 hours ago, becs said:

food would have to be DAMN delicious for me to eat it!

Right? I have eaten a lot of crap things in my life. No more...

19 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Why is eating this not a good idea - if I can't come up with any reasonable answers, then its in. 

This is also a consideration... the problem for me is I can 'forget' about the sciencey stuff when a plate of food comes near me. Maybe a cheat sheet to check on would make me more aware. I'm unlearning 60 years of automatic behaviours. Even thinking about carrot cake (which I haven't even seen since my b-day last March) gets the groove in my brain chucking along towards craving town. Maybe a circuit breaker like a "let me check my list" could be helpful?

8 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

particularly the ‘healthy psychological response’ bit and have come to the conclusion that that’s where my mind needs to focus at the moment.

Ultimately, this is where I am spending my thinking time too. The "I deserve this because..." of the myriad of reasons needs to be replaced with "My body deserves this because..." in my mind. I've had a crap ton of stress since January 1 - a worsening of my plantar fasciitis in my left foot (I was hoping for a repeat miracle from W30#1 where my right foot PF disappeared - nope) making ambulation difficult; an ear issue I had before Christmas turning into a VERY annoying tinnitus; some totally stressful client encounters that have me thinking about retirement; my daughter's cat dying; C19; not being able to go to Australia - it's been a crap year so far but I have coped really, really well without wine or candy or chocolate or chips or pizza.  I don't need those things to make me feel better and, logically, I know they only make me feel worse both mentally and physically so - yes, that psychological response is the primary focus of my WHOLELORNA rules.

W43 for me today. Easy peasy!

I have decided I’m going to drink tonight because I want to start my next w30 ASAP. Last week red wine made me feel yuck on Saturday so I deliberately chose a dry white, lower alcohol, and a soda water to make a spritzer. It’s end of term and my teacher friends are diving facefirst into Prosecco, gin and Dominoes pizza. Me? I bought 2 mangos to make a salsa and some strawberries and some almond butter (the AB will be on my ‘not worth it’ list from tomorrow, and if you’ve never tried it smeared on strawberries you haven’t lived). I chose not to buy nuts, but instead bought a small bag of posh, organic, veg crisps (chips) made of carrots and beetroot, olive oil, and salt. So.... yeah I could say they aren’t the wisest w30 choices BUT look how much worse they could be. They’re compliant. I feel it’s worth it tonight (god, this school term has dragged like Frankenstein’s monster  pulling a corpse behind him) and we’re human after all! My dinner will be steak, homemade chips, and  salad with mango salsa. 

I’m thinking about making a margarita tonight, the other day I had grapes instead of wine! I am cooking Valentines Day dinner a day early, because I got these beautiful filet mignons at the meat counter on Friday and I like to prepare red meat within a day. Surf and turf -  I am grilling shrimp and will make some garlic drawn butter. Plus sautéed mushrooms and onions and roasted potatoes - need to have some veg. My margaritas are just tequila, lime juice and lime seltzer, so no sugar but definitely alcohol. I’ll see how I feel later! 

That sounds lovely @christine19

Tonight we had our raclette/ hot plate (it’s my son’s favourite dinner) and so I had some seasoned pork belly, lots of salad with tahini and lemon dip, and some mini jacket potatoes. I have felt really tired today and had a very lazy day. 
tomorrow it’s finally going to start warming up here and the forecast for the week ahead is looking to be quite a lot warmer (eg up to 11* from today’s -4*) so I’m happy to have had a restful day today as I want to run, run, run this week!! 

Work is just awful for everyone everywhere right now - sorry your term has been complete crap @Rebecca001 - my teacher friends have had up to their eyebrows. Our gov't has decided to delay March break because everyone's had so much time off and our teachers are ready to walk out. I think everyone needs and deserves a week off per month during this crap time! I;m seriously contemplating retirement - something I did not think I would be ready for until 2023. I am just not coping with clients.

And strawberries with almond butter are the best. I bought some strawberries yesterday and they were local (greenhouse grown, of course, it's a polar vortex (-16*C / 3*F) here) and smell like summer. I will def be having a little AB and SB treat thanks to your reminder!

@christine19 A margarita sounds like summer too. I can't do tequila but a gin and tonic would go down a treat about now! Hope you enjoy every minute of that Valentine's Day dinner! Sounds delicious. We're in no mood to cook after spending the day repairing some hardwood flooring so we're frying up a fillet of trout for dinner - that's it - just trout :) Later we'll eat some chicken fingers dipped in an apricot/chipotle sauce I make and veg and baba ganoush. We won't starve.

Have a good day - it's W44 for me - I think I am going to do a W57 and finish on a Friday. This extended W30 has been very instructive and I am, so far, glad I've done it. 

Dinner was delicious...and I did have a margarita, with only one ounce of tequila (believe me I usually use more!). I literally passed out on the couch while my husband watched a movie, woke up to go to bed and still slept all night. Also my stomach was bothering me. I am a little surprised at the effect, because I know it’s not the food. Glad I only had one drink!  

Oh boy @christine19 that margartia sounded delicious intitially and now it sounds instructive. SO much to think about!

It's Family Day here and I managed to NOT book it off in my calendar so have 3 clients this morning. I am irritated with myself as Hubs is still sleeping and I would like to be too!!! At least I have the afternoon off.

We went out to our daughter's for dinner and she made a lovely, compliant cottage pie which was SO good. She made fruit based ice pops for dessert which may be considered a SWYPO but were so very welcome as a treat I don't care :)It's very nice to have those who love us take care of our dietary needs without fussing. Of course, she's done a couple of W30s so she knows what she's doing when it comes to food for us.

Need more coffee and better get out of my pj's before client #1 in 15 minutes. Make today a great one all!

I’ve had quite a good day today, I am back into that nice easy zone where it just happens and works - what’s the difference? I genuinely think it’s the removal of nuts and fruit and really just focussing on my meals, loading up my plate- and going 4-5-6 hours between meals which just seems to control my appetite so much better. I do believe I am quite ‘insulin resistant’ and constant snacking and IR never go well together. 

breakfast was veg sticks, a chicken thigh, a tablespoon of egg mayo and tahini and lemon dip. I was tempted to take the remainder of my veg sticks to work this morning but decided not to, knowing that if they were there I would eat them but if not I would manage. A nice run after work- in the sunshine, oh  that was such a welcome sight!- and then I came home hungry after 6 hours and ate a lamb roast dinner from yesterday. Tonight I have pork shoulder steak with spicy apple sauce from the W30 book, braised red cabbage and pea mash. 
my meals today have felt rich and hearty. 

I’d like to squeeze in a little yoga this evening, just to show a little care to my achy legs as also to help me sleep as I tossed and turned again last night (although that’s hormonal I think) 

On 2/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, Rebecca001 said:

it’s the removal of nuts and fruit

I am trying to reduce the amount of nuts I eat....so hard without other GF snacks and junk food!  Bought baby carrots and celery to try to have something to crunch on. My husband is missing his bags of potato chips - this has to be the first time he’s gone 6 weeks without them. He is muttering while slicing potatoes and putting them in the oven as I write this! And we are discussing buying an air fryer! LOL  He made chicken soup over the weekend and I smoked some chicken thighs and we have leftover chicken sausage so it’s chicken 3 ways however we want to eat them this week!